B&H FPV

Reaction score
I am a newbie and trying to get an FPV setup and need to buy from B&H since its close to me and their replacement policy is impeccable. I would like to see what my GoPro sees. My uses are:

-vacation (beaches, sunsets, waterfalls, nature)
-following my car
-going across the east river
-shots of major bridges
-client work (real estate, weddings, etc)

My budget is about $500.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Should I get a monitor or goggles?

Of the following, which brands should I get?:
a (mini) iOSD
TX that can transmit 3000 feet or more than the Phantom itself
Goggles or monitor
any other items I may need.

Thanks!

the iOSD mini is optional, all it does is overlay telemetry info (height, speed, direction, battery level, etc) over the FPV broadcast. it's nifty, and some might argue it's essential for making sure you don't run out of battery if you're focused on the FPV screen and not watching the Phantom's LEDs (or far away and can't see them) for low battery warning,but it's a corner you can cut if you really need to. I wouldn't.

Goggles are supposed to be great for a more immersive flight experience, but if you've been researching at all you should have noticed that the cheapest, worst goggles start at 250 (half your budget) and go up from there to over 600. For comparison, a decent monitor like the Boscam RX-LCD5802 (common around here) can be found for 150 from asia, leaving you more room for other items. There's comparable monitors at B&H in the low 200's.

If you really lock yourself to B&H, as far as I can tell you're eliminating pretty much everything other than DJI official equipment for the transmitter on the phantom... the DJI AVL58 which supposedly has specs in line with what you want. B&H sells this kit for $209, which has a separate receiver you'll have to plug into a screen but at least it comes with decent antennas.
B&H does sell Fatshark equipment if you go with goggles I believe they'll receive the signal directly.

One thing you didn't mention was antennas. You'll definitely need upgraded antennas, such as the ones that come with that kit mentioned above or I went ahead and splurged on this set from FPVLR.com. They're custom made and tuned. Antennas are just as or more important than the actual transmitter and receiver themselves.

Personally, I bought the core equipment from B&H (P2 + gimbal) but built my own FPV system and I'm really happy with the result. the actual equipment is in my signature and I saved a lot of money. I'm about to upgrade to a TS832 vTx since I'm finding 200mW gets too much interference in the city. I followed a youtube guide and mounted the iOSD and patched all the video cables internally, it's very clean looking on the outside. If you wind up going that route and you're in the city I wouldn't mind helping a fellow Phantom pilot out with the install.

Many of us, including myself, are using the Black Pearl monitor along with the immersion 600mw Vtx. That video transmitter is very small and light.
I have both goggles and the BP monitor and prefer the monitor. It makes the change from FPV to visual much easier. Consider this: you are flying FPV with the goggles at a distance that you can still see and control the Phantom. Something happens with the video downlink and you need /want to take over visually. With the goggles you are going to be very disoriented when you remove them to find the Phantom. With the monitor it is much easier.

I agree with your reason to buy from B+H, I have done so also.

Tom

yea but Tom you didn't get that ImmersionRC vTx or Black Pearl stuff from B&H did you? I couldn't find anything other than the AVL58 and some Fatshark goggles

thank you for the detailed responses. I'm trying to not solder anything. I saw a guy on youtube just pop open the top and plug some wires in. Is that possible if i want 3000 ft range?

jaytrizzle said:
thank you for the detailed responses. I'm trying to not solder anything. I saw a guy on youtube just pop open the top and plug some wires in. Is that possible if i want 3000 ft range?

yes, as I described above. You'll need to use the the DJI AVL58 transmitter, and then the DJI FPV Hub can link the AVL58, iOSD Mini, and H3-3D or H3-2D gimbal all together.

was it this video? you haven't mentioned if your gimbal is the H3-3D or H3-2D

You can do it cheaper and perhaps better with the much smaller and lighter Immersion 600mw Vtx and the Black Pearl monitor. There is a cable available to hook everything up together without any soldering and allow for the Mini Iosd which I highly recommend. It is a true plug n play setup.

I bought everything from Range Video which gives excellent service.

Tom

thanks guys, i bought the FPV kit from B&H and for some reason the range seems to be only 500 feet or so (Horizontally). After more than that, there starts to get snow/static on the Delvcam RX monitor. i have no idea what seems to be the problem. i have the cloverleaf antenna and i bended it so it was facing the floor.

heres the kit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... rnkey.html

This Kit Includes:
DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter
DJI Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro HERO3/HERO3+ for Phantom 2
DJI AVL58 5.8 GHz Video Link Kit
DJI iOSD Mini On Screen Display
Watson 4-Hour Rapid Charger with 4 AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries (2300mAh)
DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter Battery
GO PROFESSIONAL CASES XB-DJI-P2W Hard Case for DJI Phantom 2 with Wheels
Delvcam 7" FPV Monitor with Dual 5.8GHz Wireless Receiver
Watson LP-E6 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1750mAh)
Zacuto Z-CC LP-E6 Compatible Charger
B&H Photo Video PHANTOM2 3DGIMBAL & VIDEO INSTALL

Most issues with poor range come down to the frequency on the receiver being very slightly off. Worth trying different channels and see how you do.

I assume you have cloverleaf antennae on the receiver as well? If so, make sure these match the polarisation on the TX, as they can be left hand or right hand and this makes a huge difference as well.

We are not big fans of the AVL58, too much of a power hog. We use to ship out with the AVL58 and the FPV hub. Simple for the DIYer but it the long run not the greatest. All of our builds leave with the ImmersionRc 600mw and black pearl. Throw on a set of bluebeam ultras and you have a very nice FPV SETUP.

Noiseboy,

The reciever is a Delvcam 7" FPV Monitor with Dual 5.8GHz Wireless Receiver. I was able to get 400 meters verticallly but horizontally, the range is still about 120 meters tops.

B&H doesn't sell much in terms of FPV. AVL58 and 1 or 2 monitors and that's about it.

TBH, you won't get much better than that without spending a bit more on the antennae or putting on a bigger TX.

5.8GHz gets soaked up pretty quickly, so you do need a bit of clout behind it.

We all hear stories or people doing 10Ks or more on this sort of kit, but this is normally with a highly developed ground station and steerable aerial arrays, that sort of thing.

I have a 25mw UK legal TX and also a slightly more powerful one (ahem...) and with a bit of effort, can get 500M from 25mw to a fixed receiver on helical antennae. For just flying in the field with just the Black Pearl, bunging on the higher power TX means 1Km is easy to achieve with a cloverleaf TX and a helical and a cloverleaf on the RX.

Do have a play with channels though, as you may have a minor frequency mis-match.

witold said:
B&H doesn't sell much in terms of FPV. AVL58 and 1 or 2 monitors and that's about it.

agreed that's why we generally send folks elsewhere for FPV components unless they're dying to put together the official DJI kit (AVL58, hub, etc)

Thanks, guys. So at this point, should I get another TX or another antenna? I eventually I may get both, but ATM, I already plopped down 2k + batteries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers