AutoPilot

Is it better than the Litchi App? I was thinking of getting it for the waypoint feature.
Until DJI releases a Firmware update, you should be well aware of the current firmware bug, that may or may not hinder the safe RTH of the plane in the event of a RC signal loss (failsafe RTH), while operating in waypoint mode. This is not all about long distance ops only and RC signal could occur at any point during a waypoint mission, including within Line of Sight, and currently you'll have no way of knowing if your plane will RTH safely, unless you're able to re-establish RC signal connection.

Thanks Yeager74, I just saw another post referencing that. Good to know, do you know how long this issue has been known and if DJI is actually working in a fix?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks Yeager74, I just saw another post referencing that. Good to know, do you know how long this issue has been known and if DJI is actually working in a fix?
Hi @WWK888 - This (the failsafe RTH issue) has been know since approximately mid/late January this year (2016), and I believe that @autoflightlogic has addressed this "issue/bug" directly with the plane developer (DJI) to try and assure this is "fixed" in the next firmware update. However at this point in time, I'm not aware of when(if) the next firmware update will be published. I've asked Autoflightlogic and DJI via email very recently, if they have any indications at to when that would be, as I render the software useless (for me) if I can not (confidently) use it in waypoint mode. I'm awaiting replies in this respect.

Awesome, I appreciate your efforts. I just purchased Auotpilot and was hoping to use the waypoint mode, guess I will wait.

Awesome, I appreciate your efforts. I just purchased Auotpilot and was hoping to use the waypoint mode, guess I will wait.

Some other respondents (on other threads on this matter) has indicated that it's all about understanding the risk involved and to some operators this is an acceptable risk. To me it's not - I simply would not want to see my plane sink into the hillside trees or the ocean - as I may not be able to recover it..

Some other respondents (on other threads on this matter) has indicated that it's all about understanding the risk involved and to some operators this is an acceptable risk. To me it's not - I simply would not want to see my plane sink into the hillside trees or the ocean - as I may not be able to recover it..
It's a question of how often do you actually experience random signal loss when operating in relatively normal / safe conditions. As you might imagine we perform thousands of test flights internally under these conditions and have never actually seen this issue once during our testing - except for when we intentionally caused the aircraft to lose signal to test this specific issue.

Reactions: c9dpilot
Is the RTH bug only when flying in WayPoint mode? In normal flying I use RTH both with and without signal and have not had any issues.

It's a question of how often do you actually experience random signal loss when operating in relatively normal / safe conditions. As you might imagine we perform thousands of test flights internally under these conditions and have never actually seen this issue once during our testing - except for when we intentionally caused the aircraft to lose signal to test this specific issue.

I'd agree, in reality, RC signal loss is probably a rare occurrence, as long as the plane is only operated within reasonable short ranges.
On the other hand, the Phantom manufacture (DJI) must have thought that the risk of RC signal loss was high and real enough, to develop and integrate the failsafe RTH function into their planes. When the RC signal loss happens - the failsafe RTH is prudent to have.

Last edited:
Worth every penny! Outstanding application creating incredible capabilities!

I have been looking at vertical ai as well not sure if they are on the same level but it seems like it's more like the the phantom 4 stuff

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Between Litchi and Autopilot which is considered better for IOS?
And which if considering goggles?

I have commented here previously (in other threads) that the AP/DJI SDK issue was likley an acceptable risk provided i wasnt flying over people or cars, houses etc.

I was pre-flying to the furthest reaches of any proposed mission as a safegaurd to test signal quality before running waypoints in AP.

Today i did a pre flight, flew well outside the proposed waypoints in GO app. All good.

Landed, changed battery. Was going to run the mission but wanted to make some changes to the focus strategy. The light was great and didnt look like lasting so i gave AP a miss. 850m into flight complete signal loss. RTH initiated and i cancelled out as soon as i got signal, increased altitude and continued. Signal loss again at about 950m. No issues after that however when i was returning through the same area i lost signal again. No obstructions, no explanation.

I have changed my view now. I would have been in real trouble potentially today if i had gone with the nission.

Its an awesome app, im hoping dji fixes the SDK issue soon!

I have commented here previously (in other threads) that the AP/DJI SDK issue was likley an acceptable risk provided i wasnt flying over people or cars, houses etc.

I was pre-flying to the furthest reaches of any proposed mission as a safegaurd to test signal quality before running waypoints in AP.

Today i did a pre flight, flew well outside the proposed waypoints in GO app. All good.

Landed, changed battery. Was going to run the mission but wanted to make some changes to the focus strategy. The light was great and didnt look like lasting so i gave AP a miss. 850m into flight complete signal loss. RTH initiated and i cancelled out as soon as i got signal, increased altitude and continued. Signal loss again at about 950m. No issues after that however when i was returning through the same area i lost signal again. No obstructions, no explanation.

I have changed my view now. I would have been in real trouble potentially today if i had gone with the nission.

Its an awesome app, im hoping dji fixes the SDK issue soon!
@With The Birds well better to have the experience, that you just had now with the DJI GO app., than having it happen with the Autopilot app. So, welcome to the "club" of owners awaiting the firmware update, before using Autopilot for waypoint missions. My personal eye rising experience, was RC signal loss with the Autopilot app while, granted, doing a long range mission (about 1.2KM) in an urban environment (however flying directly over trees and mountain sides) with lots of signal "noise". The drone should have executed failsafe RTH and returned home within about 3 minutes, but it didn't.. It took much longer than I was expecting the RTH to take (based on the 3 sec waiting time and flight time). That's when I realized that the drone and the app was not conforming/behaving according to the description in the Autoflight Logic Flight School (which is now also made aware to the operator as a warning!). The drone eventually returned home, in this case, after I regained RC signal and manually executed the smart RTH. In another instance, and just prior to determining that there actually is a bug with the app and the DJI SDK., I once again lost RC signal with the drone, but this time I was unable to regain RC signal, and the drone only made failsafe RTH when the battery level had drained down to critical battery level, and I landed with about 12% battery left! I haven't used the application since, which is a petty, because I really like the rest of the software and the possibilities it comes with. At this point in time, I'll just sit on my hands and wait for DJI to make that firmware update!

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC
I find Litchi for waypoint missions perfect. Never had a glitch, it always comes back and ive really pushed it to its limits. I like being able to plan a mission on my pc using Mission Hub. Not sure if Autopilot let's you plan missings / waypoints on a PC.

I find Litchi for waypoint missions perfect. Never had a glitch, it always comes back and ive really pushed it to its limits. I like being able to plan a mission on my pc using Mission Hub. Not sure if Autopilot let's you plan missings / waypoints on a PC.

@KeithS have you had RC signal loss with Litchi during a waypoint mission? and if so, what happened? did the drone continue and complete the mission and then executed RTH or did it execute an immediate failsafe RTH? or?

Autopilot lets you import KMZ files from Google Earth for use in the application.

Almost all my flights have signal loss due to heights and distances i use but it always comes back if you plan smartly.
Signal loss comes in / out depending on the mission.
I just make sure the last quarter of the mission is well within range.

Almost all my flights have signal loss due to heights and distances i use but it always comes back if you plan smartly.
Signal loss comes in / out depending on the mission.
I just make sure the last quarter of the mission is well within range.
Ok, cool, thanks for your reply @KeithS

I have been using Autopilot for a week or so now on my P3P and can say I am very impressed. It puts the DJI go app to shame in every respect.

I have run several missions where I lost the signal for over a minute...I simply shut the autopilot app down, booted the DJI app up and initiated RTH with no problems at all...highly recommend.

Question...if you take off using Autopilot then switch to Go your bird will still know your homepoint.

initiated RTH with no problems at all...highly recommend.

That method will only work, as long as you're lucky enough to recover your RC signal loss. I actually don't think you have to switch to the DJI GO app to attempt the smart RTH function, I think you can just use the hardware RC remote controller RTH button.

Just be aware that if/when you don't recover the RC Signal with the plane, you'll have to hope for the critical battery low to execute the failsafe RTH.

Good luck with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik