Atti mode question

Reaction score
If you are flying inside a building in atti mode (where there's obviously no wind) and you stop the P3, and then center the controls, should the copter hold position? Mine drifts backward when I release the controls. I always need pressure on the controls to hover.

Is this normal, or do I need to adjust 'something'? If I do, what might that be?

Thanks!
Tom

Not sure on the dji. But my other quad did. There is wind made from the quad itself.

Do you have the vision positioning system active? I thought that was supposed to assist with indoor flying.

I've never tried it. But from the manual.

Flight Mode
Three flight modes are available. The details of each flight mode are found below:
P-mode (Positioning) : P-mode works best when GPS signal is strong. There are three different states of
P-mode, which will be automatically selected by the Phantom 3 Advanced depending on signal strength
of GPS and Vision Positioning sensors :
P-GPS: GPS and Vision Positioning both are available. The aircraft is using GPS for positioning.
P-OPTI: Vision Positioning is available but the GPS signal strength is not sufficient. The aircraft is
using only the Vision Positioning System for positioning.
P-ATTI: Neither GPS nor Vision Positioning is available. The aircraft is using only its barometer for
positioning, so only altitude can be stabilized.
A-mode (Attitude): GPS and Vision Positioning System are not used for stabilization. The aircraft only uses
its barometer. The aircraft can still automatically return to the home point if the control signal is lost and
the Home Point was recorded successfully.
F-mode (Function): Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) is activated in this mode. For more information
about IOC, refer to the IOC section in the Appendix.

Flying a P2 was like that for sure. There are no trim tabs on Phantoms. There are small currents in the room and it moves "on its own". With a P3, if VPS is enabled and has a lock on the floor pattern, it should hover pretty well in place. I found it was only so-so when I tested in my living room so just disabled it. I've only ever done one real photo shoot in doors (in a smallish gym with a P2V+ - harder than you might think).

So yeah.. VPS should assist with flight in doors. I believe it is only useful when you are within 10 feet of surface. So if you are in a large building flying more than 10 feet up it will be of no assistance. Also if the surface is flat e.g. no noticeable patterns VPS will not help.

If you are flying inside a building in atti mode (where there's obviously no wind) and you stop the P3, and then center the controls, should the copter hold position? Mine drifts backward when I release the controls. I always need pressure on the controls to hover.

Is this normal, or do I need to adjust 'something'? If I do, what might that be?

Thanks!
Tom
Tom I have tried flying indoors, and yes there is drift, it will float a little bit and you have to be ever active with the sticks to keep the quad steady, I learnt that the hard way! Watching many YouTube videos, it looks like it's the same for most people, if there's ever a video where the quad is perfectly steady, it's if there is a good pattern rug or some thing similar that the vision positioning system can lock on to, then the aircraft stays put. I actually tried flying around manually outside as well (switched it to NON-GPS from the controller) and it drifts (this was above asphalt, so not much of a pattern again for it to lock on to). I think dji still needs to perfect a NON-GPS system for the phantoms that will keep it locked steady where you release it. Till then! Avoid flying indoors, practice NON-GPS flying outdoors till you get a good grip of manual flying and hover control, I learnt that the hard way :p

Thanks!
Tom
Tom! Update on the topic; today I flew in a parking garage (underground, just one level) and I was on "P" - "SAFE TO FLY NON-GPS" with no satellites showing up on my screen. It held beautifully, however the aft lights were blinking green (which had me a bit confused since it was a NON-GPS flight). I then switched to "A" on the controller, that's when I had some drift, not a whole lot, but some! Then I got the hell out of there because there was a fire down there a few months ago, and I noticed my quad was going grey! Because all the soot hadn't been cleaned out of there properly! and I've just spent 20 minutes alco-wiping my quad .. it's still a BIT grey :, (

Tom! Update on the topic; today I flew in a parking garage (underground, just one level) and I was on "P" - "SAFE TO FLY NON-GPS" with no satellites showing up on my screen. It held beautifully, however the aft lights were blinking green (which had me a bit confused since it was a NON-GPS flight). I then switched to "A" on the controller, that's when I had some drift, not a whole lot, but some! Then I got the hell out of there because there was a fire down there a few months ago, and I noticed my quad was going grey! Because all the soot hadn't been cleaned out of there properly! and I've just spent 20 minutes alco-wiping my quad .. it's still a BIT grey :, (
Check and clean motors and props too, they are the first to get affected by dirt of the environment.

Reactions: dsp3a

Thank you to everyone who replied. I guess my experience with the "A" mode is to be expected. I find it interesting that the "P" mode would fly even better without satellites. I didn't even try that mode inside the hangar I was in because I assumed it wouldn't function at all. I'll have to try that next time.

I do like to fly in "A" mode to hone my skills (that is until I crash my P3a!!)

More experimenting to be done!

Tom

If you are switched on the controller to ATTI, you do not have vision positioning or any other positioning. The quad will drift. Also, if you start to fly in any direction, then center the sticks, it will just keep going, gradually slowing due to drag. you have to actively apply opposite stick direction to stop it. Good to practice when you have lots of space with no obstacles, or even better with a cheap quad like an x5 or something. It will save your quad should you ever lose GPS while flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4