Automatic exposure accuracy

Reaction score
Hey, is everybody satisfied with their P3 automatic exposure? I find it unsatisfactory 30% of the time, so I make an EV adjustment but then I have to remember to change EV back, which is not what I would like to think of when flying. One of the reasons could be that P3 doesn't treat individual channel overexposure as such. If for example you look at a face with blown out red channel, it'll appear flat, meaning critical information is lost, though blue and green channels may seem ok.

Last edited:
Hey, is everybody satisfied with their P3 automatic exposure? I find it unsatisfactory 30% of the time, so I make an EV adjustment but then I have to remember to change EV back, which is not what I would like to think of when flying. One of the reasons could be that P3 doesn't treat individual channel overexposure as such. If for example you look at a face with blown out red channel, it'll be appear flat, meaning critical information is lost, though blue and green channels may seem ok.
You simply cannot expect a sophisticated exposure system from a camera like that. It is not a Nikon D800 or a similar camera!
Good and correct exposures can sometimes be very difficult even for topnotch camera's. You will always have to use your own insights and make corrections if necessary.

I don't really think that processing power is what makes Nikon more expensive and technically superior to action cameras. These days processors are cheap, it's sensors and lenses that are not and IMO they are not responsible for metering technique

Reactions: brianb87
I don't really think that processing power is what makes Nikon more expensive and technically superior to action cameras. These days processors are cheap, it's sensors and lenses that are not and IMO they are not responsible for metering technique
Read the history of Nikon and Canon to get an insight in their years of dedicated effort and experience to develop an excellent exposure system.
This is not a matter of only fast processors but merely of software and algoritmes which are often protected by patents.
By the way the professional Nikons (D8oo, etc) have a dedicated extra 90k sensor for determining the correct color-exposures.

You are right that a lens and a sensor doesn't influence a correct metering but a sensor with a huge dynamic range makes a good exposure much easier.

And what I have said before even those dedicated camera's don't make always the right exposure decisions.
I do a lot of theatre-photography and I use a Nikon D3 and and D4s, but the best exposure I get is in manual!
These exposure systems cannot cope with the highly complex theatre light circumstances.

Let me give you an advice; in case of doubt; underexpose! The P3 sensor has enough latitude to lighten up the deeper shadows especially if you shoot your pictures in DNG.
The over-exposure latitude/correction is much less. About 1/2 to 3/4 stop depending on the light-circumstances.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl