Autonomous Vertical flight planning

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone has found any flight control software that allows vertical flight planning for autonomous survey of a large flat surface i.e. Pit wall in a mine ?

Looking to use Phantom 4 or Pro 4 to geotechnically map mine highwalls.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Autopilot will do it fine but it takes some practice...

If you want to stitch the photos you will have some issues because if the survey is true vertical, it is a single GPS position and that becomes a problem if the surface is similar.

If you only want a series of hi res photos then thats easier.
Basically all you do is set up waypoints at the same location at different heights.

Lots of practice away from a wall will be the way to start...

It's not completely autonomous but you can set it to "free flight mission" in the Pix4D app then have the pictures taken automatically as you fly the wall manually.

Thanks guys. The surveyed surface will never be true vert and I was thinking more along the lines of the horizontal "lawnmower" pattern that is used for top down mapping but at 90 degrees to the surface of the earth rather than aligned.

I have a few of the horizontal maps. I have never done anything near vertical. But I think I have seen a tutorial in Maps Made Easy to map a deep quarry. I think they did the standard horizontal pattern and then just took a few face of the wall shots and their software put it together. They have similar tutorials to make a 3D image of a building using the same process which would also be similar to what you are describing. Check them out

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen