Australian National Parks now require drone permits ?

And I finally got a reply from parks about flying in a national park.

67356253de4e33a4d41caa8c4ad0a8d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Sparky1963
Thanks guys, good info.
Sparky there must (I'm assuming) be 'conditions' under which they will not pay? (my heathy scepticism of Insurance Companies showing through perhaps). For example i- f pilot did something 'silly' like fly beyond LOS (unlikely as this example may be) and 3rd party damage or injury arose?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Spanky, id just double check. Public Liability is a business style insurance product. You may be reading your Motor Vehicle policy (CTP, third party or comprehensive) which has the extension for legal liability in connection with driving related incidents- akin to public liability. Contents will not have that extension unfortunately.

Check the NRMA website under 'public liability', sorry, I wish it was that way, there's a premium to pay for insuring this type of risk.

Last edited:
Spanky, id just double check. Public Liability is a business style insurance product. You may be reading your Motor Vehicle policy (CTP, third party or comprehensive) which has the extension for legal liability in connection with driving related incidents- akin to public liability. Contents will not have that extension unfortunately.

Check the NRMA website under 'public liability', sorry, I wish it was that way, there's a premium to pay for insuring this type of risk.
I have been meaning to read the product disclosure statement for almost 12 momths (nrma). They announced at the end of 2015 they were offering drone coverage with if I recall correctly $20mil liability (when flown for hobby) and to my suprise said it covered the insured while flying. Seemed to good to be true (I hate insurance company's) but my interest is renewed now.

Reactions: Paul Bradley
I just had a quick look at the pds on the NRMA site but couldn't find any specific mention of PL cover for drones or rc craft.

There appears to be general coverage for 'incidents' so it MIGHT be covered under that catch all type of phrase. This looks like it's similar to other home/contents insurance so I don't know what actually differentiates NRMA. Where does it mention it in your cover, Sparky?

** Note: As always you need to read the pds yourself!

Last edited:
I just had a quick look at the pds on the NRMA site but couldn't find any specific mention of PL cover for drones or rc craft.

There appears to be general coverage for 'incidents' so it MIGHT be covered under that catch all type of phrase. This looks like it's similar to other home/contents insurance so I don't know what actually differentiates NRMA. Where does it mention it in your cover, Sparky?

** Note: As always you need to read the pds yourself!
Agreed the PDS is light on re drones or UAV. I did find the press release Recreational drone users advised to check cover before take-off

Thanks guys, good info.
Sparky there must (I'm assuming) be 'conditions' under which they will not pay? (my heathy scepticism of Insurance Companies showing through perhaps). For example i- f pilot did something 'silly' like fly beyond LOS (unlikely as this example may be) and 3rd party damage or injury arose?

Lawrie, I'd been looking around for a while for drone insurance, companies such as Osmans insurance underwriters QBE GIO but they will only cover commercial drone users, by chance I rang NRMA for which I have several insurances in my name, they asked me a few questions about what I'd be using drone for just recreational work and they said no problem as long I abide by all the regulations including CASA especially when flying near populated areas, they sent me out my insurance certificate for which I carry with me now, and yes (I had to ask 3 times it does cover me for public liability up to $20M. Makes me feel a bit me more at ease now

Reactions: Paul Bradley
HAHA... in Australia its the tree-hugging Labor/Green parties (Democrats/Greenpeace), who currently are not in power federally but are in power at a state level... its messy here ;)
haha yes.. 'liberal' is backwards and means center right.

Spanky- that's great news about NRMA.. Just to give you some context to explain my cyncism, i had to authorise Arial film shoot in WA from a helicopter - they only had $5mil PL and it was a battle to get $10mil! NRMA may be acting outside of their underwriting guidelines but if you've got it in writing then you're sorted. :cool:

I think if we reasonably abide by the rules set out here New drone rules cut red tape | Civil Aviation Safety Authority then we should be right.

No doubt each year regulations will become tougher catalysed by incidents such as sausage-gate (what a shame!)

Lol saw that too [emoji6] (Spanky). Paul good points, I'm in Victoria, I think new CASA rules make Vic Parks 'no fly without permission' which will not be considered unless drone pilot CASA compliant. Yet new CASA rules indicate sub 2kg recreational pilots can fly. Circular argument if you get what I mean. Oh well, 2017 will bring on new developments nodoubt..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT