Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Automatic recovery from propeller loss (video)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jflyer3, Dec 11, 2014.

1. jflyer3

Perhaps this technology will make it into the next Phantom…

http://video.techbriefs.com/video/Autom ... gorithm-Al

Overview:

If a quadrocopter loses a propeller, it can no longer control its flight with the normal control software, and may crash in a public area. Researchers at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH Zurich) have now developed a failsafe technology that makes quadrocopters safer and may thus pave the way for these vehicles to be used in safety-critical applications.

Pumpfixer likes this.
  2. LandYachtMedia

A similar control mode is available in the DJI controllers when using 6 or 8 motors.

Doing that with a quad as heavily loaded as the Phantom platform will be more of a challenge. To get the body spinning will take longer and you'll see a much larger loss of altitude before control is regained.

That is why for safety critical applications you'll want a minimum of 6 motors and ideally 8.

3. PhantomFanatic

Although I prefer the term "rotor" over propeller, this is a good system, that might eliminate or greatly reduces damage.

Thanks for sharing!

And when I roll my own, I hope for 8 rotors.

4. derrickduff

5. SteveMann

My 3DR hex will land safely after losing one prop. It happened to me, but the hex is using 12-inch CF props and carrying more load than the Phantom. I haven't heard of any Phantom crashes from a lost prop or motor - usually battery exhaustion.

6. Damon

Bad motor resulting in prop spin off right here! Fell like a tumbling rock. The most "intelligent" landing protocol - straight down ;)

7. The Editor

You're right... it would be great to have this in all future quads but for something like the Phantom you would need a huge power increase at the time of failure and the inertia involved in 'getting it spinning' would be enormous.

The technology/algorithms for this have been around for ages (even that video was posted over a year ago) but as yet haven't made it into mainstream production.

Redundancy was one of the main reasons I elected to go the Hexacopter route. I have also added a two bus power distribution system into my hex rather than a standard parallel connector so that should one of the lipo packs fail or a solder joint or battery connector break or come loose I will still be able to fly and maintain full voltage until I can safely land (albeit with reduced mah capacity).

Yes... I'm **** about safety with a 3.5 kilo flying chainsaw in the air :lol: