Auto takeoff height

Reaction score
I have only flown my P3A around 7 times. The first day when I went out and pressed the takeoff button it would start up lift & hover btwn 6 & 9'. From what I read this is exactly what it is supposed to do -

Ever since, when I press the takeoff button it will lift off then hover barely over the ground btwn 1 & 3'.

Just wondering if there should be something I should check in the settings that I may have changed or an issue with the VPS?

I have VPS turned off and my P3P only takes off to an altitude of 2-3 feet as well. Running 1.6.4 FW and 2.4.2 iOS

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

mine does the same. VPS was on as well.

Reactions: Steve J Miller
I have only flown my P3A around 7 times. The first day when I went out and pressed the takeoff button it would start up lift & hover btwn 6 & 9'.
Auto takeoff and land are more gimmicks than features to use regularly.
You're better off to launch yourself and put your Phantom up out of its propwash and it will hover more smoothly.

Reactions: Wibble
I've had the same issue since 1.6 upgrade however, whether it's 2ft or 4ft off the ground doesn't really matter as I quickly take control and fly off manually from that point. I will agree not using auto launch will quickly resolve anyone's issue with this as you can choose your desired height and then let it hover.

Do you know what would make this happen? I didnt change any settings
It sounds like you have VPS enabled. You should disable it when flying outside.

It sounds like you have VPS enabled. You should disable it when flying outside.
I leave VPS off. For what it's worth, I tried an auto take off yesterday. Got to 2 feet and sat there. I think DJI did 'it' again - probably a minor coding error in the upgrade to 1.6. I was going to try it again today but it looks to be a real phenomenon.

And people wonder why we're leery of Geofencing.....

I have never tried auto takeoff as there was no need for it so I never noticed this change but I know all auto speeds and acceleration settings have been lowered. Lowering hovering height could be a result of it. My guess.

I only use the auto take off and land feature when I want to test it to make sure everything is working okay. But 9 times out of 10 I always manually liftoff and land.

And to rub the battery guys the wrong way - I always "floor it", "pedal to the metal", "rocket ship" up fast and hard with every flight. Rare I hover at 4 - 9'. Too many objects near by (myself or trees) so I like to get out of the area into open sky to minimize the risk of bumping into something.

And to rub the battery guys the wrong way - I always "floor it", "pedal to the metal", "rocket ship" up fast and hard with every flight.
Awesome. Me too. I just never do that on firmware 1.5 with a 50% battery :)

Reactions: yawnalot29
Auto takeoff and land are more gimmicks than features to use regularly.
You're better off to launch yourself and put your Phantom up out of its propwash and it will hover more smoothly.

I agree - no helicopter pilot will take off and hover just off the ground - asking for trouble!

I only use the auto take off and land feature when I want to test it to make sure everything is working okay. But 9 times out of 10 I always manually liftoff and land.

And to rub the battery guys the wrong way - I always "floor it", "pedal to the metal", "rocket ship" up fast and hard with every flight. Rare I hover at 4 - 9'. Too many objects near by (myself or trees) so I like to get out of the area into open sky to minimize the risk of bumping into something.
I don't think what you do with your drone in this instance is rubbing anyone the wrong way. After all, should there be a drop due to battery, you either suck it up and are too embrassed to post. Or post to vent how stupid dji is only to be told i told you so. In the mean time, yeah post away how you floor it each time. Why that would rub people wrong i don't know unless of course you are their neighbor and doing this above their roof.

If you really want to rub the battery guys, here Is how you do it.

1. Use FW 1.05 / 1.5
2. Have battery charge to 50% only
3. Keep battery at 15C/60F
4. Take off and straight up peddle to the metal

Do all that, post a video about it. Then you can really rub it in battery guys face for real.

Last edited:
I agree - no helicopter pilot will take off and hover just off the ground - asking for trouble!

I work offshore so fly in helicopters all the time.

They always lift off and hover between 5 and 15 feet before dropping the nose and powering away.

Its something to do with ground effect and building a cushion of air.

Mark.

I don't think what you do with your drone in this instance is rubbing anyone the wrong way. After all, should there be a drop due to battery, you either suck it up and are too embrassed to post. Or post to vent how stupid dji is only to be told i told you so. In the mean time, yeah post away how you floor it each time. Why that would rub people wrong i don't know unless of course you are their neighbor and doing this above their roof.

If you really want to rub the battery guys, here Is how you do it.

1. Use FW 1.05 / 1.5
2. Have battery charge to 50% only
3. Keep battery at 15C/60F
4. Take off and straight up peddle to the metal

Do all that, post a video about it. Then you can really rub it in battery guys face for real.

For starters - The "Phantom" series are TOYS. Adult toys. Sure one could use them for professional stuff and that's fine. But it's really just a toy at the end of the day. If mine crashed/lost/whatever - just go out and buy a new one!

I'm unsure what FW I have (updated in August IIRC) and I do multiple flights on a single battery. Recently with temps under 40 degrees :)

Any who - the point I'm making is we don't have really any direction of what the issues or true cause is. But people tend to bloat about "do this" to the full and most ideal settings and setup so they can feel like they actually know something. It's always just the same run around and I see it as not really helping but more creating fear and covering up the problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic