AutoPilot

Question...if you take off using Autopilot then switch to Go your bird will still know your homepoint.

This is exactly what happened to me. To be safe I run my critical battery function at 15%.

FWIW your Phantom never "forgets" the home point...the question is really whether or not you can initiate the RTH function. I have done this many times by just flipping the toggle switch on the left side of the RC.

Last edited:
I also would recommend to set the "telemetry timeout" to no more than 2 seconds. Imagine the quad racing towards an obstruction with a longer timeout. Even 2 seconds sounds like an eternity... The quad will hover and autopilot will disengage when timeout occurs until you regain control or the battery goes critical.

I had a nice scenic flight planned with autopilot and I ended up losing signal just as the quad was reaching a 200 foot rock wall (climbing area). Bird out of sight (LOS, but about 3/4 mile away). It should not have happened. At that point I had no idea where the Quad was. I moved to regain connection and brought the bird back.. 2 more seconds moving in the direction where it lost signal and it would have been goodbye!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Autopilot is absolutely great for all kinds of really cool stuff, but ONLY as long as you are absolutely sure to remain in contact/control. I had to move to Litchi for waypoint missions in mountainous terrain. At least Litchi will complete the flight path even though it will not do a good job pitching the camera smoothly while out of connection. Neither is perfect. The only thing we know for sure is that we don't know if and when connection is lost. That is scary but with Litchi the bird is likely to get back in contact relatively quickly since it continues its mission.

Autopilot is absolutely great for all kinds of really cool stuff, but ONLY as long as you are absolutely sure to remain in contact/control. I had to move to Litchi for waypoint missions in mountainous terrain. At least Litchi will complete the flight path even though it will not do a good job pitching the camera smoothly while out of connection. Neither is perfect. The only thing we know for sure is that we don't know if and when connection is lost. That is scary but with Litchi the bird is likely to get back in contact relatively quickly since it continues its mission.

Need to test Litchi for manual RTH. Maybe someone has and can enlighten us. I would imagine shift back to P-Mode and then hit RTH button on controller.

Need to test Litchi for manual RTH. Maybe someone has and can enlighten us. I would imagine shift back to P-Mode and then hit RTH button on controller.

You can set RTH as a mission completed action. I tested that and it works great. Litchi also allows you to stop (and resume if so desired) the mission at any point (as long as you are connected) at which point you can take over manually.

Newbie here. Where would I go to purchase the copilot app. DJI???
Do you mean Autopilot (since this is the context of this thread)? If so, Autopilot is only available for IOS devices and can be purchased through the Apple store.

You can set RTH as a mission completed action. I tested that and it works great. Litchi also allows you to stop (and resume if so desired) the mission at any point (as long as you are connected) at which point you can take over manually.

Yes, that's how I set mine. I was curious as to whether or not when you resume manual control by putting in P-Mode and then hit the RTH button on the TX, if that works just as it does with the Go App.

Here is a Video I shot around my house using the Autopilot - 100% automated flight.

AP BenderLake SC.PNG

Last edited:
Nice Flight plan!!
It would be interesting to compare firmware versions compatibility with Autopilot.
Mine is 1.4 and working great.

Does anyone else have a problem with the video shaking when using waypoints and have the focus strategy direction on?

I;ve never tried Autopilot so I can't help with the shaking issues, I;m just getting used to Litchi, which seems to have the same features as Autopilot, but, I gather there is more to Autopilot?
I;ve only ever lost signal a couple of times, yesterday, flying a Litchi mission, at the 3rd from furthest waypoint, everything went blank, scary! Thankfully, Litchi did as advertised, flew the rest of the waypoints & you all know the feeling of seeing your bird appear over the treetops!

I'm about to switch to the Litchi app because every time I try to contact them it takes them several days to respond to a email and there is no number I can call. But anyway, whenever I do a waypoint mission and I set the gimbal to -40 degrees so it aims down and then I launch the mission the camera shakes when going forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20