Autonomous Waypoint Navigation and Camera Control with the FreeSkies Copilot

Just singed up, from Durham in the UK. I'm taking a geography field trip to the Alps in September. I research drone photogrammetry and we'll be using a P3 to get some elevation models for student projects. I'd be interested to see if this app helps the flight planning.

I'll sign up and test it on this side of the pond.

It does make sense to me that would be how it is supposed to work. However, I'd like to hear from the developer to verify that's how it's programmed, and tested to work.

I'd love to be able to use the software as it appears it is being designed, and expect significant improvements. My concern is, I have [as we all do] a significant investment in the P3P and all the other associated expenses for it. I'm just a little reluctant to put that investment at risk without some guidance from the developer.

Thanks Joe.

I absolutely understand about hearing from the developer itself. Speaking as a developer myself - you never know what kinda bugs can pop up and if they do while you're flying... well it could be a very costly mistake.

Hello Phantom Pilots,

We are FreeSkies, a startup based in Menlo Park, California, and our product is called the Copilot, an app which will revolutionize the way you use your Phantom. What we provide is a brand-new way of flight and video planning, allowing Phantom pilots to achieve and chain together complex and breathtaking shots with an easy-to-use planning interface, and full autonomous control. Our product is aimed at users who desire professional-quality videos, but may not possess the experience to manually fly their Phantom and achieve them.

Our app is currently being developed to support both the iPad and Android tablets, and it will be compatible with both the Phantom 3 and the Inspire 1. It will be available for alpha and beta testing soon. If the concept of this app is something you find interesting, we would be delighted to have you join us as a tester for Copilot. Beta sign-ups and more information about us and our team can be found at our website, freeskies.org.

Additionally, if you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area and would be interested in coming into our offices to meet our team and test our product, please email us at [email protected].

For direct questions, please do not hesitate to email us at [email protected] as well, or leave a reply below, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

FreeSkies – Who’s your Copilot?

Please tell me that the iPhone 6 will also work?

Hi Alfred,

Unfortunately, right now we're focusing on developing for the iPad, due to the limited screen real estate on iPhones. However, we may begin work on an iPhone version in the future

It does make sense to me that would be how it is supposed to work. However, I'd like to hear from the developer to verify that's how it's programmed, and tested to work.

I'd love to be able to use the software as it appears it is being designed, and expect significant improvements. My concern is, I have [as we all do] a significant investment in the P3P and all the other associated expenses for it. I'm just a little reluctant to put that investment at risk without some guidance from the developer.

Hi Steve,

We are definitely aware of this concern; we've invested a large portion of our funds on our test drones, and don't want to see them crash anymore than we want to crash your drones. Failsafes are one of our top priorities, and we won't be releasing a product to the public until we've fully tested all these measures on our Phantom first.

Reactions: Alex Kiritsis
Hi Everybody,

We are FreeSkies are simply floored by the amount of interest this has generated, and the number of beta sign-ups we've had. We'd like to take this opportunity to thank the community at Phantom Pilots for all the response we've received at home, across the US, and around the world.

We're sorry that we are not able to thank all of you individually, but will try to answer any questions you have. Of course, if there is something that we have not answered yet, or you would like to ask directly, please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected].

To everyone, welcome aboard, and have a good one!

Hi Steve,

We are definitely aware of this concern; we've invested a large portion of our funds on our test drones, and don't want to see them crash anymore than we want to crash your drones. Failsafes are one of our top priorities, and we won't be releasing a product to the public until we've fully tested all these measures on our Phantom first.
I'll presume when you have the failsafes in place, you'll notify us?

Thanks.

Sounds very interesting. I signed up for the beta. Since I'm local I'd love to come up and meet you guys after I try it out. I've worked with other companies developing apps for Phantoms. Thanks for posting here.

I've signed and would like to know which format you will be working with 1st as my only interest are with android at this time. Also when will the testing begin?

I've signed and would like to know which format you will be working with 1st as my only interest are with android at this time. Also when will the testing begin?

We are simultaneously developing for iOS and Android, but there is no guarantee that apps for the two platforms will be available at the same time. Testing is slated to begin soon; if you are interested, please make sure to sign up on our website!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for signing up to be one of the first Beta testers for the FreeSkies CoPilot! We are so excited to have you onboard! We plan on releasing the Beta within the next few weeks. We're currently gathering market research and conducting alpha testing. We are looking for eager enthusiasts, such as yourself, to be the first to try out the Alpha version of the CoPilot and help us on our journey.

Please fill out the FreeSkies Usability Survey below to help us conduct this research. In addition, we will be selecting candidates for alpha testing within the next week.

The survey can be found here.

Thank You!

Reactions: Steve Moore

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers