Australian Phantom Flyers!

After watching more of the race I think it was just the cable cam, from a couple angles it looked like a quad. The full size heli pilots were nutters though sticking them in between the trees pretty tight. Maybe they were trying to prove there is no need for rc quads :mrgreen: . I think a quad going down would be much safer then a full size heli but I think the helis are also used for the onboard video feeds, skippy also got another one lol.

I'm starting look at what I'll fly next! When I bought my phantom I got a quote for a complete RTF F550 kit . . . I still have that sitting on the wall, now there is the new A2(?) FC so I might need to look at that, but I was also pleased with the TBS discovery, and starting to lean toward that set up with the gimbal. I've only got motors and a decent gimbal to add to my phantom and its just about topped off, I could keep spending money on it, but I'd like a second larger heli with longer flight times and equipped with a good quality gimbal.

My setup is nearly fully pimped out, I am also in the same boat but I got all my upgrades considering moving it onto a larger setup. The thing is I quite like the size of the phantom and though I have 6 tiger motors I dont see the need for anything larger then a quad. I have no interest in flying cameras larger then a gopro and gimbal and my setup has shown this can be flown quite well on a quad. 450 size will allow larger props but then its more of a pain to transport it, the main thing that makes me consider those is the battery size limitation and I want to keep it mostly inside the shell. If I went for external batteries in a phantom I figure I may as well go for a TBS, 450 frame or maybe something waterproof in that size.

My next and last mod to the phantom will be the last parts I need for the next build, that is getting some 30a ESC's. I want to first try this in the phantom along with a 4S battery and going by the specs on my tiger motors these will give more lift then I will ever need out of a quad.

20130515051850998.jpg

Using that chart a 4S with APC 10x3.8 props (very similar to flying GWS 9050 triblades on phantom) for a larger build I would go for larger dual bladed props but phantom cant do 10 inches but the GWS tris I find are fine as is. At 4s thrust @50% throttle would be 540g per motor and 100% 1280g per motor, if anything this may be too much thrust and at 1.2-1.3kg it could cause motors to shutdown needing well under 50% throttle for hover.

Compare that to 3S where it fly's quite well 50% 370g and 100% 900g thrust so 50% is 1480g thrust on a quad with these motors and apc 10x3.8 and quite likely very similar to the GWS 9050. This is not much more then my current setup weighs and in manual mode I am at just below 50% throttle with these props in a hover so it seems quite close to those figures.

Going by the 4s specs and being able to easily lift more weight I should be able to use much larger batteries around 4500-5500mah and still get plenty of lift. May be pushing the phantom frame itself a bit but also the GWS 9050 props are best for 4s and kv750-800 motors. So in that case I kind of wish I went with kv800 instead of kv900 motors but still worth trying on my current ones. If no good I will simply stick with a larger 3s battery.

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/sku-27

I am considering getting a phantom v2 shell and putting my stuff into there if its around the same price as the current phantom shell being $49 at Multiwii then I will gladly give this a go along with the ESC's and I will also make a custom board getting rid of the DJI mainboard I really dont need anymore. If it doesnt really work then I will simply look at the larger frame options but first want to see what I can get out of the smaller 330 frame that is big enough for lifting a gopro and gimbal.

I am fine with NAZA v1 and PMUv2, I dont think I need WKM or A2 I rarely fly in GPS mode and have no interest in automated flight.

I built an f550 for a mate the other day. He was only getting 6 -7 mins with 1 battery and no camera or gimbal. So i'm guessing with 2 batts, fpv, camera and gimbal he will be getting max 12 mins. I'm now getting 14.5 mins until first voltage and 15.5 mins until second voltage warning with full fpv setup. I do like the amount of room inside the 550 and i'm sure if he upgraded motors and props that he would get more flight time. The base kit for the 550 is only $800 for kit, motors, esc's, naza v2, gps, pmu and props. It may be my next project but i'm in no hurry. I'm sure there will be some developments in the near future. The 550 seems a bit heavy stock. I didn't know you could put bigger esc's in the phantom. I could only imagine what sort of rocket ship it would become, you may have the first supersonic phantom Martcerv :lol:

martcerv said:
Using that chart a 4S with APC 10x3.8 props (very similar to flying GWS 9050 triblades on phantom) for a larger build I would go for larger dual bladed props but phantom cant do 10 inches but the GWS tris I find are fine as is. At 4s thrust @50% throttle would be 540g per motor and 100% 1280g per motor, if anything this may be too much thrust and at 1.2-1.3kg it could cause motors to shutdown needing well under 50% throttle for hover.

If you're monkeying with motors already, have you considered vertically offsetting two of the props to le tyou use larger ones? A lot of the overlap will be over the fuselage anyway where you're already taking a performance hit so the losses may not be too bad.

Interesting idea I dont think I want to go that far in the phantom more to make it look kind of stock on the outside minus the paint job and those 9050 triblades should be enough at 4s or even larger 3s batts if need, overlapping motors may cause some issues and though it sounds like something interesting to try the only adavantage would be to use 10 inch props and then theyd likely lose any efficiency advantage they would have over 9 inch triblades so I dont think it will give you much if any gain.

For the next build I really dont know which way to go as I will only need a gps unit and then I can put it on any frame Id like but I want to see if I can get the phantom to where I want first and only change after the next big crash, main goal is to get 10 min+ safe flight time at my max weight whatever that will end up being.

I have heard guys with 550's arent getting much more flight time out of it, there may be ways to increase that and if you have enough lift then can take a larger battery but I think if your flying a gopro and gimbal with not much interest in larger cameras going beyond a quad is a bit of overkill.

I have seen some cool looking 450 setups with 8 motors top and bottom, again way overkill for what I need but interesting way to get more lift out of a smaller frame. Should be just as doable on a TBS frame too I think but I still think for what I am wanting something fairly small that can fly well with up to 1.5kg total weight a quad is fine. Adding more motors, props and arms is complicating things and adding more weight needing more power to stay airborne so the only real advantage of such setups I see is if your needing to lift a heavier camera.

I do have stacks of different props to try in 8 and 9 inches so with higher RPM other props may work better then what I am using atm.

Anyone in Cairns, Darwin or Alice Springs with one of these?

Would love to see one in the flesh.

hi i am in Rockhampton ,have not flown yet but will wait till the next Phantom is released before i buy. good to see a Ausy thread,all the best for christmas .Les

Brisbane here. The Phantom is used as a trainer for my colleagues. I have a recently acquired Phantom 2 Vision. It is real nice! :)

I just seen a 7 news update that showed footage of the CFA using a Phantom Vision to assist with back burning operations! I know in the CASA list of approved "operator certificates" the CFA is in there!

Story for the above post.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-10/r ... ed/5194980
They should learn heaps from video like that.It's an excellent view of how the fire moves and how fast it's going.

The police in Queensland are using them too now.
There was one used to monitor a siege on boxing day and there was a story on nine news about the drone and pilot a few days later that ended by saying that it is illegal for the public to use drones (their words).Typical of TV news to find some sensationalist angle and to get it wrong.
I have found the tv news piece but the video won't play for me.Probably because my browser/player isn't owned by Nine MSN. :lol:
http://video.news.ninemsn.com.au/?uuid=2981834119001

Here's the story.
http://www.suasnews.com/2013/12/26695/p ... ibilities/

And fire fighters in Melbourne are using a "Cyber Quad".A what now?
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/343634,me ... truck.aspx

Wollongong here, my Phantom 2 Vision arrives tomorrow i hope, it went through customs from Hong Kong like a dream lol (no duty). I have never seen a quad-copter in the flesh round here so i will prob attract some attention :/ I live on the coast with some aweosome spots to fly so cant wait :D

Warrnambool here. Having a great time with my P2V. Handles perfect and easy to use. Takes great photos & video.

Dave, Sydney. Good to see some Aussies on this forum. Here is a vid from around Terrigal beach area. Before I got a gimbal. I also painted my phantom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj4moJT ... ata_player

ty2amuny.jpg

eja9y8ej.jpg

Now I've got a gimbal and fpv I'm only getting 5min flight time. Struggling to find solutions to get it up to at least 10min. Waiting for a new 2500 30c battery to arrive and some 9"props so when they arrive I'll do some testing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31