Auto Pilot Features Wanted

Reaction score
As a P2V+ pilot and future commercial aerial photographer :cool: ... I would love to see a couple of autopilot features added to the Vision app...

1. Circle a point. Drone is flown above point to circle, command is sent to mark GPS location. Drone flown away from point to desired distance from point, second command is given to mark distance from point (radius). Speed is set in app. User adjusts camera tilt and hits "start" to begin anautopiloted circling of the point maintaining same distance from point and keeping the front of drone pointed at point. User has full control of camera during circling to capture best shot.

2. Precision Auto Landing. Using the onboard camera in straight down mode, aircraft performs normal RTH function, then during decent camera is used to look for helipad symbol. Once detected and highlighted on screen (for user comfort), aircraft continues decent and maintains helipad symbol in center of view until touchdown.

Am I out of my mind in thinking this shouldn't be that difficult to program? Both of these features would increase usability for photography doing site surveys and surveillance as well as making landings more precise.

Thoughts?

Ground Station.

Your second idea would be insanely difficult to get operational. There is no connection between the video screen and the GPS, so the GPS and guidance systems doesn't understand its position in relation to what is on the video screen.
Maybe a system where it could make minute changes in the course based on the video screen? But, that software is not anywhere in the system now, so I feel like it would be pretty difficult to add at this point.

Your first idea is very doable, and it's been hinted to be in development already (if only to remain competitive with Walkera)

For #1, you might also be able to use waypoints as-is in Ground Station, but also include the option to set the direction the Phantom should be pointing. A complete circle is a good idea. I'm thinking there will be times when the area to photograph is not circular though.

Its easy done.
You claim to be a pilot.
Then learn to fly like a pro.
Not all points of interest are round so maintaining approx the same distance from a objects is a way to go.
Thats done with practice. Not some gismo feature.

ToThePoint said:
Even for those who do have a lot of experience, I doubt many (if any) could fly a complete circle around a point, at a consistent speed, consistent altitude, and while pointed at a center point. Nothing beats the precision of software.

Dunno - experienced pilot or not, the ability to autonomously circle a fixed point of interest would be very handy. This video of a WooKong-M programmed flight would be hard to do no matter your skill.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqzmRXrABag[/youtube]

ToThePoint said:
Its easy done.
You claim to be a pilot.
Not all points of interest are round so maintaining approx the same distance from a objects is a way to go.
Thats done with practice. Not some gismo feature.

I don't claim to be a pilot... I claim to be a videographer. The Phantom, or any drone for that matter, is a tool to get incredible shots. Besides, the Phantom series is not meant for Pros, it is meant for people like me who want to film in the air without the need to be a pro pilot. Features like these would allows me to focus on the end product, which is what my clients care about the most.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik