Atti flying

Reaction score
I haven't tried this out so looking for advice. I have good skills flying Atti. Can I fly the phantom in Atti mode without GPS covereage ? I would think that if I start it up and let it initialize, not get GPS, that once it is done initializing that I can flip to atti and fly wiht no issues. I guess the question, is it in manual mode then or will it still attempt to maintain attitude when sticks are released ? Pretty basic question I know but wanted to hear answers before just trying. Flying this way would be great in my backyard in a smaller space.

Thanks !

Altitude it controlled more by barometer than GPS. And your heading is more controlled by the compass. So, yes, even without GPS your Phantom will try to maintain altitude and heading.

But, the GPS is always technically "on". As long as it has a good lock on 6+ satellites, and, like you said, you wait for your Phantom the fully initialize before lifting off, even in ATTI mode, you can freely switch back into GPS mode at any time and immediately have the GPS assist. So, really, ATTI is nothing to be scared of.

If you're in a location that doesn't have good satellite coverage, ATTI still isn't something to dread. Your Phantom is still going to maintain altitude when you let go of the throttle. It's just going to drift with the wind more and won't keep it's station.

Be careful, though, ATTI is also considerably faster. So, in actuality, it might not be as great for a smaller space as you think.

Thanks for the post. The question is really about flying where you know you will not get GPS. I have no fear of Atti. Feel very confident when I fly in that mode. To date I have always had GPS as a backup in case the bird got ahead of me. I plan on flying where I know that GPS coverage will not be available.

Honestly, if you are on the move ATTI is just fine. The place where GPS is nice is when you are near stuff and hovering and need to take a drink :)

ATTI will help your video quality often if its windy as you are not getting the aircraft movement when its trying to correct.

No, manual mode is different: no automatic stabilisation at all. Don't even think about enabling manual mode unless you've had experience flying "real" RC helis, and if you do decide to enable it, make sure you're at least 50' up to give yourself time to recover when you lose stability.

ATTI maintains elevation based on altimeter. But it doesnt know where its at horizontally because you have the GPS correction turned off (GPS is still on)

So except for drift in wind it pretty much flies the same.

ATTI is kind of like driving a car on ice with no brakes...the only control you have is throttle and steering. Beyond just drifting in the wind, it will also keep on sliding right along after you center the sticks from directional movement, until it runs out of inertia or you counter the movement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers