Autoflight Logic - Drifting in Cruise mode

Reaction score
Thought I would have a test fly in Cruise Mode today using Autoflight. Anyway, I had a fly using the DJI app first to check all the systems were working correct and everything checked out ok. Started Autoflight after shutting the DJI app and took off without a hitch. The Cruise was set to Vertical Strategy = Altitude (20m) and the other Strategies to Joystick.

The controller was set to F and the app engaged as described with the usual warnings. Phantom went to 20m without a hitch but started to drift with the wind without any input from the joysticks. It wasn't a huge issue as I could counter the drift with some minor input but as soon as I released the sticks off it went again.

I assumed perhaps incorrectly that the Phantom would act as if it was in P-GPS while in Cruise Mode i.e. remain stationary without any input.

Can anyone confirm that Autoflight uses GPS while in the various modes to remain stationary when wind is present of is that asking too much? I'm not ruling out user error at this point :)

Thanks for you replies.

How much wind? In general, it holds position. When I've used cruise, I'm not usually stationary, so have not noticed a drift. But if the AC drops into ATTI mode for some reason, it definitely could drift. I've seen this when using zip line the side of a bridge...Lost satellites. Check the flight status in healthy drones

How much wind? In general, it holds position. When I've used cruise, I'm not usually stationary, so have not noticed a drift. But if the AC drops into ATTI mode for some reason, it definitely could drift. I've seen this when using zip line the side of a bridge...Lost satellites. Check the flight status in healthy drones

Thanks, the satellites weren't an issue. As soon as I flicked back to P mode the Phantom stopped and remained where it was. Wind speed was about 5-10 km/h and gusting. I'll try again when the wind has dropped to make sure it's not another issue.

I doubt what you are seeing is drift, but rather a side affect of the movement responsiveness setting. Try changing it to instant and let me know if you see a difference.

2016-02-21 08.56.37.png

Reactions: NorthcountySD
Autopilot 3.4 (and previous versions) was built with a version of the DJI SDK that does not support wind-compensation in Cruise and Mimic Mode, which effectively makes the aircraft behave similar to Atti mode. The next version of Autopilot (3.5, still in beta) uses the latest version of the SDK which has wind-compensation in all Modes.

Reactions: Wurzel
Seems like this is still an issue in v3.9.140. My aircraft behaves as if it is in ATTI mode when in a Cruise flight profile. With 8 kt winds, the bird drifts quite a bit.

Seems like this is still an issue in v3.9.140. My aircraft behaves as if it is in ATTI mode when in a Cruise flight profile. With 8 kt winds, the bird drifts quite a bit.
The issue was reintroduced due to a later version of the firmware breaking the fix. We are still waiting for an updated version of the firmware to correct this issue.

The issue was reintroduced due to a later version of the firmware breaking the fix. We are still waiting for an updated version of the firmware to correct this issue.

Guys, you're communication policy sucks. really. you're handling this as a side information. but to AC owners this is important because it can cause a crash and a damage of the AC.

Drifting problem happened to me today in ALL flight modes (zipline, target, cruise). As I engaged mission AC started drifting, as i disengage it hovered perfectly.

I paid 30€ and didn't get the drifting (atti) information before i bought. now i want a quick solution.

Reactions: crash1sttime

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20