AVL58 Only Good For About 20 Yards - Thoughts?

Ok, so stupid question that I didn't think to ask earlier - how can you tell if the transmitter is burned out?

Does it just get bricked and useless altogether? Is there anything that you see that shows evidence of burnout on the TX itself (something blown on the board, etc)?

Aside from having equipment to test the actual power output, is it pretty much just a guessing game based on the range you get?

By the way, I really appreciate everyone's patience and helpfulness with my questions so far. There are some places that aren't so kind to newbies. You all have been great!

So I went ahead and got the ImmersionRC transmitter, which showed up yesterday. In-home, it seems to be working just fine (although I did have to google how to change the band on my Black Pearl monitor). Unfortunately, it's way too windy here today to try for an outside test. But I do have one question before I do...

The antenna jack on the TX is a "female" style plug and the dipole antenna that is comes with has a "male" plug.

I do still have the cloverleaf antenna that came with the AVL58. However, that plug is also "female".

So, the question is, when it comes to antennas and transmitters, does it matter between male and female? Can I only use the dipole that came with the Immersion, or can I also use the cloverleaf? Obviously, I don't want to burn this one out because I used the wrong antenna.

Here are pix of all three

View attachment 35746 View attachment 35747 View attachment 35748

Ok, so stupid question that I didn't think to ask earlier - how can you tell if the transmitter is burned out?

Does it just get bricked and useless altogether? Is there anything that you see that shows evidence of burnout on the TX itself (something blown on the board, etc)?

Aside from having equipment to test the actual power output, is it pretty much just a guessing game based on the range you get?

By the way, I really appreciate everyone's patience and helpfulness with my questions so far. There are some places that aren't so kind to newbies. You all have been great!

If you what to use the AVL58 cloverleaf antennas you can but you will need the the correct adapter as both the antenna and TX are female.
1pce Adapter 90° RP.SMA female plug to SMA male plug connector right angle M/F

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic