Avegent Glyph or DJI goggles

Reaction score
I have ordered the HDMI board for my phantom 3 advance. Should I go with the Avegent Glyph or DJI goggles?

I own both the Avegant Glyph headset and DJI Goggles. While both are good options, here are some things I can tell you about them:

Avegant Glyph:
  • Much more compact and easier to transport
  • Completely covers your ears making it harder to hear what's going on around you
  • The included nose pieces might not fit your nose exactly (I use mine with the nose piece placeholder that's installed on the headset when unboxing it)
  • If they are too far away from your face, the corners of the image will be blurry (try all included nose pieces to see which works best)
  • While wearing them, you can easily look down and see your phone/tablet

DJI Goggles:
  • Very large (the largest FPV goggles I've ever used)
  • While a lot heavier than the Avegant Glyph, the weight feels pretty good since it's balanced well on your head
  • The picture is a lot larger than the Avegant Glyph headset
  • While wearing them, you cannot see anything outside of the goggles (they do easily flip up though)

Reactions: Stach
I own both the Avegant Glyph headset and DJI Goggles. While both are good options, here are some things I can tell you about them:

Avegant Glyph:
  • Much more compact and easier to transport
  • Completely covers your ears making it harder to hear what's going on around you
  • The included nose pieces might not fit your nose exactly (I use mine with the nose piece placeholder that's installed on the headset when unboxing it)
  • If they are too far away from your face, the corners of the image will be blurry (try all included nose pieces to see which works best)
  • While wearing them, you can easily look down and see your phone/tablet

DJI Goggles:
  • Very large (the largest FPV goggles I've ever used)
  • While a lot heavier than the Avegant Glyph, the weight feels pretty good since it's balanced well on your head
  • The picture is a lot larger than the Avegant Glyph headset
  • While wearing them, you cannot see anything outside of the goggles (they do easily flip up though)

Went with the glyphs versus a ziess VR which I returned. I am pretty sure that a bluetooth earpiece device can give you dji go audible messages from the iphone(or android).
Have used the FPVs to precision land on a 2' by 2' 3000 ft out. Even with strobe lights on the P4 3000 ft + is way out of line of sight.
Nose cushions are not made for everyones nose bridge but they can be bent for a better fit.

I enjoy the Avegant Glyphs immensely with my P3P. Definitely adds a whole new enjoyment factor to flying the drone.
I tried fatsharks and another glasses option and returned them. One of those things you have to try to see how you like them (expensive try-it).
But - also have a Mavic which does not have hdmi output - so have DJI goggles arriving Monday (they say). I like the idea of no cable attached to the control - but don't like the extra bulk.

I like the Avegant Glyphs But if I get the DJI they would be better if I get the Mavic later on. How do you like the Mavic compared to the P3P?

if I get the DJI they would be better if I get the Mavic later on
True. You'll definitely want the DJI Goggles when flying a Mavic. It's really nice being able to connect everything up wirelessly.

How do you like the Mavic compared to the P3P?
They are completely different aircraft really. If I could only have one, I'd choose the Mavic. Between the P4P and Mavic, I'd choose the P4P.

I like the Avegant Glyphs But if I get the DJI they would be better if I get the Mavic later on. How do you like the Mavic compared to the P3P?
For me - the Mavic is just more fun. Easier to pick up and go. More fun to fly around. Some of the software features like active track are fun to use.
But at the end of the day - if I'm trying to get quality video and pictures - I take the P3P. Yes - I can get the Mavic to take pretty good video and pictures - but as soon as I compare them to shots from the P3P,
I like the images with the P3P noticeably better. So I use both drones quite a bit. If I'm flying somewhere that's hard to get to - or want to be as low profile / unobtrusive as possible - the Mavic is ideal.
Eventually I plan to keep the Mavic, sell the P3P and get a P4 Pro for the better camera. No hurry - I'll wait to see the P5. Hoping it will have work wirelessly with the goggles and have an awesome camera
and fix horizon tilt. (or if not at least drive the P4 pro prices down).

I enjoy the Avegant Glyphs immensely with my P3P. But - also have a Mavic which does not have hdmi output - so have DJI goggles arriving Monday (they say).

Have fun and please let us know what you think of the DJI Goggles and also how they compare to your Glyphs, as I still think that I would prefer the Glyphs due to the smaller size and convenience.

Have fun and please let us know what you think of the DJI Goggles and also how they compare to your Glyphs, as I still think that I would prefer the Glyphs due to the smaller size and convenience.
My first impressions of flying with the DJI goggles is that I like the Glyphs better. If they worked with the Mavic, I'd just have Glyphs. The Goggles were fun - bigger screen image. Was definitely more fun to fly with them than without. But trying to take and frame picture and video -
I couldn't really get a sharp focus with my set. I kept trying to re-focusing the camera. The video on the SD card looks sharp Dork factor I think is higher - prefer the Jorde LaForge look on the Glyphs. The Glyphs have a focus adjustment so I can use them with my tired eyes without glasses.
The Goggles don't have a focus adjustment - so us older folks have to use readers.

Whiskey_Throttle, so how do your Glyphs compare to your new DJI Goggles???

Whiskey_Throttle, so how do your Glyphs compare to your new DJI Goggles???
The glyphs advantages are :
1) It is easy to view your tablet when desired - keeps a modicum of situational awareness of your surroundings.
2) It is able to focus to accommodate for those of us with poor eyesight. I am very nearsighted and mildly farsighted. The Glyph image is clear with no glasses, with contacts, with my progressive glasses.
Whatever I have on - it can be adjusted to be in focus.
3) Relatively small form factor - Jorde Laforge dorky vs VR headset dorky with the Goggles
4) works great in direct sunlight - I wear a visor to shield the top.

The goggles with the mavic pro:
1) No cable - very nice. With the mavic it just links right up - no fuss.
2) Bigger screen view. Also great in bright sunlight.
3) Arguably clearer screen - if you can get to focus with poor eyesight. Bit of a big issue for me.
I have to wear contacts with readers to focus - will likely buy a set of glasses just for use with the goggles.
4) Other features (head tracking, etc) meh - I'm just looking for the clearest image in bright sunlight.
5) Little more likely to get a bit seasick with these than the Glyphs.

So right now - I tend to use the Glyphs with my P3P, the Goggles with the Mavic.
For me - I enjoy flying the P3P / Glyphs combo more. Largely because of the ability to get the Glyphs screen in focus with my eyesight.
I am still working on a contact/ glasses solution for the goggles. If my eyes were better - it would be a toss up.

Whiskey_Throttle, thanks for sharing your thoughts and comparison as it was exactly what I was looking for. I'm very nearsighted as well and don't really want a huge hunk of plastic on my head, so I was already leaning towards the Glyphs, and this basically confirmed it. Now I just need to try out a pair from Best Buy to see what I think.

Thanks again!
Stach

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20