AVL58 with iOSD Mini - Mini Plug

Reaction score
The AVL58 has a 3.5mm stereo plug at the end. Is it better to cut the plug and solder the video wires to the iOSD or should I connect the 3.5 mini plug to a female pigtail that connects to the iOsd and power, etc? I don't know if the AVL58 wire with the 3.5mm is a shielded cable, and cutting it would mess up the shielding. Thanks.

Cor Brink: Thank you for your response or lack off. I have not found any posts dealing with the use of the 3.5mm plug that comes standard with the AVL58. There are many posts, as you mention, dealing with cutting the wires. That led me to my question of why people would rather cut the wires than using a male plug to mate the existing cable. Am I missing something?

Regarding your comment, personally, I try to be helpful in responding to fellow hobbyist questions, and not critical. You are welcome to check my 157+ posts (I noticed that you joined three days ago and have 8 posts). Luckily, this Forums and its members, including myself, are genuinely trying to help fellow hobbyists, instead of providing unhelpful criticism. :D

rmklaw said:
The AVL58 has a 3.5mm stereo plug at the end. Is it better to cut the plug and solder the video wires to the iOSD or should I connect the 3.5 mini plug to a female pigtail that connects to the iOsd and power, etc? I don't know if the AVL58 wire with the 3.5mm is a shielded cable, and cutting it would mess up the shielding. Thanks.

Cable shielding is no issue. It makes no sense to waste limited space and add unnecessary weight and components, so cutting and soldering the cables makes much more sense.

rmklaw said:

I had the same question/issue. See my thread here:
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5663
ravecreative put together a short video that was helpful. I snipped the AVL cable, just behind the T-junction and then followed his "lead".

s.

Thanks guys. My concern was any shielding before cutting. Makes sense to just cut and solder the four wires.

rmklaw said:
Thanks guys. My concern was any shielding before cutting. Makes sense to just cut and solder the four wires.

Sorry if I offended you but there are so many different threads dealing with the same topics that I got the idea that forum etiquette is not really followed here.
As for the cut and solder setup don't tie your wires together after the work is done as you will have no signal. Happened to me...

It's OK. What do you mean by not tying the wires together? Do you mean the power set tied together with the video set? I don't follow you.

If you are familiar with wiring and soldering, it should be common sense not to loop power wires around signal wires, etc. I think something like that is what he's talking about. Just don't make loops with the wires and try not to let the power wires wrap around the video wires, etc. and you will be fine. I have had mine wired a few different ways and never experienced any problems.

Agree. I am actually cutting the signal wire after the Y keeping the power wire coming from the Y junction intact. That way, they are totally separated.

rmklaw said:
It's OK. What do you mean by not tying the wires together? Do you mean the power set tied together with the video set? I don't follow you.

Correct, as mentioned above, don't run power- and signal wires together. Sounds like you have it sorted.

Thanks. I will just cut the mini plug and leave power alone so each set have separate insulation.

While on the topic. anybody has ideas how to re-screen signal wires to maybe improve video quality? I did put long heat shrinks on but there are some bare patches.

Cor Brink said:
While on the topic. anybody has ideas how to re-screen signal wires to maybe improve video quality? I did put long heat shrinks on but there are some bare patches.

The video signal is a low quality, analog, composite video feed so no matter what you do, you can never get better quality than that. If that is what you mean, you are out of luck. Unless you have visible interference that you know is from bad cable shielding, I really doubt that would be causing any significant interference. If you are having electrical interference or a weak connection, it is probably a cold solder joint, cables too long, or something along those lines, not lack of proper shielding.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4