Auto RTH failed - worked out for the best

I know what you mean. I have only been flying for about 3 weeks now, but I already have 58 flights, 12 hours of flight time and over 130 miles logged. Needless to say, I am hooked, and learning more and more each day.

What was your altitude when you ran into problems with the signal at Haystack Rock? Did you ever go up to the top of Haystack Rock, and if so, what was the altitude at the top?

I was at 335 feet when I lost signal.
The rock is about 235 feet tall - Haystack Rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I wasn't sure of the height when I was there, I knew I could fly over it, but I thought it was closer to 360', so when I knew my altitude was just over 300', I was a little concerned

My concern at the time was my RTH height setting was set for 90 meters and I had no idea if the phantom would descend or RTH at its current height.

I was also surprised that there were zero birds up there. Means I didn't have to worry about cleaning blood from Phantom trying to attack me. that could have been a disaster. actually, I would have kept my distance

file.JPG

Reactions: Heisnuts
From the repot it looks like you didn't lose RC signal just the signal back from the Phantom.

There is also a setting in the DJI Go app for lost signal where you can select hover or RTH. You can test it out in an open area by turning the RC off, I have read others have done this but I have not personally tried it. They said when you turn it back on you regain control. I have also never tried autoland...although I recently tried autotakeoff and it was pretty cool!

You have some pretty amazing shots. I can't wait to get out there and fly around as well.

Thanks Heisnuts,

here's a quick short clip of the same rock.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and if you get bored there, head on up the coast a little bit to the Peter Iredale shipwreck

Last edited:
My concern at the time was my RTH height setting was set for 90 meters and I had no idea if the phantom would descend or RTH at its current height.
A Phantom will never descend to RTH.
It will always come home at whatever height it is already unless it is below RTH, in which case it will climb to the set height and then RTH.

Reactions: lookin4pain
Thanks Heisnuts,

here's a quick short clip of the same rock.

and if you get bored there, head on up the coast a little bit to the Peter Iredale shipwreck

Those are some pretty nice videos. I wonder how using the point of interest feature would work around Haystack Rock. I am guessing I would have to be up around the 400 ft level so that the controller never loses the line of sight on the bird as it circles the rock.

Those are some pretty nice videos. I wonder how using the point of interest feature would work around Haystack Rock. I am guessing I would have to be up around the 400 ft level so that the controller never loses the line of sight on the bird as it circles the rock.

Thanks
and you can hang back on the road if you want to get better LOS, with you being higher, the bird can be a little lower.
really wish I could just make this waterproof with this **** rain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.