Ceramic yes, but not an Egg. Mine is a Primo XL, it's the same concept though. I love it!

10-4 on the pic size.
I recently was given an unused cheap Brinkmann charcoal smoker I would like to try my hand at.
When I was a kid my dad built an electric smoker from plywood and he used to use a mixture of his own chips and corn cobs.
We used to smoke salmon in it as 'Salmon Creek" ran through my backyard growing up.
Do you procure your own wood chips or do you buy them? Any recommendations?

Reactions: dirkclod
I recently was given an unused cheap Brinkmann charcoal smoker I would like to try my hand at.
When I was a kid my dad built an electric smoker from plywood and he used to use a mixture of his own chips and corn cobs.
We used to smoke salmon in it as 'Salmon Creek" ran through my backyard growing up.
Do you procure your own wood chips or do you buy them? Any recommendations?

I prefer the chunks over the chips. Most of the time I use apple wood, our local Publix carries them. I think HD and Lowes also carry them. I just mix 8 or 10 in with the lump.

I started with a cheap Char Griller with the side fire box. It was OK but required constant attention to maintain the right temp, 225 - 240. It would also burn through a ton of charcoal because of heat loss through the thin metal and the fact that it wasn't airtight. It did make me appreciate the Primo even more. :D

I've been using the primo lump charcoal. Publix carries their own brand, Greenwise I think is the name and it is pretty good. Everything else I've tried is crap in comparison. The two butts I posted the pic of above took 21 hours for the big one and 18 for the other. I had enough charcoal left to go another 10 hours+. The Primo is truly a set it and forget it.

If you have any questions, let me know. Always like to talk smokin'.:cool:

About an hour to go. :cool:

image.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: J Dot and Marlin009
Unlike Dirk,
I'm cooking GORMET, tonight
F2459144-B0CB-4394-A42E-9A95835A4FA1_zps01ltqszn.jpg

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot

After seeing all your toys, this doesn't surprise me. :D

Reactions: dirkclod and J Dot
Reactions: J Dot
Yup, all those heads can get to you. Now all you need is a great cat avatar and you will have it purrrrrrrfect!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl