Autopilot 2.0 out now

Bad elf at $250... Sell the old iPad and get an iPad mini 3 with cellular. Has everything built in.. Works out to about the same price..

Bad elf at $250... Sell the old iPad and get an iPad mini 3 with cellular. Has everything built in.. Works out to about the same price..

Then I am locked into a cellular contract for the tablet for 2 years. Also an iPad Air 2 is far superior to the Mini 3. For example A8X vs A7 proc and 2 gig ram vs 1 gig (Which is huge for performance). I'll pass on that.

Lot's of uses for the Bad Elf other then using with tablets.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and snerd
I don't think the price is that outrageous for this app, development costs money and support is way more costly than development. So I will purchase it all and look forward to waypoints. We will see what other people take the plunge and develop apps.

Alan

Then I am locked into a cellular contract for the tablet for 2 years. Also an iPad Air 2 is far superior to the Mini 3. For example A8X vs A7 proc and 2 gig ram vs 1 gig (Which is huge for performance). I'll pass on that.

As far as I know cellular contracts are not required on the tablets. And GPS works whether you have cell service or not.

Everybody feels different about this app or have different opinions and thats great.. But the fact is that you can do the same or more(waypoints) from cheaper apps with better UI. Half of the modes on this app are practically just for name sake.. to make the app looks fancy but in reality.. People are just interesting in: follow me, POI & waypoints... Also what stopping people from downloading this app on a Jailbroken device for free? Not saying people should do this but oh well...

As far as I know cellular contracts are not required on the tablets. And GPS works whether you have cell service or not.
Wi‑Fi 16GB $399 64GB $499 128GB $599
Wi‑Fi + Cellular: 16GB $529 64GB $629 128GB $729

Pay $130 more for something and not use it!!!!

Don't rule out focus mode which comes with the base purchase - ... c) focus is a great selfie .
I actually use Target mode for many of my fly away from 'dronies'. You set its focus to operator, set target altitude, then move and drop the target pin on the map and away it goes while keeping me in the image!
I think the 'flexible' and 'customizable' modes is what's so cool.

Can anyone confirm whether a flight undertaken with Autopilot will be recorded in DJI's pilot records? Or does it have its own record?

why not tether your iPad off your iPhone?

Can anyone confirm whether a flight undertaken with Autopilot will be recorded in DJI's pilot records? Or does it have its own record?
It does not get recorded to DJI's app flight record. I believe it does create an SRT file to SD card and the detailed flight info recorded on the bird.

why not tether your iPad off your iPhone?
I have the S6 and Note 4 Android phones. Both of which have awesome GPS with Barometers and there is an awesome app that sends this data over bluetooth. But, in my recent investigations, I have discovered that Apple prevents Android phones from connecting with iOS devices via bluetooth. They are concerned about Malware...

I have the S6 and Note 4 Android phones. Both of which have awesome GPS with Barometers and there is an awesome app that sends this data over bluetooth. But, in my recent investigations, I have discovered that Apple prevents Android phones from connecting with iOS devices via bluetooth. They are concerned about Malware...
Actually, Android isn't supported yet:

Autopilot - Autoflight Logic

What is the ETA for the next version with waypoints. If we buy 2.0 I'm guessing we'll have to pay for the next version again before we get waypoints.
The best we can say is "when it is ready" but we have a track record of being "fast". Waypoint Mode will be offered as an in app upgrade like the other modes. See this discussion for an explanation.

On thing you can be certain of is it will be done right - the Autopilot way :)

I would love to see a video on the Mimic feature being used with a Phantom 3. I can't find anything on YouTube or through a general Google search yet.

The GPS will work (as long as the tablet has GPS...remember, Wi-Fi iPads do NOT have GPS), whether or not the tablet has cell service, but, if there's no cell service, and you haven't preloaded your map(s), while your tablet will know where you are, as well as where the drone is, you won't have any map to base actual location on.

As for the "contract" question, no, a contract isn't required...as long as you pay full price for the tablet. If you purchase from the carrier (or authorized carrier reseller, such as Best Buy, Costco, Fry's Electronic, etc), receiving the "discounted" price, then you'll be on-contract for whatever length they decide (typically, the usual 2yr agreement). If you plan to use the tablet for things other than just your P3, then it could be worth it to go with the contract, as you'll be saving $100 (or more) of the purchase price.

Alternately, you could do what I did. I've had a Nexus 7 LTE under Verizon contract since Feb '14, although I've been using it worth Wi-Fi almost exclusively for the past 5-6 months. Since its cellular-connected use has been virtually non-existent, and I wanted to get another tablet for exclusive P3 use, I found a new (Verizon) 16GB iPad Mini 2 (ugh, I REALLY dislike Apple, but gave in due to the great iPad-P3 pairing) through Amazon (another company I've REALLY grown to dislike, being my former employer) for $300. Next, I called Verizon, and had then swap the SIM card numbers, thus activating the iPad Mini 2 as "connected", and deactivating the N7 (effectively making it Wi-Fi only). I've even gone so far as to disable the N7's cellular radio, via 'Settings'. If you already have a cellular-connected tablet that you rarely/never use cellular connectivity for, and want a new-exclusive tablet for your P3, you could do the same thing that I did, thus you avoid adding another tablet (and contract) to your cell bill/account.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub