Avegant Glyph FPV

Reaction score
Have had a look on the forum for best FPV glasses and would like to hear from anyone using the Glyph.
Are they as good as they are made out to be?
How easy to set up? (P3P). I know about the HDMI module that needs to go with.
Can you view telemetry data?
and any other comments.
Thanks in advance and may you all have a fantastic 2017.

I am extremely happy with my Glyphs. It's like getting a new drone! First, the bad- if you need reading glasses you may not be able to focus the image. Also, they take some adjustments with the nosepiece and headband to get comfortable.
So many good things though...excellent image with no lag in full sunlight. If you have trouble seeing your tablet/phone in the sunshine, this is the answer.
It's not full immersion, more like looking at a 50" TV from about 6 feet away. You can see above and below the image, so you can look down at the controller or up at the drone at any time. It shows speed, alt, and distance in the display. The Glyphs come with a 6 foot hdmi cord, you just need an adapter to plug into the back of the controller, since it's a mini hdmi. Then the cool part. If you are comfortable flying without your tablet hooked up you plug the usb connector from the controller to your Glyphs and you have head tracking control of the gimble!
Not to mention I use the Glyphs for watching movies and playing video games. Epic!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

These were attractive goggles at $439 price but prices have gone up again.

Picture quality is excellent. Easy to setup, connect to hdmi or USB port.

You see telemetry what's shown by DJI , it has no telemetry of its own.

Cons: nose support and adjusting focus. Could have been made lighter. Price has gone up again so no more attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: sonof40
Thanks guys. I do use reading glasses +2. Is there not enough space to wear glasses?

I am extremely happy with my Glyphs. It's like getting a new drone! First, the bad- if you need reading glasses you may not be able to focus the image. Also, they take some adjustments with the nosepiece and headband to get comfortable.
So many good things though...excellent image with no lag in full sunlight. If you have trouble seeing your tablet/phone in the sunshine, this is the answer.
It's not full immersion, more like looking at a 50" TV from about 6 feet away. You can see above and below the image, so you can look down at the controller or up at the drone at any time. It shows speed, alt, and distance in the display. The Glyphs come with a 6 foot hdmi cord, you just need an adapter to plug into the back of the controller, since it's a mini hdmi. Then the cool part. If you are comfortable flying without your tablet hooked up you plug the usb connector from the controller to your Glyphs and you have head tracking control of the gimble!
Not to mention I use the Glyphs for watching movies and playing video games. Epic!

Head tracking control of the gimbal would be just the pan up and down on a P3P and not the yaw of the drone itself. Is that right?

Thanks guys. I do use reading glasses +2. Is there not enough space to wear glasses?

I just tried the Glyphs with my glasses on...work fine. As for the yawing with head tracking, I only tried the head tracking feature indoors, not flying. I'll test for yaw movement when the weather warms up a little.

I just tried the Glyphs with my glasses on...work fine. As for the yawing with head tracking, I only tried the head tracking feature indoors, not flying. I'll test for yaw movement when the weather warms up a little.

Thanks again might bite the bullet and get a Glyph

Have had a look on the forum for best FPV glasses and would like to hear from anyone using the Glyph.
and any other comments.
The Avegant Glyph is an absolute killer set of goggles. I tried the VR box goggles, and the HeadPlays, both of which I couldn't get to fit my head properly. I also tried the Vuzix iWear goggles which fit me OK. The only real drawback is that, like the VR box goggles and the HeadPlay, you can't see out. Then a friend bought a pair of the Avegant Glyph goggles and let me try them. I ordered a pair that afternoon. They have several adjustments and I could get them to fit my head properly. The image is clearer and brighter by far than any other set of goggles. They are not enclosed so I can see out both up and down. And, in direct sunlight. The build quality is excellent. These really are the best choice IMHO.

The Avegant Glyph is an absolute killer set of goggles. I tried the VR box goggles, and the HeadPlays, both of which I couldn't get to fit my head properly. I also tried the Vuzix iWear goggles which fit me OK. The only real drawback is that, like the VR box goggles and the HeadPlay, you can't see out. Then a friend bought a pair of the Avegant Glyph goggles and let me try them. I ordered a pair that afternoon. They have several adjustments and I could get them to fit my head properly. The image is clearer and brighter by far than any other set of goggles. They are not enclosed so I can see out both up and down. And, in direct sunlight. The build quality is excellent. These really are the best choice IMHO.
Thanks Bud That's what appealed to me was the ability to see up and down.

Thanks Bud That's what appealed to me was the ability to see up and down.
Oh, and maybe I forgot to mention. I've noticed that the neighborhood dogs don't bark at me after I've been using my Avegant Glyph goggles.;)

Hi Phantom Pilots..
When U plug-in Glyph HMDI cable in2 DJI Phantom4 controller/ iPhone drone camera image lost.
Is there any info how to keep the Glyph image & controller/ iPhone image @ the sametime?
YoungErnie..

Attachments

• IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 460
Enable the following setting in DJI GO:

DJI-GO-HDMI-Image-Output.png

Dears,
short story. currently, the Glyph is my "perfect" FPV solution

Long story: [please see the "short story" one] ;)

Jokes aside, so far I've tried several FPV "legacy" goggles, the Headplay and the Zeiss Cinemizer but no solution ever came close to the "perfect" one for FPV.

In a nutshell: image is crystal sharp - the BEST I have ever seen -, no pixels are seen, FOV is decent, you still retain "environmental awareness" (you can still look up to see your drone or down to see your table/phone), comfort is good, customization is good (in terms of dioptric, interpupillary distance, lens elevation). I was using a P4P, both with manual video transmission set to best bitrate, 5GHz band and in auto.

Only glitch I had was not being capable to have 100% visual of the image corners (unless literally pushing the lenses on my eyes...), but with some time you get acquainted eventually.

Just one caveat: their customer care seems a bit "green" to me and not properly fulfilling their obligation with the customers. The first unit I received was faulty (battery not charging properly), after some emails they were about to RMA it when suddenly they said a RMA was not possible because I made my purchase through Amazon and, I quote, "Amazon wasn't supposed to sell the glyph outside US" ... and this appears highly weird to me;)

Bottom line: according to my experience, Glyph is HIGHLY recommended (but not the customer care!)

cheers
fabbio

Stevedots have you tried it again for longer range? I have a P4P+ that I would like to get goggles for. But, like you, I would prefer a set of goggles for long range and not for racing.

Can't wait for the dang snow to go away. I thought I was "weather moody" owning a motorcycle, now that I have a drone I'm even worse....LOL.

and any other comments.
New to the Glyphs, actually just received them today. Initial thoughts are "Great" setup took maybe 10 minutes overall, I refer to manuals as a last result, character flaw I suppose. Excellent imagery, very clear, sharp and brightness level is good. I'm using them with a phantom 4 pro running Litchi software and the combination seems quite pleasing. I can use my iPad and Glyphs simultaneously, if the glasses take a dump I can look at the iPad. The fact you can leave them on ans still look down at your TX or up at your drone is reassuring. And yes, the telemetry is displayed. I'm pretty sure you will like them.

I've owned a pair of Avegant Glyphs now for about 3 flights. Very good goggles. They are not screens you look into but rather millions of tiny mirrors that project the image from your controller into your retina. They are focus adjustable like a pair of binoculars so if you have minor eye corrections like reading glasses, you might be able to get by without them on. I wear contact lenses myself and have no trouble getting crystal clear images. I fly the P4P Plus with its' own "crystal sky" display built into the controller. The image I see through the glyphs is the exact data and telemetry from the controller, including the boot-up display, etc. I am very happy with the glyphs. They enable me to do things I wouldn't normally be able to do with just the controller display. The other day I flew my bird down into a deep canyon for some unique footage. I was able to accomplish this feat easily and with confidence of not crashing into the water or canyon walls using the glyphs! I initially was keen on buying the Zeiss Cinemizer but decided to take "alokbhargava's" advice and try the glyphs...I'm very glad I did.

Reactions: picky
Do these cover the eyes enough to block out the sun?
I want to say Yes, however it has been pretty overcast here since I received them. There has been a day or two of sunny WX but I've been enjoying them so much I don't recall an issue with the sun. I will get back to you the next sunny day we have.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20