AVL58 - Mini Iosd wiring diagram

Hi,

Question for you -- my AVL58 came with a chunky cable that has a 3.5mm male plug (for video) and a Deans Connector for Power.

Did you butcher this cable for your install? If so, where did you do your cuts? After the Y or before? ..and if you did, which wires on the video side did you then splice with the IOSD mini? If not, you must have got hold of a 8 wire ribbon to fit straight into AVL58 TX Module?

I am reluctant to butcher the stock cable - but am stuck as to how to move forward without doing so!

TIA.

s.
(p2 + H3-2d + AVL58 + iOSD mini + Datalink)

Yeh. Butchered the cable.
I used a scalpel to remove the unwanted pins from the avl58 plug, and cut the wires as close to the round moulded plastic bit as I could to give me as much wire as poss to work with.

Are you in the uk? If you are and you are unsure about doing it, ship me the wires and ill do it for you if you want.
It's pretty easy.

Ravecreative said:
Yeh. Butchered the cable.
I used a scalpel to remove the unwanted pins from the avl58 plug, and cut the wires as close to the round moulded plastic bit as I could to give me as much wire as poss to work with.

Are you in the uk? If you are and you are unsure about doing it, ship me the wires and ill do it for you if you want.
It's pretty easy.

That's very kind of you - unfortunately I'm in the USA -- so will step into the breach and do this myself - yikes.
When I cut the cable, is it obvious which wire does what? i.e. red and black for power, brown for ground and yellow for video or something? But then there are 8 wires in this cable -- so how exactly do I know which ones to use. Sorry for the cretinish questions...

s.

Yeh it's simple.

I've drawn a couple of diagrams, and put photos on the forums about this.
Also if you really get stuck I can do a quick video of mine to show you where all the wires are.

hey- i did it anyways :)

i sound so rubbish on video - ahhhh!
also its from my iPhone, so its not the video of the century, but i hope it makes it a bit easier

btw - i cut the avl58 original wire as close to the plastic centre bit as i could to give me a load of spare wire
and i removed the un-needed pins from the avl58 plug with the end of a scalpel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/in60lbddpktogn0/wiring.MOV

Ravecreative said:
hey- i did it anyways :)

i sound so rubbish on video - ahhhh!
also its from my iPhone, so its not the video of the century, but i hope it makes it a bit easier

btw - i cut the avl58 original wire as close to the plastic centre bit as i could to give me a load of spare wire
and i removed the un-needed pins from the avl58 plug with the end of a scalpel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/in60lbddpktogn0/wiring.MOV

That is extremely thoughtful of you! THANKS. This is my project for the AM - will report back on my progress!

s.

It's all attached using vhb tape.
We use it for signage at work.
It's the same tape they use to stick wings on 737s -seriously LOL

Just need to make sure you degrease the surface first
I use IPA, as it leaves no residue.
This is really important, as tapes are a living surface, what sticks today can absorb
Grease and fail in a few weeks when the grease had migrated over the surface.
I know that sounds a bit stupid, but after a few embarrassing sign failures I've learnt the hard way :-(

3m make some, it's quite pricy, if you have issues finding it I could send you some but it'd
Cost a bit in postage.

Right. The time is upon us. One final question before I start (I bet it's not the final question!).
I figure I shd detach the ribbon cable that comes with the P2 and do all my work on a clean flat surface...so how do I detach that ribbon? Or shd I leave it in place?

OMG - did it! ..and it works!

ravecreative - you ROCK. Thank you.

IMG_00000338.jpg

Followed all your directions - with three exceptions:

• 1. Wired the P2 provided power cables to all 4 of the AVL58 power cables (as suggested in the AVL58 manual).
  • 2. I wimped out and left the cables a bit long so had a bit more wiring tidy up to do
  • 3. I installed the datalink unit under the iosd mini in anticipation of the Ground Software being enabled

Anyway - powered everything up and vavoom.
IMG_00000339.jpg

Now time to tidy up the ground side of things! Unfortunately it's now dark out - so we'll have to wait until tomorrow before we take-off!

ravecreative - thanks again.

Glad to be of help. I was in the same position when I did this.
Pretty scary when I first plugged it all back in
Although I was fairly confident in my wiring, I was still waiting for the puff of smoke. LOL

Oh yeh last thing, you know that you can turn off the OSD data from the gopro so you don't get that annoying wifi / protune etc bits in the background.
It took me ages to realise that the gopro was doing that.

how good it the video on the AVL58 and what range do you get?

The video is really good actually. It's obviously analogue, not digital, so it does have odd bits if interference
But on the whole it's a strong reliable picture

I've had about 800 meters with no loss of signal.
It will probably go much further , but I've not needed to fly that far away as yet.
I do have the dji cloverleaf antennas though.

Ravecreative said:
The video is really good actually. It's obviously analogue, not digital, so it does have odd bits if interference
But on the whole it's a strong reliable picture

I've had about 800 meters with no loss of signal.
It will probably go much further , but I've not needed to fly that far away as yet.
I do have the dji cloverleaf antennas though.

Thanks Rave,
Would you recommend it over something else, like this

http://www.banggood.com/FPV-5_8G-Boscam ... 83414.html
http://www.banggood.com/Boscam-FPV-5_8G ... 15390.html

I can't really comment as I've not tried them. Only the avl58
They are obviously lighter than the dji version. I only went for the dji option as after a few long discussions with the U.K. Resellers they persuaded me that this option was a much better constructed and quality item.

But I didn't try anything else , so I can't say wether it's better

It has always been good quality though

I went through the same process, and everyone recommended the AVL58 for its high quality and the casing with fan. I have no complaints. It works perfect with both the AVL58 receiver and with the Lilliput 664/O/P/W built-in receiver. I have not checked range yet because I am still in the "chicken flying" stage.

Thanks Rave/rmklaw. I have gone with the AVL58, I am expecting the phantom 2 and gopro monday and the avl58 towards the end of the week. I'm so excited I just can't wait so I've started reading the manuals (who has time to read when you have the package in your hands and you just want to get that thing up in the air :lol: ).

I have a question on the manual (http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .04_en.pdf) page 6 says:

"We recommend connecting the VBat+ port of the video cable to the two BATT+ ports of the AVL58
simultaneously. The same is true of the GND port of the video cable and two BATT- ports."

What does that mean? :?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik