Back to standard Antennas for now!

Reaction score
Last week I installed the alpha antennas and my 2 test flights took me around 200m before losing both control and video signal.

Today I re-installed the original antennas, both 2.4 and 5.8. Immediately I got over 700m which is what I was getting before, but my video dropped out at around 350m I reckon. Before I removed the video antennas I had reached around 2000m with papa titas magic power at 24db.

I have some omnis on the way to try, again both in 2.4 and 5.8. Hopefully they'll be here next week.

One question though. When I was removing the internal video antennas last week, I broke off the thin piece of PCB on the bottom right corner of one of the antennas. Could that be why my video signal was nowhere near as good as it was before I stuffed around with it?
See attached pic of the grey arrow showing the piece that broke off

Attachments

• P3S-0030s (2)_LI.jpg
    P3S-0030s (2)_LI.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 489
That little piece shouldn't hurt anything. You should be getting wayyyyyyy more than 200m with Alfas. Something is wrong there. I got a mile in front of my house (very wifi congested) with no problem with 3 Alfa dual band. Silly question, but are you positive you had the right order of the u.fl connectors?

Thanks for replying Matt,

Yes unfortunately I'm 100% sure the u.FL connectors went in the right order. It is pretty hard to get it wrong really, the 5.8 goes next to its own little aluminium heatsink box and the 2 x 2.4's go in either one of the other 2 sockets.

I had another flight last night with all stock antennas, and I got to 964m with steady video pretty much the whole time, so my standards are back to normal.

I might give the alphas another go today and see what happens. Either way I think I will prefer omnis (which I have a few different ones on order). Hopefully they'll be here by Friday and I'll be able to do another test with those.

Update: So I just had another go, but this time with the windsurfer I've had for ages and never got any results. From 970m above, I just got 1604m with the windsurfer before RTH kicked in. I'm happy with that. I'll still be interested to see what the omnis will do for me when they get here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl