Autopilot Follw mode ???

J&L

Reaction score
So I'm prepping for my first autopilot follow mode flight. I will be having the bird follow from the front so we can see it < nervous lol. And at an altitude of approx 125' up and a distance of 100'. I will be driving down the road about 1.5 miles and back to the house if the battery last that long. Is 15-20mph to fast for follow mode? Do I just put the RC and tablet in the front seat? Nerves are killing me lol.

I have also been wondering how the orientation of the "follow me" mode works. I presume (from the instruction manual) that the phantom simply follows you from behind. The DJI web page video presents a (dreadfully inept ) attempt at explaining how the follow me works. It shows a "follow me" video of a phantom accompanying a car along a seaside drive from a 90 degree "alongside" attitude. No idea how this works. The video is useless.

In the follow me on Autopilot app it lets you choose where you want it to follow you from. From left, right, behind or front and you can switch on the go while flying.

I've only done this with Litchi... Prevailing wind and direction will determine how well the P3 'keeps up'.
On a calm day I was doing 30 and my bird kept up fairly well. It is a nerve racking endeavour the first time.
I sat in the back of my friend's Pick up truck, on a dirt road, on a folding chair.... the folding chair was a bad idea. :oops:

I was wanting to do this today but the winds here aren't corporateing with me. NE 10mph winds gusting to 15 at times. Winds are supposed to die down through the day.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Be careful with follow mode on the GO app. And be careful with the authorities as it is illegal to drive and fly.
The follow mode is on DJI GO app is relative. This means it will NOT follow correctly especially around turns and it will stay locked in direction.
DJI needs to incorporate Course mode for follow me to be a true follow. Course mode will chase you. Litchi has this.

I find using Litchi with focus mode with is much better. This allows the camera to track the movement of your GPS device or a leached GPS device. The pilot will need to fly but does not need to concentrate on keeping the object in the frame.

An alternative third party app you can use is vertical Studio. This uses live software tracking and very similar to focus mode without having to use GPS.

I'm using Autopilot app not the DJI Go app. I can tell that it doesn't like 90 degree turns.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31