Auto-landing with negative altitude?

Reaction score
Let's launch the craft from the top of a moutain per example. He will reset to zero altitude from this point. Pilot flying down and craft getting negative altitude readings, why not.

Then pilot hit auto-landing icon and P4 starts going down and all ok so far.

How craft will know it's time to reduce descending speed when approaching to the ground, barometric reading being negative? Presumably VPS but will suffice to land smoothly?

Any feedback welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Very good question! I had never thought about that. Have you tried this scenario?

I don't have a P4, but I will assume that VPS will let it land normally. Motors will shut down when vertical descent stops. (when on the ground). Also, I think the normal descending speed is the same as the landing speed and is slow enough to hit the ground and land without damage.

I would also like to hear the opinion of others.

I have run into this, it worked fine for me on my Inspire 1, I assume the VPS is what slowed it.

I literally just got home from doing this, flew from the top of a rock formation, landed on the ground below me without any issue..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know my Standard will bounce just before it contacts the ground, and it has no VPS. I assumed it was a result of a barometric pressure spike from prop force contacting a surface.
It does this even if you land at a different elevation.

Reactions: sinxa
Thanks for feedback guys, this is maybe why there is no option in Go app to disable VPS.. But if someone disable VPS in Litchi then not sure how craft can auto-land (I'm not using Litchi yet) ??

Thanks for feedback guys, this is maybe why there is no option in Go app to disable VPS.. But if someone disable VPS in Litchi then not sure how craft can auto-land (I'm not using Litchi yet) ??

I believe the option is now available in the latest version of DJI Go to disable VPS.

you guys saying as everone has vps and sonar. . . . :lol

i am with techcop50. . . .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub