Autopilot and DJI's GEO fencing

Reaction score
Does anyone know if DJI's upcoming firmware that will pair with the latest app that enables geofencing will also block Autopilot in restricted areas?

I'm wondering what this move by DJI means for companies using DJI's sdk.

Autopilot says they use their own flight controller. Also they say "Autopilot offers things that our competition (which presumably use the SDK implementation from DJI) simply cannot offer, and this is why people continue to choose our product..." Fast forward to 7:39 in this video for reference

I don't know if that means they wrote their own code that does not have DJI's hard limits applied or not.

Autopilot says they use their own flight controller. Also they say "Autopilot offers things that our competition (which presumably use the SDK implementation from DJI) simply cannot offer, and this is why people continue to choose our product..." Fast forward to 7:39 in this video for reference

I don't know if that means they wrote their own code that does not have DJI's hard limits applied or not.
I was wondering about this too. If Autopilot uses their own flight controller app, does that negate the NFZ implementation in Go? Is that a loophole that Litchi can't take advantage of? I would think the NFZ scheme is implemented in firmware, preventing the craft from even starting up at times, independent from the Go or Autoflight app running. Can anyone confirm that's how it will be implemented? On the other hand, there are recent reports saying a new Go App includes NFZ, however that may just be an informative feature, showing the NFZs better than before, not sure, I haven't used the new Go app that came out this week.

Last edited:
Just sharing my thoughts...

I expect the NFZ is in the firmware, but the changes must be sent from the App. My guess is that eventually DJI will force everyone that uses the SDK to use it. The transmission of NFZ could be part of the SDK. Also, DJI could include something in the firmware that would prevent third parties apps from not transmitting the NFZ.....although the third party app may be able to get around that by altering the data...i.e. sending an empty list of NFZs which would probably violate the SDK agreement...interesting....

It sound like people are flying again with dji go 2.5. Looking at the DJI map (you have to login to see), I see a button for advanced unlocking that does not currently work. I am hoping that is something you can use to permanently unlock zones. It also looks like you can unlock any zone for 3 days at a time fairly easy....

Just sharing my thoughts...

I expect the NFZ is in the firmware, but the changes must be sent from the App. My guess is that eventually DJI will force everyone that uses the SDK to use it. The transmission of NFZ could be part of the SDK. Also, DJI could include something in the firmware that would prevent third parties apps from not transmitting the NFZ.....although the third party app may be able to get around that by altering the data...i.e. sending an empty list of NFZs which would probably violate the SDK agreement...interesting....

It sound like people are flying again with dji go 2.5. Looking at the DJI map (you have to login to see), I see a button for advanced unlocking that does not currently work. I am hoping that is something you can use to permanently unlock zones. It also looks like you can unlock any zone for 3 days at a time fairly easy....
As the Advanced Unlocking page in DJI site says:

Unlocking an Authorization Zone is instantaneous using DJI Go when you are ready to fly within, or when your aerial system flies towards, an Authorization Zone. Unlocking lasts 24 hours and takes just a few taps on the screen. Users planning to fly in an Authorization Zone without a live connection to the internet may use this online Advance flight planner to schedule a maximum of 30 simultaneous unlocking plans. Each zone will remain unlocked for three days.

Only Authorization Zones, yellow highlighted areas, can be unlocked. Red Areas are Restricted Zones that cannot be unlocked. Green areas are Warning Zones that do not need to be unlocked but are still subject to safety precautions. You can display or hide different areas by selecting or deselecting the appropriate checkbox.

From what I've gleaned, GEO implementation will be a combination of firmware and DJI GO app (and possibly SDK for 3rd party apps). Firmware will be the control cop and only allow you to start/enter a Yellow zone if authorization has been established (either ahead of time or in real time).

Since the whole thing is in beta, what you may see in app or web site is subject to change dramatically before implementation to public release.

Unlocking an Authorization Zone is instantaneous using DJI Go when you are ready to fly within, or when your aerial system flies towards, an Authorization Zone. Unlocking lasts 24 hours and takes just a few taps on the screen. Users planning to fly in an Authorization Zone without a live connection to the internet may use this online Advance flight planner to schedule a maximum of 30 simultaneous unlocking plans. Each zone will remain unlocked for three days.

Only Authorization Zones, yellow highlighted areas, can be unlocked. Red Areas are Restricted Zones that cannot be unlocked. Green areas are Warning Zones that do not need to be unlocked but are still subject to safety precautions. You can display or hide different areas by selecting or deselecting the appropriate checkbox.

From what I've gleaned, GEO implementation will be a combination of firmware and DJI GO app (and possibly SDK for 3rd party apps). Firmware will be the control cop and only allow you to start/enter a Yellow zone if authorization has been established (either ahead of time or in real time).

Since the whole thing is in beta, what you may see in app or web site is subject to change dramatically before implementation to public release.
I've tried 4 times since yesterday to geo unlock my area so I can fly and it still won't let me take off!!!!
Drone says I'm still in a NFZ.
I give up really.just got this drone yesterday and still can't fly it unless I drive 20 ,miles away from my house.

I think you are on the money. Autopilot will not allow limits to be set outside those imposed by the firmware (its in the instructional video's).

I've tried 4 times since yesterday to geo unlock my area so I can fly and it still won't let me take off!!!!
Drone says I'm still in a NFZ.
I give up really.just got this drone yesterday and still can't fly it unless I drive 20 ,miles away from my house.
DId you beta test the Geo firmware? I have the latest firmware for my P3P (Firmware Version 1.6.0040) and the latest DJI Go app for iOS that was released yesterday and I have tried auto takeoff and then landing at my house that is within the borders of a yellow zone and it (the app) never asked me to do anything)

DId you beta test the Geo firmware? I have the latest firmware for my P3P (Firmware Version 1.6.0040) and the latest DJI Go app for iOS that was released yesterday and I have tried auto takeoff and then landing at my house that is within the borders of a yellow zone and it (the app) never asked me to do anything)
I just got the drone yesterday so DJI app is it 2.50
I picked highest number on website for updating drone via its micro SD card too.
I'm in a amber zone but drone still says I can't fly
No did not beta test anything

I picked highest number on website for updating drone via its micro SD card too.

I read that this should allow you to fly on DJI forum:

Those that have reposted the sudden appearance of NFZ's after updating to Go App 2.5, please do the following.. It seems to have been a server issue that is now resolved..

1. Please connect mobile device to the Internet.
2. Turn on craft and should be on P-GPS mode, please make sure craft has solid GPS lock.
3. Please make sure that RC and mobile device is connected to craft..

please post back if this works...

Which phantom 3 do you have?

I expect that Autopilot uses the SDK the same all other 3rd part apps as it is the only method to communicate with the UAV's control systems.

What I believe is meant by "their own flight controller" is that their app sends flight commands to the UAVs control systems in a similar way that you would fly using the sticks (this type of control is part of the SDK). Their app, same as all other 3rd pary apps, are still under the limits and restrictions imposed by the firmware and SDK.

I read thaI'hould allow you to fly on DJI forum:

Those that have reposted the sudden appearance of NFZ's after updating to Go App 2.5, please do the following.. It seems to have been a server issue that is now resolved..

1. Please connect mobile device to the Internet.
2. Turn on craft and should be on P-GPS mode, please make sure craft has solid GPS lock.
3. Please make sure that RC and mobile device is connected to craft..

please post back if this works...
Already tried that this evening and as soon as GPS gets a solid lock on the map it comes up that I'm in a no fly zone.
I have all latest app version and firmware v01.06.0040

Rapid flashing of lights on the craft at mission engagement suggests data is being uploaded, loss of signal connection will trigger rth though

So, you're not using the BETA version that includes GEO functionality and applies the restrictions.... normal NFZ functionality applies then as far as P3 is concerned. Is your location within 2-3 miles of an airport?... can you provide a map image or coordinates to show your attempted flight location?

Already tried that this evening and as soon as GPS gets a solid lock on the map it comes up that I'm in a no fly zone.

You did this while you had an active internet signal? You need to be connected to the Phantom 3 in GPS with active internet signal....then I guess you need to restart the app....maybe try it a bunch of times...I am very curious since I live in a yellow zone as well...

So, you're not using the BETA version that includes GEO functionality and applies the restrictions.... normal NFZ functionality applies then as far as P3 is concerned. Is your location within 2-3 miles of an airport?... can you provide a map image or coordinates to show your attempted flight location?

DJI forum is reporting that BETA firmware is not required to resolve this....but looking for confirmation....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj