Automatic Max Altitude?

Reaction score
Flew inside for the first time today, a HUGE warehouse. "Ceiling" was about 40 feet high, then there were lights and criss cross wooden beams at 45 feet before a concrete hard ceiling at approximately 55 feet.

Without making any special changes to my P4, other than it set itself to Atti Mode (obviously no GPS sats were detectible).

I flew upwards to test things out when it very accurate notified me that I had reached Maximum Altitude, right at about 40 feet. I didn't set this anywhere (the lowest value for Max Altitude I see that I can set is 20 meters).

How/why did it do this? And it worked well. I couldn't push myself higher and didn't have to worry about hitting the ceiling, at least :)

I flew upwards to test things out when it very accurate notified me that I had reached Maximum Altitude, right at about 40 feet. I didn't set this anywhere (the lowest value for Max Altitude I see that I can set is 20 meters).

How/why did it do this? And it worked well. I couldn't push myself higher and didn't have to worry about hitting the ceiling, at least :)

It appears that you have the setting, "Enable Maximum Distance" turned on. This can be as low as 15 meters or 49 feet..

It appears that you have the setting, "Enable Maximum Distance" turned on. This can be as low as 15 meters or 49 feet..

I don't. I flew the bird out of the warehouse doors then up about 200 feet, changed nothing.
Reversed it too, few in from approx 100 feet, down to about 10 feet down long covered "corridor" and into the studio we were using and once inside it went back to the 40something ceiling. Have video of it. I'm as amazed as anyone else.

77fe57c33b68dfa3a815e514627aabe1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

From almost 100 feet up, swooped down, and flew into a 50x50 corridor opening. Went about 600 feet about 10 feet off the deck and turned and went into this door to the main room

ba5d064aca703e5d1393866beffa7484.jpg

Further: I went there today with a borrowed P3P and it did Not detect the ceiling as my P4 did.

Last edited:
Ok, reviewing the flight log inside there. I'll post more shortly but, just a comment.
Even when you select Imperial measurements (not metric) the labels for altitudes still show m for meters. So, the figure we enter, is it treating our entry as feet or meters, despite what we have set? Hmmm

Even when you select Imperial measurements (not metric) the labels for altitudes still show m for meters. So, the figure we enter, is it treating our entry as feet or meters, despite what we have set?
If you're referring to the max flight altitude, DJI GO always expects you to enter that value as meters and it treats the entered value as meters.

If you're referring to the max flight altitude, DJI GO always expects you to enter that value as meters and it treats the entered value as meters.

In my experience, when an app gives you the option to select the units used, you'd expect everything to honor that setting. Consistency.

I'm just trying to figure out how the heck my P4 came to determine max altitude that was just right inside this room.

I didn't change anything from my normal day to day settings. I DID try setting max altitude lower than 20 m but it wouldn't.

Giving up, I flew her gingerly upwards ... And, low and behold, at approx 40 feet, she declares max altitude reached and stops me from going higher, cool. 15 min later I take off outside and zoom right up to 100 feet no prob. No settings changed.

Weird eh?

Weird eh?
Totally.

I flew her gingerly upwards ... And, low and behold, at approx 40 feet, she declares max altitude reached and stops me from going higher, cool. 15 min later I take off outside and zoom right up to 100 feet no prob.
Can you post both of those TXT flight logs here so we can review them?

Totally.
Can you post both of those TXT flight logs here so we can review them?

Don't know where to get that, but, from HD.com:
f97e4baf4ffbe719991fa0196f59b8d7.jpg

Took off from inside 200x150' room, physical ceiling approx 40-45.
You'll note where it says Max Altitude and the altitudes above real approx 20 feet; I can fully assure you the drone was just a foot or two below a real 40 foot height and that's what I saw on screen. I know what it says above, but my buddy and I marveled at it together so we both recall the screen and settings clearly. The Go app screen also showed values approx 40, not 20. Trust me, I'm not being argumentative, just looking for clues.

So: it was in Atti mode, indoors. Uniform gray smooth floor. I had type a max altitude value of "20" into the app. Despite my using the Imperial setting, it reads as "m" on the display. Yet, gee, coincidently the warnings are at a sensed "20 ft"

Something going on that doesn't quite match expectations of settings and, perhaps, others past experiences. I suspect a bug or bugs.

That's not the usual warning that displays when the set max altitude is reached. Perhaps DJI has implemented some kind of hard-coded max altitude for indoor flights.

Agreed - something unusual going on.

However, the voice prompt was normal. Max Altitude Achieved. And no upward stick would take me higher. I could do all else normally.

To me and an observer, it was as if the unit figured it out. Sitting there perfectly 5 feet from the physical ceiling. Neat trick.

And, yes, this was a pure indoors flight. I note that there are messages about going into GPS mode, Hmm, didn't see those and can't imagine how. There is a very solid ceiling up there, VERY.

I will be revisiting the set again in a short time and going to try it and this time I'll try to get a camera on the drone and screen to show what happens.

Literally, change no settings from normal outdoor flight. Power up. Take off. Move to 35 feet then slowly go up and see what happens. Last time, it stopped at 40 telling me Max Altitude - magically <ta da!> lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4