Auto...landing, takeoff, return to home - do I need to beware?

Reaction score
I've read so many people that have had issues right after using Auto-takeoff that I decided that I was going to stay away from the auto features. (I'm on 1.19 so perhaps I don't need to be worried about it). Today I realized that while I had 6 flights in, I hadn't tested Return to home and that I should get familiar with it. I did it twice and it came right home beautifully but I was worried about it going haywire.

Do I need to be worried on 1.19?

Do I need to worry about RTH? Or just auto-takeoff?

I don't care about landing as I've only hand caught so far and don't plan on changing that.

I'm still running 1.1.9 too (I'm assuming that's what you meant). I tried auto takeoff a few times and it worked well. For RTH, the only thing I'd recommend is to take control once your Phantom gets close to the home point. That way you can control the descent and landing -- since you can no doubt do it more precisely and carefully than your Phantom.

I'm still running 1.1.9 too (I'm assuming that's what you meant). I tried auto takeoff a few times and it worked well. For RTH, the only thing I'd recommend is to take control once your Phantom gets close to the home point. That way you can control the descent and landing -- since you can no doubt do it more precisely and carefully than your Phantom.
+1

Ive had great luck with auto take off and auto land....but rth has messed up once and went the total other direction.

Aww that's no fun! You have to at least see RTH it do it all the way once! But learning to take control is better and a MUST for all Pilots to learn.
RTH is easy and Invaluable just make sure your home point is set, something you should always check on the MAP. It's neat when showing your friends too.
Auto take off is safe i use to do it almost all the time, now I do it manually, I think because its faster to me.

I am using 1.1.9 FW as well
Auto take off, landing, RTH (with taking back control just a couple feet over ground at final approach) all works fine. I flew a couple times under pretty windy conditions (the kite surfers had fun!) And my P3P has been super stable. I tested altitude and brougth the bird up to almost 500 meter. I could not see the white P3 at this hight but could pinpoint the location through the live view on my tablet. I initiated RTH from that height and had fun watching the bird coming right home. Next time I am out flying I will try course lock for the first time as I need to prepare for a real estate shot I want to take soon.

The only time I tried auto takeoff, the Phantom turned over on it's side, then righted itself and took off. Really, takeoffs and landings are much easier than I imagined.

P3 with the latest firmware. I always use auto-takeoff from a level, dry, paved (or stable) place. It has never failed. It stabilizes at 3 feet, then I take it up to 20-30 feet to watch it for a few seconds. If it's still stable, which it always is, up it goes. Auto landings and RTH landings have gotten wonky since the firmware upgrade. But they are easy to abort close to the ground for easy manual landings, or at arms length for stable hand catching.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31