Auto 'dronie'?

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn filming techniques ahead of a carribean vacation.
If I get practice now I won't have to be making silly time consuming mistakes later.
Regarding taking these 'dronie' clips (I wish they had come up with a nicer word, lol). Simply seems a case of centering ourselves close up and slowly flying backwards whilst elevating and keeping myself and girlfriend centred....
Can you think of a way to automate this process with a P3A so that I don't have to have the controller on my lap in every shot? It kinda spoils the effect. Have been watching a few on YouTube and holding the controller is pretty much the standard procedure.
It's likely this can be achieved using the DJI GO waypoint feature but that means me flying it first every time. Just really need nice steady automated process.

Try litchi mission planner, it has many different options like: advanced way points ( where u can even automate the angle of the cam individually for each way point)

Just start the mission from the rc and hide it. It will get you awesome shots if you preset it right without any piloting from you

However i advise u to read about it so you know what ur doin

Put a cloth or something similar coloured to your top on the remote controller so it won't be so obvious in the shot. Once the phantom is a few feet away it won't be so obvious. But if it's white (as it is now) it sticks out in video like a sore thumb. Just make sure the antennae are free from obstruction!

But I'd be using litchi cos I have it.

I have Litchi...
I can see how this could work using two way points.
One problem I see:
Assuming I will have very limited Internet on what will be a bunch of islands, how can I cache maps?
I an aware of the map caching facility in google maps, and could easily cache 8 islands, but will this mean the maps are readily accessible in Litchi and DJI Go? And if not how can I cache the areas in litchi prior to arriving?

This is from the "cookbook" on Litchi's help site:
Doing a Selfie in GS Mode
  1. Set up Mission Parameters as desired
    1. Set Default Waypoint Gimbal Pitch to "Focus POI"
    2. Set Cruising Speed to 1. This is extremely important since that is the speed that the aircraft will fly as it tries to find the 1st WP.
    3. Set RC Speed to the max speed you want for the selfie.
  2. Set up Waypoints
    1. Start up and fly your aircraft to where you want the selfie to begin at least 10 meters away from people,
    2. Add a waypoint by one of the two following methods.
      1. Deselect the Add POI Button (if it is selected) and press the aircraft icon in the map view or
      2. Press a Custom Button that has been set to "Waypoint at Aircraft"
    3. Fly your aircraft to where you want the selfie to go next, and add another waypoint.
    4. Repeat this for as many waypoints as you want, always remembering to point the aircraft towards you and framing yourself in the video feed.
  3. Fly the aircraft back toward the start of the selfie mission.
  4. Set up POI. This will focus all your waypoints on yourself or any subject for that matter.
    1. Place a POI at your location in one of the two following methods
      1. Press the Add POI button and press the blue dot, which represents the location of the RC, on the map screen or
      2. Press a Custom Button that has been set to "POI at Device".
  5. Run the mission
    1. Remember to push the RC switch to P to cancel the mission.
    2. Press Run.
    3. Use the RC Pitch Stick (Forward/Back) to control the speed of the aircraft.

What carribean island are you visiting as Barbados has stopped drones entering the country for a year.

Litchi is the way to go if you have/can get cached maps.

I have flown 500m away at 10-15 ft and had Litchi focus on a duck blind and then back up and ascend quickly. Nice effect.

Woulda been real nice shot with a wedding bride in the duck blind. lol

You could have a few close, but extra WPs before the real money shot just to give yourself last minute time for slight adjustments to subjects and then as it gets close to placing you in frame, set the controller out of sight behind you. Or give it to a friend off camera as a safety shutdown operator.

What carribean island are you visiting as Barbados has stopped drones entering the country for a year.

Would like to know also since I'm heading to Curacao this summer and debating if I should take my P3 or not.

Hmmm
Arrival March 2017
We fly to Barbados but board a ship once there. If Barbados is a problem I can abstain from using it there but it will be a shame.
Why the one year ban??

UPDATE
found this:
Drone operators beware!

Last edited:
Well I will be carrying the Phantom backpack as hand luggage. Am I to assume that this is regarded as 'importation'?
I can't see a problem with entering Barbados with it at x-ray so long as I don't fly it over Bridgetown lol. I won't risk using it in Barbados if it's a no-no, it will be a pity though.
Customs will be aware that I'm boarding a cruise.
I will email the Barbadian authorities with a straight question and update here if I get a response.

Well I will be carrying the Phantom backpack as hand luggage. Am I to assume that this is regarded as 'importation'?
I can't see a problem with entering Barbados with it at x-ray so long as I don't fly it over Bridgetown lol. I won't risk using it in Barbados if it's a no-no, it will be a pity though.
Customs will be aware that I'm boarding a cruise.
I will email the Barbadian authorities with a straight question and update here if I get a response.
Yeah let me know as it would be interesting to see what is said from the source.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic