Atti mode...

Reaction score
I am a nervous newbie with under 30 flights with the Advanced 3 - and so far so good. Not wanting to venture out too far but am getting some good altitude. For the firs time today the drone went into anti mode whilst in P mode with 18+ satellites. I moved it quickly and it went back into GPS mode - anyone have any feedback on this. Greatly appreciated.

did it give you a compass error when it went into atti mode?

Did you calibrate it at this location before take off?

Last edited:
Where was it calibrated.. did you have any metal near by sounds like it was a bad calibration and something effected it.

Make sure you are in an open area mostly grass and nothing that may cause issues during calibration or try avoid calibrating so often.

There have been reports about P3 switching on its own to ATTI mode and back. The result was near flyaway / crash. You are lucky that you were alert and could get it back to GPS mode back quickly.

I have not read the solution to such problems anywhere. This could be due to DJI Go App glitch or HW problem of RC. You got to be careful now onwards.

1. Get your logs analyzed to check if you find anything.
2. Reinstall DJI Go App.
3. Contact DJI support.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The green lights after calibration were the same as always. A new location - a cliff behind be and on a grass open patch with metal railing in front of me. I thought it was always best to calibrate before every flight. This is the first time it has happened - it quickly went back into GPS mode with 18+ salelities - maybe it was due to the cliff or metal railings I can only assume. I was hoping to get out some distance to get an aerial view of a castle - but only got out 40m ! Hence, I am nervous about going out too far.

There have been reports about P3 switching on its own to ATTI mode and back. The result was near flyaway / crash. You are lucky that you were alert and could get it back to GPS mode back quickly.

I have not read the solution to such problems anywhere. This could be due to DJI Go App glitch or HW problem of RC. You got to be careful now onwards.

1. Get your logs analyzed to check if you find anything.
2. Reinstall DJI Go App.
3. Contact DJI support.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Thanks very much. I will take care and see what I can do.

100% it would of been the metal railings.. calibrate it away from that railings then fly safely at this location... I have noticed even a small amount of metal near by will cause calibration problems... exactly how you described above.

100% it would of been the metal railings.. calibrate it away from that railings then fly safely at this location... I have noticed even a small amount of metal near by will cause calibration problems... exactly how you described above.
Thanks so much ! Really appreciated. Again, this is the first time this has happened. The railings were about 2/3 metres away so will not go back there again. Confidence about flying long distances it taking a bit of time.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I have had my P3P for about 8 months and I have only calibrated once, and that was the day I had it.

I did have an instance where 'compass error' flashed up very briefly once, but that was probably because I was flying pretty close to a lot of steel work on an old mine.

Other than that it's been great.

I have had my P3P for about 8 months and I have only calibrated once, and that was the day I had it.

I did have an instance where 'compass error' flashed up very briefly once, but that was probably because I was flying pretty close to a lot of steel work on an old mine.

Other than that it's been great.
Oh, I was really under the impression from all of the on-line tutorials that you needed to calibrate it every time you fly. A constant learning curve - in my ignorance I even thought this was something setting up the 'home point' - now I know better. Thanks for your reply. Appreciated.

Reactions: fantom69
I am a nervous newbie with under 30 flights with the Advanced 3 - and so far so good. Not wanting to venture out too far but am getting some good altitude. For the firs time today the drone went into anti mode whilst in P mode with 18+ satellites. I moved it quickly and it went back into GPS mode - anyone have any feedback on this. Greatly appreciated.
I've had it happen one time . I was fighting a heavy head wind and I think that may of been why. It can get more speed in ATT. I'm not sure but on the way back it was hitting 56 mph.

Not if you do it where the earth's magnetic field is distorted by lots of steel.
Read this thread to learn about compass calibration and when it's really necessary: Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

I travelled from California to Hawaii last week with my Phantoms. After reaching there, I charged all the batteries and went to the beach for flying. I took chance of NOT calibrating my drone. It flew flawless. Next, I changed battery and calibrated and took off. I didn't see any noticeable change in its behavior. I was expecting compass error first time and was alert but it flew so smoothly and was absolutely stable in high winds.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilotslp

Last edited:
Thanks again for your reply. I guess living in an island 5 x 7 miles and once it has been successfully calibrated - then there should be no need to do it again unless I travel off island. This is certainly new to me not having to do this every time. AND would have saved, probably the incident today. Addictive, but a learning curve each week. Thank you.

Reactions: JohnnyB
Reactions: JoBe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan