Autopilot Waypoint Mode

Reaction score
We are hard at work creating Waypoint Mode, but we need your feedback to make it great. Have an idea for what you would like to see in Waypoint Mode? Post your idea here and it may make it into the next release!

UPDATE: If you have multiple ideas, please post them in priority order.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ike
These are my top features in order of preference:
1) ability to select multiple (>10) waypoints
2) ability to set camera focus location at waypoint and during flight
3) ability to set altitude and speed of waypoints (using altitude priority along the route)
4) ability to perform orbit at waypoint
5) ability to set camera settings (at least exposure lock) throughout function
6) record flight data while in waypoint mode
7) save and name waypoint routes

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckaye and Ike
This may already be in the idea process but a way to "intelligently" name and identify waypoints.

Save waypoints so you can plan them carefully during a flight (set waypoints and even multiple POI's using the Phantom and not just via the map) and then reload and fly the whole sequence with a fresh battery at a later time (next flight, next day etc).

1. Set altitude of waypoint
2. Set speed of approach to each waypoint
3. Set option to hover at waypoint for a predetermined time
4. Set option for camera focus between selected legs of contiguous waypoints (and ability to change focus to new point on following legs)
5. Ability to adjust yaw during travel
6. Set option for automatic pointing nose of the bird on route legs (or even a yaw speed/direction) - not focus, but a compass, heading or bearing direction
7. Set number of times to travel the route

Reactions: ViperNuke
Set option to RTH if you lose signal; so the option could be to continue route x times or immediately RTH.

1. Smooth transistion of camera focus between waypoints is key for me and I would like the ability to tweak those by perhaps using sliders along the projected route on the map. Almost like transistion effers on an NLE when editing so that you can perhaps maintain focus on the previous points subject for longer if you wanted while traveling to the next point.
  2. Also and this is probably for later, ability to play the waypoints in advanced over a map view so that you can see how the Phantom is rotating and where the camera is looking basedon your transistion slider from point 1 above.

Safety requirement - Min Safety level

This is more from a security point of view - Divide a google map up in zones and select a minimum fly height per zone. If you then add a WP in that zone below the minimum it will default to the minimum.

This will ensure my 16 yo does not set waypoints in the trees...

Reactions: Bret Lucas
1. 3 dimensional contour charts as in the up and coming freeskies. This is a biggie as it will give confidence in flight planning prior to getting airborne and clearing all terrain.
2. The same waypoint options as in DJI Go including free yaw, with the ability to flight plan before getting airborne.

Photogrammetry/orthomosaic flight planning similar to what DJI had with the P2 Groundstation PC app. Define and area to map, set an altitude, speed and let the app calc the rest. Except for 1+ what DJI had and let me have more waypoints, thus map a larger area at a lower altitude in a single flight. I would pay $$$ for that.

Reactions: Ike
I 2nd madgitty, except for much better and less buggy than what DJI had...which I know AFL can handle that with ease.

For waypoints if possible have two different modes

1. Uses the altitude from where you take off. Meaning your take off spot equals 0 and you calculate up each waypoint up to the desired altitude for each point. This isn't the true altitude but a number of feet from your home point that is set. This is how it works now from my understanding

2. The second mode would be the true altitude. Each waypoint would be able to see the true altitude at each spot and accordingly create a point at whatever height desired from the altitude at that spot.

I personally will fly up and down foothills and not knowing how high they are compared to my take off point can cause big problems. If the true altitude was incorporated into the software I would know with confidence I won't fall short!

Anyone else have any input on this ???

Thanks for a great product and your willingness to listen. I look forward to seeing what you come up with

You want ideas just look at the waypoints mode in the dji vision app.. That's it... Minus the 15 waypoints limit and your app will become number 1 in the dji community

You want ideas just look at the waypoints mode in the dji vision app.. That's it... Minus the 15 waypoints limit and your app will become number 1 in the dji community

I 2nd ViperNuke. I bought this app today + all the available add ons. It's a great app right now but would love to see the addition of advanced waypoints. Create what DJI had with the Ground Station and you will have the best DJI app around. I'm already in for $40, I'd pay another $40 for something I can map in Pix4d with and create photogrammetry with.

Reactions: RoyVa and ViperNuke
These are my top features in order of preference:
1) ability to select multiple (>10) waypoints
2) ability to set camera focus location at waypoint and during flight
3) ability to set altitude and speed of waypoints (using altitude priority along the route)
4) ability to perform orbit at waypoint
5) ability to set camera settings (at least exposure lock) throughout function
6) record flight data while in waypoint mode
7) save and name waypoint routes

This + 1 :)

I want you to make it so feature rich and difficult to use that it can only be used by the elite of the elite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers