Awsome bird but short range

Reaction score
Hey guys New pilot here I just started flying a week ago over open pasture land and I am only getting about 1200 feet at 200 feet alt. On a p3s, cracked open the tx and all cables looked good but my distance sucks. Just wondering if stock is that bad will a dbs help I'm bitten by the long range bug and can't stop now.

Is there anything in your direct line of sight? I had 1 small tree 30ft away get in between me the other day at 1500 feet and it started RTH. Yesterday I was at 200 ft as well but the closest trees were about 200 feet from me and I got 3300ft and still had control.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Open field no trees kind of scratching my head I know there can be lots of variables but nothing in line of site just got in from flying this morning and its windy but I noticed if I slow down in a straight line and start to lose signal if I give it a second it comes back but still can't get more than 1231 feet still trying different antenna positions and standing on one leg and holding my mouth just right and so on but also maybe just a new pilot and I haven't figured everything out yet.

Fcc United states, looked at wires inside remote all looks good maybe time to start modding now that I have the bug to go farther but it seems a lot shorter distance than what other p3s owners are getting stock, I've been looking through tons of posts and it looks like Dirk is on the right track might have to give it a try.

Is your home point possibly close to a source of interference? I did a range check on mine a few days ago over open land with minimal/no interference and got over 4100' at 400' altitude before the video started to drop out, so 1200' seems way too short. Are you getting video or RC dropouts first, and is it safe to assume you have the external antenna pointed correctly (not meaning to patronize, merely covering the bases)?

No sources of interference I live in a 400 acre ranch so no one around for few miles and I'm on a small elevated hill looking down over open pasture land no trees to block, as far as antenna position I've tried several different positions and I lose receiver way before video and return to home gets triggered, I'm just grasping at straws I still get the feeling my controller is the weakest link goes from full bars to flat nothing in a heart beat.

Hey guys New pilot here I just started flying a week ago over open pasture land and I am only getting about 1200 feet at 200 feet alt. On a p3s, cracked open the tx and all cables looked good but my distance sucks. Just wondering if stock is that bad will a dbs help I'm bitten by the long range bug and can't stop now.
There are so many things that can affect the range. Even if you don't see it. Power lines. Wi-fi in the area. Trees and buildings. I would not worry too much. I did a 4K test the other day. But most of my Filming will be in eye sight. Even if I had another bird. I would not want be filming 2 miles away. I'm not sure I will mod mine. I may just sell it and go for a pro. Or better yet a inspire. But looks like pro beats inspire on distance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm with you. Even out in the middle of nowhere, 1200ft and that's it for me. If I'm ever going to try and get decent footage, that's plenty of range, but for fun flying, its shorter than I expected.

No sources of interference I live in a 400 acre ranch so no one around for few miles and I'm on a small elevated hill looking down over open pasture land no trees to block, as far as antenna position I've tried several different positions and I lose receiver way before video and return to home gets triggered, I'm just grasping at straws I still get the feeling my controller is the weakest link goes from full bars to flat nothing in a heart beat.

Hey Buddy,
From what i have learned with P3 Standards the video feed is the weakest link, and the remote radio RC is the strongest!
All you need to do is re-link your controller with the drone and the problem should be solved.
Follow instructions on page # 24 in the DJI Phantom 3 User Manual:

ReLinkController.jpg

================
Followed by:
- Resetting WiFi Link, page # 26

upload_2016-2-9_2-39-23.png
upload_2016-2-9_2-39-23.png

And finally , If that doesn't help, then you should try:
- Calibrating IMU, and,
- Calibrating compass

Definitely try the first 2, it helps most of the time.
Good luck!!!

link goes from full bars to flat nothing in a heart beat.

Full to none in second at a very short range holding the remote as still as I could prompted me to send mine in for repair.

January 31st Here is a flight I did trying to view the top of the hill behind my house. I had to change max height or I would have ran into the hill.
3000' distant, but I was having to move myself around to view through the trees nearest to me. RTH kicked in so I let it returned wanted to see the video it took before trying again.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Here is why I sent mine in.
Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal

Here was a flight on August 15th

Here was a flight on August 22nd

Here was a flight on September 7th (Starting to give up that I couldn't fix it).

October 13th Here was my first distance test with the replacement.

October 14th Here was my first distance test with home made Windsurfer. Which I made trying to test on the original.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4