Autopilot - tips?

I have no idea why there are so many waypoints. I setup my area and it gave all these waypoints. And then when I was changing stuff it was adding them and when I went to delete the waypoint it would make the line way to curved so I added the waypoint back to straighten it.
Don't worry about it, Autopilot is using a custom flight controller- we don't have a waypoint limit I am aware of, I certainly haven't found a restriction. It is the straight sections where you will almost always find yourself adding waypoints for the reason you have described, Try drawing the path freehand if you haven't already. It's a good feature.

Right now, if you want to fly beyond line of sight or out of signal range, Autopilot is not that tool.

I'm fine with AP as-is because I personally have no use for out of signal range flights.

However, your wording ("Right now") is interesting. Am I to infer that you are looking at ways to work around the current limitation and allow for out-of-sight, out-of-range features?

Don't worry about it, Autopilot is using a custom flight controller- we don't have a waypoint limit I am aware of, I certainly haven't found a restriction. It is the straight sections where you will almost always find yourself adding waypoints for the reason you have described, Try drawing the path freehand if you haven't already. It's a good feature.
I do all my paths free handed that's a major reason why I got autopilot I use my stylus as it's easier then using my fat finger. I plan on using zip line this weekend to fly down the beach. But it may turn into a straight line waypoint mission to have more then 1 camera focus strategies

I do all my paths free handed that's a major reason why I got autopilot I use my stylus as it's easier then using my fat finger. I plan on using zip line this weekend to fly down the beach. But it may turn into a straight line waypoint mission to have more then 1 camera focus strategies
Both will serve you well... As you know you have the luxury of being able to reposition focus point and move everything around in real time. If you go with waypoints consider several focus points with a transition (interpolation) between them. Keep an eye out for sea going birds. I have had a few close calls with sea gulls. They tend to congrete on tbe shore line and take to the air in multiple numbers when approached.

However, your wording ("Right now") is interesting. Am I to infer that you are looking at ways to work around the current limitation and allow for out-of-sight, out-of-range features?
From the discussion here:
We may create a new Mode or App that is targeted toward the commercial / industrial market where LCMC may be the rule rather than the exception, but we do not want to compromise on the unique features of Waypoint Mode to accomplish this.

Both will serve you well... As you know you have the luxury of being able to reposition focus point and move everything around in real time. If you go with waypoints consider several focus points with a transition (interpolation) between them. Keep an eye out for sea going birds. I have had a few close calls with sea gulls. They tend to congrete on tbe shore line and take to the air in multiple numbers when approached.
Trust me I know lol.

image.jpeg

I have no idea why there are so many waypoints. I setup my area and it gave all these waypoints. And then when I was changing stuff it was adding them and when I went to delete the waypoint it would make the line way to curved so I added the waypoint back to straighten it.

Right! Most of the time I quite like the Bézier curves but it's annoying when you need a straight stretch and it insists on curving the path. I have not yet found any other way to deal with it other than adding extra waypoints in between to force the straightness.

Here's a waypoint flight I created with over 120 waypoints. I haven't been able to fly it fully yet since j lose signal from the mainland when the drone turns the corner to do the back side of the island. Eventually I plan to follow the drone in a boat as it flies this entire path but this time of year there's still too much ice floating around to put a boat in the water.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460517912.019416.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460517926.337761.jpg

Right! Most of the time I quite like the Bézier curves but it's annoying when you need a straight stretch and it insists on curving the path. I have not yet found any other way to deal with it other than adding extra waypoints in between to force the straightness.

Here's a waypoint flight I created with over 120 waypoints. I haven't been able to fly it fully yet since j lose signal from the mainland when the drone turns the corner to do the back side of the island. Eventually I plan to follow the drone in a boat as it flies this entire path but this time of year there's still too much ice floating around to put a boat in the water.

View attachment 50418
View attachment 50419
You should be able to just raise your altitude when you get to the back side of the island. that way you don't lose signal and you will be fine.

Just to report . . . flew an Autopilot mission using P3, Cruise and device orientation . . . worked very nicely. Even an old codger like me didn't get disoriented. Nice feature.

Any idea when the assignable RC buttons might be ready? I'd love map to camera . . . like yesterday. I realize I could go beta, but I can wait if its sometime soon.

-- zigs

You should be able to just raise your altitude when you get to the back side of the island. that way you don't lose signal and you will be fine.

Yep - you're right - but then I don't get the shot I want because I'm too high. I suppose if I wanted to produce 1080p vid, I could fly up and back to keep the shot framed the same way - record at 2.7k and then use zoom in post...but that's a lot more work and I don't get a boat ride!

3.3 has been released in iOS. Just downloaded will fly when I get home.

DJI go app update also to 2.7.2 looks big 112mb

3.3 has been released in iOS. Just downloaded will fly when I get home.

DJI go app update also to 2.7.2 looks big 112mb
I noticed it downloaded. Love the new RC assignable buttons. Switching between camera/map is one of the things I really missed on AP. Now if the ungodly wind we've been having across the Midwest would just peter out long enough to have some decent flying conditions. Just a question for those that set a button to "Use aircraft location" -- what are the results of doing that in different situations?

-- zigs

image.png
Setting up my grid flight before I head home shortly

I am using Autopilot from some time, and I should say I'm very happy in particular for the improvement to the cinematic video it does, but reading this post I have some questions to ask, because i didn't know some features mentioned here, and I didn't it found it even looking at the flight school (Flight School - Autoflight Logic).

@autoflightlogic (or @everyone knows where are the following info):
please where can I find information about
- Portrait mode
- Assigning RC Key in Autopilot
- Compass calibration

Thanks in advance

Portrait mode
It is mentioned in the user interface tutorial video, but the idea is just rotate your device and see what it looks like.

Assigning RC Key in Autopilot
It is a setting, discussed here.

Compass calibration
Not covered because it isn't Autopilot specific. You initiate the compass calibration in the same way as the DJI manual states, but toggling the RC flight mode switch 5 times. You can then either use the LEDs on the aircraft as cues, or you can go to the Flight Dashboard in Autopilot and read the status messages to know when to rotate horizontally vs vertically.

Reactions: Gracy
I need help with the "Follow" mode.
Do I see it correctly that Follow only works when it is following the RC? What if I would like the drone to follow e.g. a horseback rider so I can concentrate on getting the right shot?
Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj