Autoflight Logic - Quick Orbit Guide

Reaction score
A couple of people have asked for a guide on the use of Autoflight Logic and today I noticed that Autoflight Logic have started to create guides on youtube. Still, today I wanted to test the version from the app store having previously beta tested version 2. While testing I took some screenshots of a quick orbit with me the operator as the center and focus point.

The app is designed to start from power on without the motors engaged, but I do tend to take off in black box mode to check stability and scope out the area for obstacles and determine the return to home height etc.

I was in a wide open area today which used to be an old airfield so the obstacles are limited to some street lamps on a path and some rugby posts in the distance so I was happy to engage and let the app power on the motors and fly.

I'm using an iPad 2 Mini with Wifi+Cell so have GPS but not a barometer.

1. With the Phantom 3, RC and iPad powered on I load Autoflight Logic

2. I switch to orbit mode, this is a quick flight orbiting around me so I am in basic mode with the operator set as the center

Orbit (1 of 7).jpg

3. You see altitude slider starts at 26 feet, this is based on the Min Altitude setting, I want to keep it low so set it to 28 feet for no reason in particular. The radius of the orbit was already at 100 feet which seemed reasonable, the direction I set to clockwise and the speed is 5mph, its capped at 7mph but if you increase the radius the slider will allow you to increase the speed to a higher mph. I scroll down in this view and I see the radius and my position illustrated on the map.

Orbit (2 of 7).jpg

4. I'm happy with everything so select Open Flight Dashboard at the bottom of the screen

Orbit (3 of 7).jpg

5. The business end opens up and you have the controls for the mode on the left, the video feed and map on the right surrounded by telemetry.

6. I press Start Engage Sequence at the bottom

7. This is one bit to get right and is covered extensively in the flight school, this calibrates the altitude and is of particular importance if tracking you and you expect your height to change. I'm using an iPad Mini which does not have the preferred and most accurate option of a barometer, GPS is fine but as I am on a flat piece of ground which used to be an airfield I am not going to descend any hills so select Power On. But I typically use GPS on this iPad or barometer on my iPhone. The key thing is do this when the Phantom 3 is on the ground or if already in the air hovering at the height which you hold the controller / iOS device.

Orbit (4 of 7).jpg

8. Next comes a confirmation screen, I confirm its at 0 feet i.e. its on the ground. If you were using GPS for example this would show you height above sea level which where I flew from was 166 feet.

Orbit (5 of 7).jpg

To reiterate, pay attention at this stage. If you are standing still and not moving Power On is fine, if you are on a flat piece of ground Power On is fine, but if you intend on moving up and down a hill use barometer if available or GPS.

9. Next comes up a countdown from the default 5 seconds down to 0 at which point it will engage, however I left my RC set to P so that you can see the error message below, in order for Autoflight Logic to work, like the new DJI intelligent flight modes you need to set the flight mode switch on the RC to F, the message below remind you to switch to F.

Orbit (6 of 7).jpg

10. Once you have the RC in F mode, the motors will engage, the Phantom 3 will ascend to the altitude and it will fly so that it intersects the circumference of the orbit and start orbiting around you. As soon as the mode engages its recording video.

Orbit (7 of 7).jpg

11. When you are done you can press disengage at the bottom of the screen ant the P3 will hover in place. As soon as you disengage the video recording stops.

If you want to fly the P3 back to you perhaps to land or change position remember to flick the mode which back to P. But if you wish you can enable orbit again, or you can switch mode to zip line or any other mode and configure then fly.

Remember the emergency stop - if at any time you need to stop the P3 quickly and you're too finger and thumbs to hit disengage switch the flight mode to P and the P3 will immediately hover in place.

Last edited:
A couple of people have asked for a guide on the use of Autoflight Logic and today I noticed that Autoflight Logic have started to create guides on youtube. Still, today I wanted to test the version from the app store having previously beta tested version 2. While testing I took some screenshots of a quick orbit with me the operator as the center and focus point.

The app is designed to start from power on without the motors engaged, but I do tend to take off in black box mode to check stability and scope out the area for obstacles and determine the return to home height etc.

I was in a wide open area today which used to be an old airfield so the obstacles are limited to some street lamps on a path and some rugby posts in the distance so I was happy to engage and let the app power on the motors and fly.

I'm using an iPad 2 Mini with Wifi+Cell so have GPS but not a barometer.

1. With the Phantom 3, RC and iPad powered on I load Autoflight Logic

2. I switch to orbit mode, this is a quick flight orbiting around me so I am in basic mode with the operator set as the center

View attachment 30271

3. You see altitude slider starts at 26 feet, this is based on the Min Altitude setting, I want to keep it low so set it to 28 feet for no reason in particular. The radius of the orbit was already at 100 feet which seemed reasonable, the direction I set to clockwise and the speed is 5mph, its capped at 7mph but if you increase the radius the slider will allow you to increase the speed to a higher mph. I scroll down in this view and I see the radius and my position illustrated on the map.

View attachment 30276

4. I'm happy with everything so select Open Flight Dashboard at the bottom of the screen

View attachment 30277

5. The business end opens up and you have the controls for the mode on the left, the video feed and map on the right surrounded by telemetry.

6. I press Start Engage Sequence at the bottom

7. This is one bit to get right and is covered extensively in the flight school, this calibrates the altitude and is of particular importance if tracking you and you expect your height to change. I'm using an iPad Mini which does not have the preferred and most accurate option of a barometer, GPS is fine but as I am on a flat piece of ground which used to be an airfield I am not going to descend any hills so select Power On. But I typically use GPS on this iPad or barometer on my iPhone. The key thing is do this when the Phantom 3 is on the ground or if already in the air hovering at the height which you hold the controller / iOS device.

View attachment 30278

8. Next comes a confirmation screen, I confirm its at 0 feet i.e. its on the ground. If you were using GPS for example this would show you height above sea level which where I flew from was 166 feet.

View attachment 30273

To reiterate, pay attention at this stage. If you are standing still and not moving Power On is fine, if you are on a flat piece of ground Power On is fine, but if you intend on moving up and down a hill use barometer if available or GPS.

9. Next comes up a countdown from the default 5 seconds down to 0 at which point it will engage, however I left my RC set to P so that you can see the error message below, in order for Autoflight Logic to work, like the new DJI intelligent flight modes you need to set the flight mode switch on the RC to F, the message below remind you to switch to F.

View attachment 30274

10. Once you have the RC in F mode, the motors will engage, the Phantom 3 will ascend to the altitude and it will fly so that it intersects the circumference of the orbit and start orbiting around you. As soon as the mode engages its recording video.

View attachment 30275

11. When you are done you can press disengage at the bottom of the screen ant the P3 will hover in place. As soon as you disengage the video recording stops.

If you want to fly the P3 back remember to flick the mode which back to P. But if you wish you can enable orbit again, or you can switch mode to zip line or any other mode and configure then fly.

Remember the emergency stop - if at any time you need to stop the P3 quickly and you're too finger and thumbs to hit disengage switch the flight mode to P and the P3 will immediately hover in place.

Well done. Pls tell me, when you open the app does it open the map properly or do you have to "pinch" the screen to get the map image?
I'm using an iPad Air 2.:)

Well done. Pls tell me, when you open the app does it open the map properly or do you have to "pinch" the screen to get the map image?
I'm using an iPad Air 2.:)

Mine tends to open with a scale of say half a mile is visible with the iOS devices GPS location in the centre.

I tested out blackbox and Focus mode and ENGAGE doesn't seem to arm and liftoff for me? switch is in F position... works fine once I manually take off...

Great stuff, thanks!

I tested out blackbox and Focus mode and ENGAGE doesn't seem to arm and liftoff for me? switch is in F position... works fine once I manually take off...
Black Box and Focus Mode are Human Flight Control Modes, which means that Autopilot does not send any flight commands (including auto-takeoff) to the aircraft. It is left to you (the human) to do it all.

I bought the whole suite this week (the app and the add-on's) and I am looking forward to messing around with it this weekend in a wide open field :) I'm excited by this - more excited than I am with the implementation in the DJI Go app (which is fine... just not particularly intuitive to me). Thanks for this guide :)

I bought the whole suite this week (the app and the add-on's) and I am looking forward to messing around with it this weekend in a wide open field :) I'm excited by this - more excited than I am with the implementation in the DJI Go app (which is fine... just not particularly intuitive to me). Thanks for this guide :)

hopefully you are in a cooler area than I am. the app is pretty much unusable due to the lack of hardware decoding (available with native DJI app and with Litchi android app). Due to the lack of hardware decoding, DJI SDK bugs the ios device runs very hot and will thermal throttle. I've tried it on iphone 6 and ipad mini 3. pretty much unusable due to lag and FPV image breakup. Flying in 95-degree heat. Litchi works great on my Note 4 in same condition. DJI GO also works fine with hardware decoding enabled.

The entire UI and interface is very nice - but for now, unusable for me.

hopefully you are in a cooler area than I am. the app is pretty much unusable due to the lack of hardware decoding (available with native DJI app and with Litchi android app). Due to the lack of hardware decoding, DJI SDK bugs the ios device runs very hot and will thermal throttle. I've tried it on iphone 6 and ipad mini 3. pretty much unusable due to lag and FPV image breakup. Flying in 95-degree heat. Litchi works great on my Note 4 in same condition. DJI GO also works fine with hardware decoding enabled.

Good to know! Thanks for the warning maybe i'll get a little fan

Clearly, 95° heat is not optimal for any electronics. If these are the only conditions under which you have used the app, it's a bit unfair to blame the app for your device overheating, causing lag and FPV image breakup. Neither the iPhone 6 nor the iPad Mini 3 are large enough to dissipate heat very efficiently. Even the Air 2 becomes unstable with any app in 100° heat. Just sayin'.

Clearly, 95° heat is not optimal for any electronics. If these are the only conditions under which you have used the app, it's a bit unfair to blame the app for your device overheating, causing ag and FPV image breakup
All of the iOS developers including us are asking DJI for hardware decoding. The told us directly that their ultimate goal with the SDK is to expose all the features the GO app has (including hardware decoding), so we are hopeful.

Clearly, 95° heat is not optimal for any electronics. If these are the only conditions under which you have used the app, it's a bit unfair to blame the app for your device overheating, causing lag and FPV image breakup. Neither the iPhone 6 nor the iPad Mini 3 are large enough to dissipate heat very efficiently. Even the Air 2 becomes unstable with any app in 100° heat. Just sayin'.
works fine with DJI GO on Iphone 6/Ipad Mini 2 and with LITCHI on the Android.. just sayin' -- difference is in availability of hardware decoding... Not blaming Autoflight... DJI SDK limitation but it renders the app unusable - to their credit, they did not this in the flight manual...

All of the iOS developers including us are asking DJI for hardware decoding. The told us directly that their ultimate goal with the SDK is to expose all the features the GO app has (including hardware decoding), so we are hopeful.
Is this overheating still an issue, if the ambient air temperature isn't 95°?
What about at more normal temperatures of 65-75°?

works fine with DJI GO on Iphone 6/Ipad Mini 2 and with LITCHI on the Android.. just sayin' -- difference is in availability of hardware decoding... Not blaming Autoflight... DJI SDK limitation but it renders the app unusable - to their credit, they did note this in the flight manual...
I read that, too. Apparently, it is a known problem, which is only exacerbated by the extreme air temperature. Just wondering if more normal temperatures will minimize it.

I read that, too. Apparently, it is a known problem, which is only exacerbated by the extreme air temperature. Just wondering if more normal temperatures will minimize it.
We have really only seen it become a problem in 90° and above.

That's great news! So, for most of us, then, it's a non-issue, except this week!
Thanks for clarifying the problem, and the workaround.
Just wait for a cooler day!:cool:
Who wants to be outside flying, when it's 90° and above anyway?:eek:

This explains why LITCHI is only on Android, because they would have the exact same heat issue under iOS, for those that were wondering earlier. No hardware accelleration in the iOS SDK yet.:cool:

Can you speak to the questions about use of the AutoFlight app as it relates to any DJI warranty issues? Surely, DJI would wash their hands of any crash while piloted by any 3rd party app, and surely you cannot assume any such liability either, right? We are all big boys and we use these apps at our own risk, right? It's as simple as flipping the switch from F to P to cancel the Auto Flight control, and take over transmitter control. However, can you have DJI GO running in the background while running AutoFlight, or would you have first close the AutoFlight app and boot up DJI GO to change apps in midflight?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik