Atti mode flying

Reaction score
Ok, I have been practise flying in atti mode and I'm feeling pretty comfortable with it, what happens if I loose all gps sat while flying atti? I'm to chicken to test it. Do I just lose my home lock and rth? I used to try and fly 3d nitro helis and they were a chore, I'm scared that's how it's going to react.

If you drop below 6 satellites, your Phantom will default ti atti mode and have no idea where home is or how to get there.
But if you have a recent Phantom or an old one with the foil mod and you are flying in the open, you are almost certain to have quite a few more than 6 sats all the time. You'd have to fly in a deep valley or fly low between high buildings or trees to obscure your horizon to lose sat lock.

Atti mode still keeps the phantom stabilised like gps mode, it just doesnt hold the phantons position hands off

Nothing happens in Atti if you loose GPS satelites. That is the point of Atti, it relies only on altitude readings from barometer, I think.

I use atti whenever I don't have enough satelites or fly somewhere inside.

Exactly the replies I was looking for. I wanted to fly into a large arena in atti mode but wasn't sure if it would even stay stable by its self. I was scared it would react like the 3d helis and its been to many years to try and control one of these. I explain to people that flying nitro 3d helis was like trying to balance a bowling ball on top of another bowling ball... Thanks for the help guys.

You should do fine flying inside an arena in atti mode, just be aware of any air currents inside the arena. Depending on what type of arena you are talking about, some can be quite strong.

If you can fly 3d helicopters, even manual mode should be fairly easy for you.

gps: keeps phantom level when you let off the sticks and keeps it from drifting around too much
atti: keeps phantom level when you let off the sticks, but allows it to drift around until you stop it
manual: doesn't level out when you let off the sticks, drifts around, more power, and actually flies similar to a 4 channel heli at 100% cyclic rates, or cp helis without the negative pitch control.

I didn't say I could fly the helis. Lol
I could gently hover and fly them around but way to stressful for me, also way to expensive to fix. These are much more entertaining.

jasonnelson007 said:
I could gently hover and fly them around but way to stressful for me, also way to expensive to fix. These are much more entertaining.

You can say that again! I've been trying to fly my master cp for a while now with not much luck. I can hover it and fly around very slowly, but almost every other flight ends in a crash, and every crash ends with at least one thing getting broke. I even had a simple tipover with it and it stripped 2 servos and bent one of the little thinggies that connect the swashplate to the blades. In fact, it's sitting on a table with it's rx and esc zip tied to the battery tray because the spot they were on just broke off. I still have to put the new servos on it, but I've just been busy. I might try out r/c planes instead since I heard they were fairly easy to fly. lol (oh, and sorry for the mini rant.)

jasonnelson007 said:

Totally agree. I was ok at flying heli's never got into 3d... But I found that unless I flew a LOT I rarely got comfortable enough to truly enjoy it.

I sold all my CP helis after two weeks with a phantom because I was enjoying flight so much more.

I agree with all the people who say you don't need to worry about GPS sats on atti.. Unless you plan to switch back to GPS mode. But I have never encountered an issue with losing enough satellites to be a problem.

jasonnelson007 said:
Exactly the replies I was looking for. I wanted to fly into a large arena in atti mode but wasn't sure if it would even stay stable by its self. I was scared it would react like the 3d helis and its been to many years to try and control one of these. I explain to people that flying nitro 3d helis was like trying to balance a bowling ball on top of another bowling ball... Thanks for the help guys.

in GPS mode P2V+ tries to maintain it's position
in ATTI mode P2V+ tries to maintain it's ATTITUDE (tilt, direction). If you push it forward and let the stick centre, it will keep going unless you apply a correction. If the wind pushes it, you'll need to correct.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but based on reading and a handful of flights that's how I understand it.

Wrong.
Please give advice from knowledge or experience, not from wondering. But you might actually asking for advice?
Don't specify this to your model alone, it might confuse people who have the other Phantoms. This applies for ALL Phantoms.

In Atti, when letting go of the sticks, it will NOT maintain tilt and direction. It just levels off, bleeds off the speed and stops and hovers. But it will not correct for wind drift, so when outside with wind, it will drift away from its position. It pitches only when you order it to pitch. Let go and it levels off again. But it won't hold its position with only the slightest breeze. That's where GPS mode is for.

And actually, the slow bleeding off of the speed is a great thing for shooting smooth takes. In GPS mode your gimbal has a lot to cope with. In Atti everything stays smooth. Let go of the sticks and it just keeps on drifting without heavy movements, great for these beautiful wind still evenings. But with a lot of wind I switch back to GPS to be able to relax and think about lining up for the next shot. It is fun to watch it drift with the speed of the wind though and the shots are very stable. Saves also battery time because it's idling while drifting.

lake_flyer said:
Wrong.
Please give advice from knowledge or experience, not from wondering. But you might actually asking for advice?
Don't specify this to your model alone, it might confuse people who have the other Phantoms. This applies for ALL Phantoms.

In Atti, when letting go of the sticks, it will NOT maintain tilt and direction. It just levels off, bleeds off the speed and stops and hovers. But it will not correct for wind drift, so when outside with wind, it will drift away from its position. It pitches only when you order it to pitch. Let go and it levels off again. But it won't hold its position with only the slightest breeze. That's where GPS mode is for.

OK thanks. Yes I was looking for clarity, but didn't word it well.

Does anybody here know if when in Atti mode the barometer is keeping altitude or is it the "centering stick" of the throttle/rudder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.
Atti. mode uses all the sensors in the IMU (which includes the baro.) and the compass.
Centering the stick 'tells' the FC: "maintain this altitude".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1