Auto landing at 10%

Reaction score
I hate the fact that the bird auto lands at 10% where ever you are at. Almost crashed today, being literally feet away from the home point. They should let the battery run down more. I feel like we are getting ripped off over the 23 min claim of battery life.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The alternative to not auto landing is to allow the battery to shut off mid-flight. It's a safety precaution that the Phantom must take when you push it to its limits.

If you land by the time the first battery cell reaches 3.4V, then you should never hit the critical low battery level when it's set to 10%. Check out this thread for more details about monitoring the battery voltage.

The firmware allows you to still control the direction of the Phantom while it's descending. So if you were 10 or 20 feet in the air you could easily direct the Phantom to land at the home point if you were only a few feet away.

Lipos won't go to zero. If they do, they will most like stop working. 10% is the very last opportunity that a person has to land, which still being able to control the Phantom. If you still need to fly somewhere at 10%... _you_ have made a mistake, not the programming.

Reactions: HWCM
I did control the direction, but the thing descends way too fast. Came inches away from clipping a couple of trees.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did control the direction, but the thing descends way too fast. Came inches away from clipping a couple of trees.
When the auto descend starts, you can hold throttle for altitude at like 40% and it will hover, more power and it will gain elevation. You can do this until power cuts. I've found that you can fly (hover in my test) for 15-20 seconds after the battery hits 0%. I don't recommend that though. Just take the power back :)

Cannot really see the reason for flying all the way down to 10%, unless you are shooting a film of Elvis landing with a flying saucer in the midst of a zombie invasion or something.

// Tom

Reactions: Reed L and 4wd
Cannot really see the reason for flying all the way down to 10%, unless you are shooting a film of Elvis landing with a flying saucer in the midst of a zombie invasion or something.

// Tom
C'mon .. I know for a fact that Elvis would NEVER land his ship in the midst of a zombie invasion .... he was far to clever for that! Sheeeesh...

It won't gain elevation at all when in auto land mode. You can make it maintain elevation and change direction only.

I agree that it lands a bit too quickly when that happens it always makes for a rough drop but better than the alternative.

It won't gain elevation at all when in auto land mode. You can make it maintain elevation and change direction only.

I agree that it lands a bit too quickly when that happens it always makes for a rough drop but better than the alternative.

That's not correct. You can gain elevation in auto land mode...I've done it. That's how I was able to land it where I wanted to, instead of it coming down in the middle of a cornfield.

Reactions: Digdat0
Typically this is correct.

However, it is possible to be so low on power it will not climb anymore.

Maybe this is what henick experienced.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic