Autopilot - erratic video behaviour

Reaction score
I have been flying with Autopilot for a while and I am very pleased with its flying abilities. However, the video recording is very erratic. For example, during all my "follow" flights it records 5 or 6 separate pieces of video, roughly 30K - 60k each. In several places it records nothing, and then arbitrarily just starts recording again, so one can't even splice the bits together without having gaps.

Has anyone else encountered this? What did you do about it?

I have been flying with Autopilot for a while and I am very pleased with its flying abilities. However, the video recording is very erratic. For example, during all my "follow" flights it records 5 or 6 separate pieces of video, roughly 30K - 60k each. In several places it records nothing, and then arbitrarily just starts recording again, so one can't even splice the bits together without having gaps.
Never seen this happen before. Have you tried using a different memory card?

No, I haven't, but later in the day I did a 8.2km round trip while using DJI GO, and recorded every second without interruptions, on the same card.

I've not experienced the problem using AFL. Does it happen in a particular mode or all, and does the app give an error at the time or quite happily sit there engaged doing its thing?

I would perhaps format the card in DJI GO, try that and then a different SD Card if the format does not work.

I've not experienced the problem using AFL. Does it happen in a particular mode or all, and does the app give an error at the time or quite happily sit there engaged doing its thing?

I would perhaps format the card in DJI GO, try that and then a different SD Card if the format does not work.

I've only experienced it while flying in "Follow" mode.

I'm back in the city and won't be able to fly long flights for a while. I'm going fishing again in 3 weeks, then I will attempt to establish a pattern, including using different cards/formats.

Thanks for the interest, folks.

I have re-installed IOS 8.4.1 because of all the other issues, but I have lost the Autpilot app in the process. How do I re-install it and the in-app purchases without buying them again?

Also the recording issues you are having with follow me mode had nothing to do with iOS 9... I'm on iOS 9 and been doing follow me mode with the app and no recording issues...

The app doesn't give you the option to reinstall all in app purchases?? Mnnnh
I need to re-install the app first before I can answer that question.( I am not all that familiar with Apple products and software.)

Also the recording issues you are having with follow me mode had nothing to do with iOS 9... I'm on iOS 9 and been doing follow me mode with the app and no recording issues...

Yip, I am aware of that. I experienced those issues before upgrading to IOS 9.

Last edited:
I need to re-install the app first before I can answer that question.( I am not all that familiar with Apple products and software.)

All good. In-app purchases reinstalled.

Reactions: ViperNuke
I finally had the opportunity to do some more testing and I am happy to report that everything is working as desired.

Here is a video of one of my runs. (I am travelling a bit slowly because I am on a farm road with speed bumps!)

The quad is roughly 150' up and about 300' feet behind. The drop from the main road to the river is about 100 meters. I selected altitude via GPS in Autopilot and as can be seen, it follows the drop very closely.

I am very pleased with this result!.

PS. Notice the wide sweep out over the river when I turn sharp left.....interesting behaviour?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
What was the solution to your recording issue?

Nice video by the way.
Thanks.

No specific fix. I am up to date with all software and firmware upgrades, including IOS, and I suspect the combination made it all good.

I did a lot of flying this past week and weekend, long distance (5.3km out) , Airnest's Path, Autopilot's Follow, Waypoints - the lot, in the mist, over water - everything - and I experienced no problems what so ever! I am very pleased today!

Here's one over water:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers