AVL58 VS Boscam TS351

Reaction score
Does it make any difference to the range witch one of these i use? AVL58 is 500 mW and the Boscam is 200 mW. Is there any considerable range differences between a 200 mW and 500 mW?

Okay so i could have bought either one of them and still have about the same range if they have the same antennas? Then i paid about 100 USD more than necessary, the AVL58 was 174 USD and the Boscam 200 mW was about 72 USD. I did the mistake to listen to the seller in the store instead of thoroughly studying the items i´m maybe about to buy. Of course the owner of the small private RC hobby store wants to sell the most expensive item….i guess?
But i was also thinking that the AVL58 is made by DJI so its the same brand as the drone, maybe its more compatible with the P2?

So is there no pros with the AVL58 compared to the Boscam TS351? Don't the price difference of 100 USD indicate that the AVL58 is superior in some way, or maybe its the DJI brand that costs more money than the Boscam? I was just curious why he thought i should have the AVL58 instead of the Boscam, if not for the price? It didn't cross my mind to ask him because i had so many other questions to ask about the other items i purchased.

The Phantom said:
or maybe its the DJI brand that costs more money than the Boscam?

Pretty much ;)

One of the benefits to the AVL58 though is the simplicity of connections...it's generally plug-n-play on the Phantom, where the boscam will usually require at least some splicing.

The DJI is more plug and play with Zenmuse and hard wiring, whereas Boscam or any other after market requires wiring soldering, etc. Also w/ DJI you get match antennas vs the "rubber ducks" that come with aftermarket TXs.

As mentioned above, it all comes down to antennas. I've gone through half a dozen brands before settling on the FatShark "reds" - $40 set through ReadymadeRC, matched with Black Pearl dual diversity and made my own spiral helical antenna. BTW I use Boscam T832 Txs - I like the versatility in being able to change channels and freqs easily.

Okay some benefit then, question is if its worth 100 USD? But i think he told me that i need to solder the AVL58 cables if i didn't have the DJI cable and hub kit? Unfortunately it was out of stock in the store, and i don't want to order one online and wait for it, i think i try to solder it if thats whats needed? I also have a iosd mini that needs to be installed at the same time. I just need to find a good installation guide, the two i found on Youtube was unnecessarily complicated.

So the TX power difference of 300 mW makes no difference what so ever in terms of range? Its only about the antennas, or?

You say the AVL58 needs no soldering, but do you mean with the DJI Cable and Hub kit?

The Phantom said:
You say the AVL58 needs no soldering, but do you mean with the DJI Cable and Hub kit?

Depends on whether you have the iOSD mini as well. If not, the AVL58 should connect directly to the Phantom's mainboard with the cables that come with it. If you do have the iOSD mini then you will need DJI's FPV hub to avoid all soldering. Most every DJI dealer carries the part, and I think you can get it on Amazon too.

So it's possible you may have to do soldering either way, and if that's not an issue for you the boscam might be the better option for you (the antenna question notwithstanding). And, the boscam weighs a fair bit less than the AVL58 unit...maybe half, if I remember correctly.

Yes the weight is a good thing for the Boscam, but i have already bought the AVL58 because the dealer recommended the AVL58. As i said earlier the DJI Cable and Hub kit was sold out and i don't want to wait a week to get that part if i order online, and yes i have the iosd mini also.
Soldering is no problem if i just know which cables should be soldered to where? I guess many people on this forum has done that AVL58+IOSD Mini soldering, so somebody should be able to point me to a good guide. I found two instructional videos on youtube but they where described in a unnecessary complicated way. But i guess i will have to use any of those if somebody here hasn't got a better guide.

By the way, what is some good accessories to have? Im thinking of buying the prop guards and some extra propellers, and maybe an extra battery. Also a carrying bag made specially for the Phantom 2 can be a good investment.
What accessories do you consider important ?

Prop guards are good to use when you're first learning to fly and not crash, but you should take them off later as they work against you once you no longer need the training wheels. Just be sure to NOT use the prop guard screws again once you take them off, they can penetrate and ruin your motors.

A carrying case or pack is extremely useful once you're ready to leave your backyard with it, there's quite a few options for those now, usually in the $150-$250 range. I have a hardside case with wheels and custom cut foam for the Phantom and I love it.

Definitely get at least one set of spare props, the stock ones DJI gives you are just about as good as any out there so I just keep stocked up on those.

You'll probably need a good mount for your FPV monitor too. This place has a great option for that: http://www.raveaerialvideo.com/product/ ... tor-mount/

What monitor will you be using?

Thanks for your input, well i already have a mount for the monitor, it costed 40 USD for a small piece of aluminium, that was a robbery. Anyway, so the carbon propellers are not better you say?
Yes the case seems very important when carrying it around, but those are also very expensive. I wonder if it will be much cheaper to buy a case that is not made specifically for the Phantom and then cut some foam yourself?

I have bought a Boscam 7" monitor with built in receiver.

The Phantom said:
I wonder if it will be much cheaper to buy a case that is not made specifically for the Phantom and then cut some foam yourself?

It certainly can be. This is the case I use (I just got a custom cut insert elsewhere)...you can get it with the pick-n-pluck foam you can shape as you wish: http://www.seahorse920cases.com/

I'm not sure what sunshade comes with that boscam monitor, but if you find you need a better one here's a good option: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=2221 (once they get them back in stock)

As for the props, it's rare that carbon fiber options will give you any benefit over DJI's stock blades, and they usually introduce more headache and hassle than it's worth.

Thanks, yes that looks okay, it was a nice design on that case, exactly what i had in mind, and with the foam its about 100 USD, thats a reasonable price i think. i personally don't think a case shall cost many hundreds of dollars. I have seen cases for Phantoms for as much as 400 USD. Thats about half of what the P2 itself costs.
How much was the shipping?

I got it from another retailer than the one I linked, but they've bumped up the prices since then. I think shipping was $10-15 at most. You can check other prices, just google for "Seahorse 920 case"...there's several places that sell them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers