Auto RTH lost with new features?

Hi guys. I heard in passing that signal loss from the RC would NOT automatically trigger RTH if you are currently flying with one of the new features.

I have not yet updated (traveling without my P3) but I have been reading threads and watching the how to videos. I don't recall seeing any warning about auto RTH being lost if the features are in use. Did I miss that incredibly important little tidbit? Can anyone confirm?

Note - user selected RTH if still signal connected is not an issue from what I heard. Only the auto RTH if signal is lost when using new features. For example, if using POI and the signal is lost the bird will circle until critical battery and then land even if over water.

Again, can anyone confirm? I'd love to know for sure before I get home.

I think you don't want automatic return to home because it's possible to program a route in waypoints and perhaps point of interest where you want the bird to fly behind something. All the bird needs is good gps and the location of the next waypoint to fly to that point. Automatic return to home could interrupt your pre-planned course if triggered by loss of signal.

Last edited:
I think you don't want automatic return to home because it's possible to program a route in waypoints and perhaps point of interest where you want the bird to fly behind something. All the bird needs is good gps and the location of the next waypoint to fly to that point. Automatic return to home could therefore abort you pre pre-planned course if triggered by loss of signal.
I agree that no auto RTH could have benefits at times. I understand how it could make sense for some missions. Its just that I think many people have no idea at all that the new features disable auto RTH and are happily flying without realizing or planning in advance for the danger.

In my humble opinion, if this no auto RTH is in fact true it should be a user defined option.

Last edited:
I know the go app forces you to fly above the POI and set as home point.
This doesn't always work as the centre of the POI could be the lowest point and there you may go behind other taller objects.

You don't want RTH on signal loss when you are flying POI. The moment the bird goes around a (tall) building (Blind LOS), it will lose signal and it will find the straightest line for RTH and splat into the wall if not high enough.

I don't disagree that no auto RTH could have benefits at times. I understand how it could make sense. Its just that I think many people have no idea at all that the new features disable auto RTH and are happily flying without realizing or planning for the danger.

In my humble opinion, if this no auto RTH is in fact true it should be a user defined option.

I'd agree on making it settable. I don't want to see the no RTH option disappear though. It would mean you'd loose out on some interesting perspectives. That's if in fact the no auto RTH is true.

Reactions: Oso
I know the go app forces you to fly above the POI and set as home point.
This doesn't always work as the centre of the POI could be the lowest point and there you may go behind other taller objects.

You don't want RTH on signal loss when you are flying POI. The moment the bird goes around a (tall) building (Blind LOS), it will lose signal and it will find the straightest line for RTH and splat into the wall if not high enough.
I think that is center point of orbit. Not homepoint. Your homepoint is where it sets homepoint when you get GPS and locked before taking off.

If it orbits until a critical battery warning and then lands, will that damage your batteries?
I have lost the v+ and tracked it down after it powered off with dead battery three times. Still have never had a failed battery.

I had same problem when running follow me mode I lost connection after 5 mins and the bird stopped then just landed where it was (No RTH) Battery was fully charged.
I noticed that it did not record the data of the trip, however it did record the full flight and landing video on the SD card.
Is this what it is supposed to do, if so I will be keeping well away from flying over water.

Is there a bug in the system??
Have you seen the video of the guy in Dublin (Mal_PV2_Ireland)? he got in his car and got way ahead of the drone but it just kept going until it caught up with him....

I think that is center point of orbit. Not homepoint. Your homepoint is where it sets homepoint when you get GPS and locked before taking off.
Yeah.. centre of orbit.. COO, that's what I meant. My mind keeps thinking the dynamic home of the remote is the subject.

Reactions: rrmccabe
If it weren't raining cats and dogs right now I'd go out and test this question. Seems simple enough. Have it start orbiting an imaginary POI a few hundred feet from Home, make sure that the entire area below the bird is clear and safe, and then run 'er until she croaks. What happens? Straight down as in Failsafe? Or RTH? We'll see.
Awesome. I hope the weather clears up for you soon.

Last edited:
nope....where it lands might ;)
I agree sir. Where is lands is the big concern. If people don't know ahead of time that auto RTH is disabled and it wont return at signal loss, it may land anywhere if critical battery is reached.

Again, this may be desirable behavior for some missions as long as its understood and planned for in advance.

I agree sir. Where is lands is the big concern. If people don't know ahead of time that auto RTH is disabled and it wont return at signal loss, it may land anywhere if critical battery is reached.

Again, this may be desirable behavior for some missions as long as its understood and planned for in advance.

It would execute a low battery return to home at 35% battery or whatever it's set at:

It would execute a low battery return to home at 35% battery or whatever it's set at:

Are you confirming that the new flight modes do NOT disable the normal auto RTH functionality if signal is lost?

FYI that someone started a new thread to continue this discussion. I just wanted to loop back to this original thread to note that the disabling of RTH has been confirmed by @bbfpv per the other forum.

Here is a link to his post in the new thread:
Any sign of update from DJI | DJI Phantom Forum

If you are doing an orbit, you should 100% have the option to set orbit number (or it simply does a couple of orbits) and it then returns home if signal cannot be established. It's IMHO absolutely crazy that it just keeps on going round in a circle mindlessly 'til the lipo dies and it lands most likely on something expensive or destructive (tree, road, angled roof, expensive car etc).

Does Autopilot have the option to actually have RTH activate if signal is lost during an orbit (either immediately or after an orbit or two)?

These new features need to be tweaked by all accounts. JMHO.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl