Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Awesome RTH video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GMANNZ, Feb 19, 2014.

1. GMANNZ

Looks like hell of a lot of cell towers and powerlines around by the looks .... would have semi put me off flying there ... just in case.

2. reALIGNed

very cool video, thanks

3. TechJunkieRC

Poor thing seemed to be having a temper tantrum at the end. Up down bang, up down bang. The gopro has whiplash! I was surprised about the power lines and cell tower though. I could be wrong but looked less than ideal for a flying spot IMHO.

4. TechJunkieRC

I guess it is not just about the interference aspect. When it hit RTH and started to fly towards those towers I kept seeing the quad tangled in power lines smoking or plowing into a tower. The quad doesn't have to be off much on RTH to run into something that it doesn't know is there. Thank you for the link on interference, however. I will read up on that. I am fortunate that my flying area is in wide open farm country for the most part, however, what you have read about trees is true. They will reach out and grab your quad for no good reason except they can!

5. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Considering he took off pretty much on top of large cell tower, I would tend to agree. But fortunately, no harm, no foul.

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ludLt7GYcE

As with many things, the truth tends to be somewhere between contrasting opinions formed on limited knowledge.

6. HeliRy

Cool video. Funny how it seemed to want to beat the snot out of the camera/landing gear upon "landing" lol.

Either way, guess the video serves as a good lesson not to turn the Tx off if you've had to land quite a ways away with ample battery life left.

7. BruceTS

Wow lucky you decided to return....

here's my TBS Disco almost finished....using a modified Tarot gimbal

Attached Files:

8. Big Ben

On the interference/cell tower thingy. There's frequencies and frequencies of course. This 5.8 GHz controlled FC40 doesn't seem to have a problem with getting close up and personal with a few antennas. :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhGTpLUnYE[/youtube]