Autopilot for Phantom

I just saw it.... if true its the app that could change the Phantom game and start to mothball lots of the other apps.

follow me, tracking, orbit, mimic, intercept... "optimized for iPAD"

Awesome. I just saw this from a DJI post on Facebook.
http://autoflightlogic.com/autopilotphantom#features
The app is $20 which is a bargain if it does what it says.
Hopefully I'll be testing this weekend.

Update: The app store says "In-App Purchases"
I just confirmed that the "Orbit" and "Mimic" flight modes both cost an extra $5 each.

Please keep us posted.

So I downloaded it and tested it on the table with no props attached. No actual flights with it yet.
First, as mentioned above, the "Orbit" and "Mimic" flight modes both cost an extra $5 each. So you're looking at $30 for the full described functionality.

The app has a configuration option to start video recording on autopilot engage and stop recording on disengage.
Also configurable are low battery alert, minimum altitude, max altitude, max distance and max pitch/roll %

Each flight mode takes you to a screen specific to that mode.
When you tap on a flight mode it says "Opening Ground Station" so it seems the API for all of this functionality is the ground station interface.
At the bottom of each screen is a camera icon that takes you to a camera view where you can stop/start recording or snap a still.
However there is no gimbal pitch control so you have no control over the camera pitch, unless you have an upgraded remote.
The gimbal is computer controlled anyway in all modes except "Black Box"

The "Black Box" mode shows altitude, distance, speed, satellites, heading, throttle, pitch, roll and yaw.
I had assumed it logs this data over time but it appears I was incorrect. It's not a flight logger, just a display.
The web site says "Log Book" and "Telemetry" are "Coming Soon"
I wish Flytrex had access to heading, throttle, picth/roll/yaw data.

I wasn't able to test any other modes yet. The app is sluggish and crash prone when it is not connected to the Phantom Wifi.
Hopefully it's not crash prone when flying.

Update: Although the web site says it will work with the iPad Mini, when I tried to download it to my iPad Mini I got the error message "Cannot Download, this app is not compatible with your device"
It turns out, only the cellular versions of the iPad include a GPS chip. The WiFi only models do not have GPS.

I like the Orbit feature except for one thing. After reviewing their website, the orbit feature travels around the iOS device. So, I assume you have to place your device on the item/place you want to orbit around. I was hoping this app would allow you to draw a circle around an area on a screen similar to ground station and send it on its way for the orbit shot.

cahutch-
Can you elaborate more on the issues you are experiencing? What device / OS version are you using? We are committed to constantly improving our app and really appreciate feedback from users. Feel free to contact [email protected] as well.

autoflightlogic said:
cahutch-
Can you elaborate more on the issues you are experiencing? What device / OS version are you using? We are committed to constantly improving our app and really appreciate feedback from users. Feel free to contact [email protected] as well.
I haven't used the app in flight yet and I've only noticed a couple of issues when exploring the app.

If I run the app without a connection to the phantom, it is slow to respond to input and eventually seems to freeze and is completely unresponsive to where I have to kill the app and relaunch.

If I am connected to the phantom and the app is responding as expected, when I try to tap the camera icon at the bottom of the screen it doesn't work or is VERY slow to respond. I have to tap it multiple times to get to the camera screen or the calibration screen. This could have something to do with these buttons being so close to the edge of the screen.

I'm using a 16GB iPhone 5s (ME305LL/A) running iOS 8.2

There appears to be an issue when running the app while connected to a wifi network using the 192.168.x.x address range (most linksys routers for example). Sorry for the inconvenience, but for the best results at this time, either run on your phone's cell network, or connect to the Phantom. We appreciate you pointing this out, and we have added this discussion to our FAQ: http://autoflightlogic.com/autopilotpha ... t#804a5061

Confirmed.
The app behaves fine when I'm on a different network. I'm at work on a 172.x.x.x network.
The different mode screens just say "Waiting..." and "Searching for Phantom"
I can click on Settings, Flight School. Tutorial, etc.. with no problems.

On my Home network, 192.168.10.x
In the mode screen it says "Waiting..." and "Opening Ground Station..."
And locks up.

I should be able to test some of the modes this weekend.

Has anyone here flown with this yet?

Thanks for the confirmation. We will be releasing a new version with a fix for this soon.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback after this weekend.

Been playing with the app today for couple hours. It's very nice to have these options but i feel like if you don't know what you are doing, you could be in for a surprice.

I had to make multiple switches back to Atti to gain control and save the phantom from possible damage.
Throughout the different modes the phantom behaves eradically not following its selected mode. For example when I selected orbit, it just keep flying away and away and away in multiple runs. Same with the follow me mode, it works but in multiple runs it just acted eradically.

I am using an iPhone 5, that might be the issue. During calibration it strongly recommended I upgrade to iPhone 6 because of the barometer.

I ran ground station in the DJI app to make sure it was working fine and it completed its mission with no issues.

I had higher expectations but I plan on continue playing with the app and report back. It was very cloudy today.

steven000e said:
... I am using an iPhone 5, that might be the issue. During calibration it strongly recommended I upgrade to iPhone 6 because of the barometer. ...
I would not think the iphone altitude accuracy would have much if any effect on Follow me or orbit modes. In theory, the only reason the system would need to know your altitude is for the camera pitch to correctly aim at you.
Otherwise, the Phantom altitude is what it is and lateral motion only depends on the GPS position.

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll make sure I find someplace with a lot of open space to test.

So something else I just sadly figured out.. I have been playing in my office with the app and the phantom with propellers off to figure out why the phantom was acting eradically this afternoon while using the autopilot app. Their YouTube video looks great in their website using their app.

So I decided to plug in the assistance software to look at the calibration and I noticed that everything was grayed out so I performed an advance calibratio and I though that could have been my issues with the app this afternoon.

I turned on the autopilot app again and played with some modes and to my surprice my assistant software once again needed advance calibration. This went on for 3 times. So if freaked out and though maybe my phantom was broken or acting up somehow. I ran the DJI app and played with it went back to the assistant software and there was no need of calibration.
I turned on the autopilot app just to check and run a mode and went back to the assistant software and to my surprice everything is grayed out.
Advance calibration needed.

I can't make out any of this right now.. I paid 25 for this app...

I am going to write to the developers tomorrow and give them heads up of my issues.

I am not sure anymore if I want to play with this app outside. I'll keep you updated

So what now autoflightlogic? Any new Updates , I know a few guys are waiting for this to work smoothly & reliable but are in fear that it will fail mid flight or cause some type of malfunction, can u please keep us updated.

Regards Leon

So something else I just sadly figured out.. I have been playing in my office with the app and the phantom with propellers off to figure out why the phantom was acting eradically this afternoon while using the autopilot app. Their YouTube video looks great in their website using their app.

So I decided to plug in the assistance software to look at the calibration and I noticed that everything was grayed out so I performed an advance calibratio and I though that could have been my issues with the app this afternoon.

I turned on the autopilot app again and played with some modes and to my surprice my assistant software once again needed advance calibration. This went on for 3 times. So if freaked out and though maybe my phantom was broken or acting up somehow. I ran the DJI app and played with it went back to the assistant software and there was no need of calibration.
I turned on the autopilot app just to check and run a mode and went back to the assistant software and to my surprice everything is grayed out.
Advance calibration needed.

I can't make out any of this right now.. I paid 25 for this app...

I am going to write to the developers tomorrow and give them heads up of my issues.

I am not sure anymore if I want to play with this app outside. I'll keep you updated
Any new info bud?

We released v1.1 last week, which has a fix for the wifi network slowdown issue. It also has a simplified calibration procedure, which may have been the reason that Esteban (aka steven000e) was seeing erratic flight behavior before (incorrect calibration).

We were unable to reproduce the issue that Esteban saw with the Phantom assistant software. Has anyone else been able to reproduce it?

I plan to test this out as soon as my Vision+ is back from repair. Hopefully Wednesday. I've been playing with the app on my iPad Air 2 LTE and it seems to run smooth.

I'm hoping to use it for a bit of water skiing this summer, the challenge will be setting it far enough back so it will get the skiier as well as me in the boat. Would be handy to have it follow me, but be able to manually control yaw and camera pitch. Then I could set it to be certain position relative to me, and just focus on following skier with the camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1