ATTI mode yes, but is it sensible to learn MANUAL ?

crash1sttime said:
Khudson7 said:
I would STRONGLY recommend NOT to try manual. I tried it once and it costs me over $200 to fix it after the crash.

And thus I say that those who are afraid to fall will never fly, and if you cant afford the hobby then don't get into it.

Wow. Did you read that back ?

RhythMick said:
As a cautious newbie I spent a week reading up on all the good advice I could find. The Summary Guide PDf is invaluable and I switched mine to NAZA-M and enabled IOC before I even flew it (I have a BIG sticker reminding me to check S1/S2 are UP though).

Lots of advice to learn to fly in ATTI mode, because at some point you may well need it. Being able to fly it without relying on GPS, RTH or HL makes SO much sense. Still on my learning curve with it, but getting much better.

I've seen some advice today that I should learn to fly it in MANUAL mode - I don't get that advice, it seems wrong to me. If I have it right that will take away any stabilisation, render the IMU and compass pointless ? Sounds to me like that's something only VERY experienced pilots should do - am I right ?

The problem I see here is you believe in everything you read. First put your P2 back in Phantom Mode and learn to fly in GPS mode and what the controls when the craft is towards you. Once you've mastered flying in GPS then try ATTI and fly manually and also check how failsafe works. When you have mastered all you three of those basic modes and still what Naza-M (IOC) then go for it. Reading how to fly from a book and actually doing in real time are totally different as there is no reaction time in a book. :eek:

jason said:
RhythMick said:
As a cautious newbie I spent a week reading up on all the good advice I could find. The Summary Guide PDf is invaluable and I switched mine to NAZA-M and enabled IOC before I even flew it (I have a BIG sticker reminding me to check S1/S2 are UP though).

Lots of advice to learn to fly in ATTI mode, because at some point you may well need it. Being able to fly it without relying on GPS, RTH or HL makes SO much sense. Still on my learning curve with it, but getting much better.

I've seen some advice today that I should learn to fly it in MANUAL mode - I don't get that advice, it seems wrong to me. If I have it right that will take away any stabilisation, render the IMU and compass pointless ? Sounds to me like that's something only VERY experienced pilots should do - am I right ?

The problem I see here is you believe in everything you read. First put your P2 back in Phantom Mode and learn to fly in GPS mode and what the controls when the craft is towards you. Once you've mastered flying in GPS then try ATTI and fly manually and also check how failsafe works. When you have mastered all you three of those basic modes and still what Naza-M (IOC) then go for it. Reading how to fly from a book and actually doing in real time are totally different as there is no reaction time in a book. :eek:

Thanks for the comments, but surely my question proves I don't believe everything I read. I read that it makes sense tobe in NAZA-M mode and also to learn to fly in ATTI - makes sense to me so that's what I did. I also read "learn to fly manual, because one day you might need it" - that doesn't make sense to, which is why I posted the question to more experienced folks.

I couldn't agree more that you can't learn to fly from reading - doesn't mean I don't want to absorb all I can before I get started. People learn in different ways. I'm happy with my progress with both GPS and ATTI modes, thanks but I won't be going to Phantom mode. To me that doesn't make sense - how do people learn to fly ATTI like that ?

I will play with manual from time to time. From gps or atti hover I will switch to manual and do gentle actions. To actually fly all over would be difficult unless you are very good at it. I will switch to manual for very quick liftoff and then go back to gps or atti. I have seen videos of guys flying through trees etc on a course at very high speed that could only be done with fpv and in manual.. Amazing. I could never do that.
We all have our limits on our ability.

jason said:
RhythMick said:

Interesting take Jason... I don't see how you come to that conclusion though. He's actually questioning the last thing he read, not simply believing it - thus the whole reason he started this thread.

This dude is doing nothing different then a lot of us do... reading a lot of material - asking questions about things he's curious about.

Buckaye said:
jason said:
RhythMick said:

Interesting take Jason... I don't see how you come to that conclusion though. He's actually questioning the last thing he read, not simply believing it - thus the whole reason he started this thread.

This dude is doing nothing different then a lot of us do... reading a lot of material - asking questions about things he's curious about.

On your first flight did you start out in the NAZA-M mode or Phantom mode? That was my point.

jason said:
On your first flight did you start out in the NAZA-M mode or Phantom mode? That was my point.

NAZA-M, both switches up - ie GPS mode. Identical to Phantom mode, with the ability to use ATTI or IOC if needed. This advice from the PDF document linked in the sticky and which makes perfect sense to me.

Few different opinions on this, here is mine. I have zero desire to try manual on my P2. When I flew parkzone planes I enjoyed loops, rolls, stalls, inverted flying ect. With my P2 I get a real kick out of smooth flight and great video. I also have never flown it without the gimbal and camera and I don't want to remove it. I also don't want to risk a crash, I log all my flights and I have a clean record with one small crash on my first flight breaking one prop.

I used to drive like a clown in the winter with any RWD. I used to think it made me a safer driver knowing how to drive sideways ect. I have a clean driving record but then so does my wife who has never done these things. So it depends on how you look at it and what you want from your P2.

I think people are spoiled these days with all the new technology. The aircraft almost fly themselves. I got into building and flying rc aircraft in about 1989. Before that, it was control line. I built my scale planes from sticks, covered and painted them. No gyros, no auto anything. You learned to fly or else. It was nice to have an experienced pilot to take it up for the first flight to make sure it was ok. It was scary but the reward of a good flight and landing was very rewarding once you took the sticks. Today, we buy an aircraft that flies itself almost, crash it and buy another. The days of learning the ins and outs of flying are almost gone. Yank it out of the box, charge it up and fly...or try to. This new stuff is cool but I would not really trade it for the old days. I still have my planes. I remember spending a month or more building a plane. Up till 2 am for days with my back hurting from being bent over building. The smell of ca and my finger tips covered in it...priceless. I remember the days of using Ambroid wood glue. Ca was a God send and the kicker was icing on the cake.

Monte55 said:
I think people are spoiled these days with all the new technology. The aircraft almost fly themselves. I got into building and flying rc aircraft in about 1989. Before that, it was control line. I built my scale planes from sticks, covered and painted them. No gyros, no auto anything. You learned to fly or else. It was nice to have an experienced pilot to take it up for the first flight to make sure it was ok. It was scary but the reward of a good flight and landing was very rewarding once you took the sticks. Today, we buy an aircraft that flies itself almost, crash it and buy another. The days of learning the ins and outs of flying are almost gone. Yank it out of the box, charge it up and fly...or try to. This new stuff is cool but I would not really trade it for the old days. I still have my planes. I remember spending a month or more building a plane. Up till 2 am for days with my back hurting from being bent over building. The smell of ca and my finger tips covered in it...priceless. I remember the days of using Ambroid wood glue. Ca was a God send and the kicker was icing on the cake.

Dude - I can relate and agree with everything you just said.... but you know you stopped just short of yelling "you **** kids... get off my lawn!!!" :lol: These little whippersnappers with their fancy flying machines... I used to have to walk to school 6 miles... barefoot in the snow....

I can remember walking a very long way to school in deep snow. I had shoes. It was a bad weather day and once you got there, you found out school had been canceled. Bittersweet kinna thing. Now, who can I feel up today. Hey, I was a young boy. Hormones just jumping off my body..

Monte55 said:

I really do sympathise with this. I was sorely tempted to build something myself and just learn it but I just don't have the spare time. If that had been the only option I would not have bothered with the hobby. Now I'm loving flying, I WILL go back and build.

My little Husban Nano Q5 is SO much fun and tough as boots ...

I think everyone should try manual JMO .
Manual has saved me things start going wrong I bump it in and retake control .
Some of the comments here so if commercial plans fly them selfs now (for the most part) why would anyone need to take the tests and log in the hours to fly ?
What is going to happen if the FAA decides we need to take a test to fly quads ?
I think if more people learn how to fly manual you gain more respect for flying . We have all the problems now because of how easy it is to fly these things .
Take it how ever you want this is just MO !

I'm very new to the Phantom, but you ask WHEN might you ever need manual?
If it's even remotely like the Hubsan, then the amount you can tilt into the wind would be greater in manual mode, and therefore you MIGHT find if the quad was in high wind, and struggling to get back to you, then you might be able to fight against the wind a little better in manual? However, as I said, I could well be wrong about what "manual" mode is in a Phantom. My comment is made based SOLELY on flying a Hubsan in "Expert" mode (I fly it that way more than I fly it in normal mode) so I might be totally wrong about how the manual mode works in a Phantom, but if it lets you get a greater angle on the quad, it would in theory give you greater power against winds. However, you'd also lose altitude, so you'd probably want to be practiced at it BEFORE you find the wind is stealing your quad, and you are thinking about trying out manual to get back.

Ezookiel said:
I'm very new to the Phantom, but you ask WHEN might you ever need manual?
If it's even remotely like the Hubsan, then the amount you can tilt into the wind would be greater in manual mode, and therefore you MIGHT find if the quad was in high wind, and struggling to get back to you, then you might be able to fight against the wind a little better in manual? However, as I said, I could well be wrong about what "manual" mode is in a Phantom. My comment is made based SOLELY on flying a Hubsan in "Expert" mode (I fly it that way more than I fly it in normal mode) so I might be totally wrong about how the manual mode works in a Phantom, but if it lets you get a greater angle on the quad, it would in theory give you greater power against winds. However, you'd also lose altitude, so you'd probably want to be practiced at it BEFORE you find the wind is stealing your quad, and you are thinking about trying out manual to get back.

Thanks that makes sense. I agree I actually find the Hubsan easier to control in Expert mode for some reason.

I wouldn't fly in high wind, but it could always pick up unexpectedly. Congrats - you found a reason it might be needed.

What about flying indoor?
You can not count on GPS and should be able to fly manually.

dmr said:
What about flying indoor?
You can not count on GPS and should be able to fly manually.

you can still use ATTI indoors which is very different from manual - ATTI at least tried to maintain level flight whereas Manual will only level on user input.

RhythMick said:
Only thing I can see is I watched a video theorising that flyways would result from the P2V+ thinking it was more than 1500(?)m from it's home position and deciding to head there. Wouldn't switching to ATTI give you control though ? Any circumstances where you would need to switch to manual to regain control ?
No, the priority is to return to the fence whether you are in ATTI or GPS.
Limits%20of%20Special%20Area.jpg

If you have a fence set up in your Phantom Assistant and for whatever reason the stored home location gets corrupted or the GPS data is corrupted, then your Phantom's priority is to get back to the fence irregardless of inputs from the controller. Manual mode is the only way to stop the flyaway in this case.

Learning to fly in manual mode will make you a better pilot, but start practicing at altitude. When you switch from a hover to manual, the aircraft will descend because the throttle in the hover position is not enough power to stay aloft in manual mode. Also, in manual mode the speed limits are off. If you are fighting a headwind to RTH in GPS mode, switching to ATTI will give you a little more speed, but switching to manual gives you more control. You may want to sacrifice altitude for forward speed, for example.

AFAIK the Hubsan in "Expert" mode still have gyro assistance... the P2 has no assistance whatsoever in manual mode..
Here's a video of someone accidentally switching into manual mode instead of ATTI mode.. (full switch down)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq1yQEZmZmQ[/youtube]

ouch, rather you than me!

TeamYankee said:
AFAIK the Hubsan in "Expert" mode still have gyro assistance... the P2 has no assistance whatsoever in manual mode..
Here's a video of someone accidentally switching into manual mode instead of ATTI mode.. (full switch down)

ouch, rather you than me!

Always love the way it switches to death metal before the crash!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik