Auto Landing for Unknown Reason?

Reaction score
I hooked up my GoPro and took a flight. All showed well before takeoff with the green light single flash. I took it up quite high in elevation but could still see it for some aerial video. About the time I wished to return the Phantom, it quit responding to the controller and few directly overhead very high and very slowly started dropping until it eventually landed. I looked at controller and still showed power but could never regain control myself. It did exactly what it should do if I had lost communication but no known reason that communication would have been lost. I looked and saw green flashing on the Phantom during slow descent. I finally got it down after lots of worry of a loss, but it landed just fine at same spot of takeoff and it was ultimately within a distance of reasonable flight and elevation was high, but been there before with no issue also.

Just can't figure out why it went into self land mode? I changed the battery in Phantom and made another flight at low altitudes and flew all over the place in a short distance and responded quite well. A little worried now as to reason it lost control or possible loss of signal? Light on controller is lit showing power. Any idea so I don't do it again? Could it of possibly got out of range and go into self land and once it happens, it will not regain control?

I looked at the video and noticed that I had it facing North while flying and when the auto took over, it turned directly South and flew South until it got directly overhead of start position and eventually lowered for a land. I am guessing it was likely between 300 - 400 feet in elevation when it happened. Until I know a reason, I a little afraid to get it very high or away for fear that next time, I will not return and lose this thing. Should always return, but should not have had to auto return home in the first place?

Guess I found the problem. Am supposing I lost signal to Phantom for at least 3 seconds and went to fail safe. Never gained control. Found out in latest software manual, i needed to switch out of gps mode to middle switch to regain control. Not sure why I lost signal, but it apparently did so.

dastagg said:
Guess I found the problem. Am supposing I lost signal to Phantom for at least 3 seconds and went to fail safe. Never gained control. Found out in latest software manual, i needed to switch out of gps mode to middle switch to regain control. Not sure why I lost signal, but it apparently did so.

The stock receiver on the Phantom is a puny little thing, and together with the TX, is not the most robust when it comes to range and power. That's why many pilots have swapped them out for something more substantial.

Luckily, the Failsafe/RTH works pretty well, or you might have just helplessly watched it sail over the horizon.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ecker.html

You may want to get the gadget above handy because you can check the flight pack capacity right after the landing to make sure than the battery is NOT the cause for the FS landing. I myself several times put the partially used pack back in.

Also check if you have the Receiver Advance Protection (RAP) ON or OFF. This is because some may want to check the GPS holding and let the Phantom fly with no stick input and the next thing is that the RAP kicks in! You have 20 + 10 seconds for that.

Also check if you have the Receiver Advance Protection (RAP) ON or OFF. This is because some may want to check the GPS holding and let the Phantom fly with no stick input and the next thing is that the RAP kicks in! You have 20 + 10 seconds for that

Hmmm, could you please explain this statement? This could very well be what happened? Looked in the software and don't see a Receiver advance Protecton on/off position. What is purpose as I was in a hover position for video when the issue occurred and could very well be my issue from what I possibly understand by your statement. I looked and see this as a part of the upgrade, but don't see anything explaining reason for using it or how to turn off/on.

RAP-screenshotSmall_zps80483f71.jpg

This feature was designed to protect & prevent the fly away in case when there's NO stick input signal for 20 seconds.
First the Phantom will just hover automatically and then if for another 10 seconds with NO input from the TX, NAZA will assume that the communication is lost thus enter the FS mode.

Thanks for your help. I looked all over and didn't see that setting last night. I will make adjustment as I am sure that is what occurred and don't want that again. For filming, I sometimes just want to hover for a period and don't want to get to the fail safe mode in these instances. Kudos for your help.

Since the FS can be activated by low voltage, so:

May I suggest you use the gadget below:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ecker.html

Use the default setting as the starting point, fly until it lands with FS, check the pack and the remaining capacity should be 20% or more, otherwise adjust the settings accordingly.
The battery pack will last much longer if it is used up less than 80% of its capacity.
More importantly this will protect you from the FS landing because of low voltage.

Also read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=941

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav