ATTI mode!

Reaction score
First day flying ATTI mode and what a difference! I enabled NAZA last night and I can see using this a lot while shooting video because there's much less resistance to turns and changes in altitude and, consequently, much less bumpy footage. Knowing that Course Lock is just a click away gives me added assurance when flying. Some experienced pilots say Course Lock just makes you a lazy pilot but, right now, it adds to my confidence as a newbie flyer. Consider it a safety net for my baby :D

Why course lock over home lock?

Home Lock will simply bring the Phantom back via a straight line. So that is a specific function. Course Lock allows the Phantom to follow the direction of your Tx sticks exactly, regardless of what way the Phantom is facing.

Let's say your phantom is facing you (i.e., the camera is looking at you). If you stick left, it will go right, if you stick right, it will go left. If you pull the stick towards you, it will move away from you. Everything is opposite because the front of the Phantom is turned around. If you lose track of what direction the Phantom is facing because it is too far away. Let's say it's just a little dot and it seems to be getting close to a tree. If you get confused for a second and forgot it got turned around and you wanted to avoid the tree, you might actually fly it into the tree because it was not facing the way you thought. With Course Lock, there are no surprises...left is left, right is right, etc.

Let me know if that makes sense. It's hard to explain.

disjecta said:
Home Lock will simply bring the Phantom back via a straight line. So that is a specific function. Course Lock allows the Phantom to follow the direction of your Tx sticks exactly, regardless of what way the Phantom is facing.

Let's say your phantom is facing you (i.e., the camera is looking at you). If you stick left, it will go right, if you stick right, it will go left. If you pull the stick towards you, it will move away from you. Everything is opposite because the front of the Phantom is turned around. If you lose track of what direction the Phantom is facing because it is too far away. Let's say it's just a little dot and it seems to be getting close to a tree. If you get confused for a second and forgot it got turned around and you wanted to avoid the tree, you might actually fly it into the tree because it was not facing the way you thought. With Course Lock, there are no surprises...left is left, right is right, etc.

Let me know if that makes sense. It's hard to explain.

You're close, but I think you've got them confused a bit. Home lock causes all movements of the Phantom to be relative to the home position (whatever it recorded when you first powered it up). Therefore, if you stand at or near the home position with the Tx, the Phantom's movements will always be in relation to where you're standing. Pull back on the right stick, and the Phantom will come towards you. Move the right stick to the left, and the Phantom will move left in relation to you. Hold the right stick to the left, and the Phantom will gradually make a circle around home point at whatever range it is at.

Course lock causes the Phantom's movements to be relative to the course it recorded when you switched it on. If you hold the right stick to the left in this mode, the Phantom will fly left in relation to the course (90deg from it) rather than in a circle like with HL.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... on_Control

Note: depending on the course and home locations the NAZA recorded, they can behave very similar relative to your control position. Also, CL doesn't work until the aircraft is >10m away from home point.

I'm just starting to use these NAZA modes more, also. I think Course Lock can be quite useful for filming. The yaw control basically has no effect on aircraft direction, so you can turn the camera left & right as needed to keep your subject framed - without changing the aircraft's course.

OI Photography said:
You're close, but I think you've got them confused a bit. Home lock causes all movements of the Phantom to be relative to the home position (whatever it recorded when you first powered it up). Therefore, if you stand at or near the home position with the Tx, the Phantom's movements will always be in relation to where you're standing. Pull back on the right stick, and the Phantom will come towards you. Move the right stick to the left, and the Phantom will move left in relation to you. Hold the right stick to the left, and the Phantom will gradually make a circle around home point at whatever range it is at.

Course lock causes the Phantom's movements to be relative to the course it recorded when you switched it on. If you hold the right stick to the left in this mode, the Phantom will fly left in relation to the course (90deg from it) rather than in a circle like with HL.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... on_Control

Note: depending on the course and home locations the NAZA recorded, they can behave very similar relative to your control position. Also, CL doesn't work until the aircraft is >10m away from home point.

Great, thanks for the clarification.

Pull_Up said:
Silly but effective description of IOC and the differences between Course Lock and Home lock in my signature below if you require a visual aid involving Lego... ;)

Derp. I should have just referred them to your vid :oops:

No way! Some people get the whole IOC thing from a good, clear written explanation. Others, like me, need to actually see it before it clicks fully home.

(Oh, and judging by feedback I've had some people don't like the fact I didn't do the demo outside with the real thing, with a tripod and a DSLR and a cool graphical overlay - not sure they've got a handle on my style, really (or my technical ability and equipment level) ;) )

Pull_Up said:
Silly but effective description of IOC and the differences between Course Lock and Home lock in my signature below if you require a visual aid involving Lego... ;)

Simon, that was really very helpful, thank you.

This is all good "classroom" info and will be helpful for once the weather breaks here and I can get some NAZA/IOC stick time....thanks all!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4