B4UFLY vs FAA sectional charts

Reaction score
I am just trying to clarify something. When I launch the B4UFLY app it shows me in an area which says action required I am within 5 miles of an airport and I must notify the ATC. When I look at the FAA sectionals I see the airport but because it is a small one runway airport it does not identify any type of significant airspace around it until I hit the bottom of a class B at 3500 because I am under the outer ring.
I am of the understanding that the B4UFLY app is from the FAA. So can you fly up to 400 around the airport or can you not? Nit looking to fly to 400 but want to get some house photos.

Attachments

• File_000.png
    File_000.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 597
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 6.39.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 6.39.49 PM.png
    516.2 KB · Views: 425
As a hobby flier, you are to notify any airport manager and tower (if they have one ) if you are going to fly within 5 miles of the airport. Other than that, you just follow the rest of the hobby guidelines. The only exception is class B at the surface airspace. Not a problem in the portion of the sectional that you show. As you have apparently figured out, the sectional is the authority and it looks like you know how to read one. Happy flying.

I appreciate the feedback! Does anything change for me if I were to working under a 107?

I appreciate the feedback! Does anything change for me if I were to working under a 107?
Yes under Part 107 you go by Airspace not distance from the airport.

Depending on which airspace you're in you request authority through an online portal or you might be in an area that does not require prior authorization.

If you are a 107 pilot then you know about sectional charts and airspace rules and fly accordingly. The B4UFLY app is for non-107 pilots who don't know the rules of the airspace.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you are a 107 pilot then you know about sectional charts and airspace rules and fly accordingly. The B4UFLY app is for non-107 pilots who don't know the rules of the airspace.

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. I am planning on taking the test in a couple weeks. I must say that understanding the sectionals reduced my impression of many areas that I originally felt like you could not fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31