Avoiding Phantom in Video Frame

Reaction score
Does anybody have any advice on the best ways to avoid the phantom landing gear in the GoPro camera frame? I'm mainly frustrated with how often the left side of my videos always have the landing gear in the video frame, causing me to have to crop my videos for post production editing. Obviously it's going to happen on sharp turns and yaw movements, but I feel like the gimbal H3-3D I'm using is very slow to adjust.

Has anyone experienced this? Any advice?

Slower, smoother turns? If you're getting all cinematic with it and stuff you're not going to be pulling quick 180s anyway.

I shoot in Medium vs wide or super wide to avoid that. And to keep the props out of the top of the frame I often shoot in 2.7K and zoom or crop in post. That way I can still render a 1080 video, so long as I'm not wanting 60fps of course.

Thanks for all of the tips!

I think part of the problem is that my gimbal might be damaged. It's not completely centered when the phantom is idle. It has a slight angle towards the left landing leg, which makes it more prone to being in the picture. Every time I try to move the gimbal to straighten it, the motor fights me. I've re-calibrated everything, but it's still slightly facing the left landing leg.

I like the idea of shooting in 2.7K, but then you miss out on the GoPro's ability to take photos throughout the video like it can in 1080p.

I centred my camera lens to the middle of the Phantom by moving the gimbal about 1/2 inch across . I am waiting for the weather to improve to test it
Hoping that it will be able to balance OK...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20