atti flying question

Reaction score
Having switched my phantom to NAZA I prefer flying in atti mode unless I specifically want the phantom to hold a fixed position such as when taking a picture etc. You definitely become more involved in flying especially in breezy conditions. However, I'm not sure what will happen if I lose controller signal. Will it just land? I'm guessing that it won't return home because its not in GPS mode. Don't want to fly too far away not knowing what will happen if the control signal is lost! Any ideas

So if i read the above naza failsafe flow chart correctly it appears that the phantom will RTH whilst in atti mode if control signal is lost?

Yes.

May be a language barrier issue but that was not clear in your initial post.

The difference between RTH or land in place is always dependent on 6+ GPS lock (and the selection in the P2 assistant) not Flight mode per se.

N017RW said:
Not sure that's always case and may depend on other settings...

That's been my experience as well.
While it's tough to tell, I do believe that the home point is set even if you take off in ATTI mode* (GPS is typically always active, and doesn't "turn off"... it's data is simply ignored when you're flying in ATTI or Manual). So RTH should still work, regardless.

* of course, the exception is if you are in ATTI because you do not have a good satellite lock. And then there's the question of, if you take off without a satellite lock, does home point get registered when a lock finally can occur. All things to test.

But, this is exactly why it's good to test out these scenarios, so you know what will happen. Things like firmware versions might change the behavior, too. So it's a good idea to test yourself, using your platform and your setup, rather than trust the input of others... because things might just be different for you.

I always start my flights in GPS mode, wait for a confirmed home position lock and only then switch to atti. So in this situation I guess that RTH will activate in the event of control signal loss?

Fail-safe will always activate upon signal loss. Where it lands (home or current position) depends on GPS status, settings via the P2 assistant, and correct Home position recording.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic