Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

ATTI Flight

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by spindrift, Sep 28, 2015.

1. spindrift

So, I'm in the Arctic and know the compass is not trust worthy and can't fly GPS. I have the setting on ATTI but I get a small screen saying compass error...calibrate compass. I've calibrated the compass but still get the error and it won't let me power up the machine. Any thoughts why?

2. BikerdudeKC

I've run into this when I'm near metal - I have to move it off my driveway because it detects the rebar.

3. Nizar Ghosn

... you mean in the arctic circle (north or south pole) , man ... what are you doing there ???

villep likes this.
  4. Oso

Oso

Have you been there all this time since early August? Must be awesome.

As you know, DJI says that it can't operate in polar areas so my guess is that you are pushing the envelope with the compass.

Have you been able to fly at all since you arrived?

5. spindrift

I'm working on a govt. project 700kms. north of the Arctic circle.

Nizar Ghosn likes this.
  6. spindrift

I can fly with ATTI (manual) when I can get the thing to stop giving me the compass error message. Wind is a problem this time of year and snow of course. I'm here off 3 and on 3 since June for the next 4 years. GPS flying is not an option with the high metal % in the rock. Tons of iron, zinc and lead.

7. Oso

Oso

I remember you from before a couple of months back. You were wanting to fly near a massive iceberg that was floating nearby. I can only imagine how spectacular that must be. I hope it works for you sir.

8. Albert R.

I'm sorry I can't give you any advice above and beyond what you have already accomplished in ATTI mode. Perhaps you can explore a config file, similar to the 32 channel 'hack', that would override the compass error and allow you to fly. Curious to see if we have any talented and willing programmers that would be able to help. It would be great publicity for DJI so I would ask them for a similar config file or customized firmware if you have a reasonable means of communicating with them.
    Sorry you are having to deal with this shortcoming but what an amazing experience to add to your resume.
    Good luck, keep us posted and stay warm!
    Regards,
    Albert

9. Laura Millard

Hi
    I realize this is unrelated directly but I'm looking for posts where people have flown and filmed inside dense forests where the gps signal is low (3 satellites) Is atto mode the only option or does the Phantom 3 provide any easier flying than the vision 2+ in these conditions?

10. spindrift

I got some poor quality video of the berg, however, I was very nervous of the ATTI mode as well as the wind flying over ice. Also I'm very dissapointed in the screen glare that is ever prevelant even with the couple of shades I have. I've resorted to throwing a towel over my head and the screen to help the matter. I look like a pervert but it works.

11. spindrift

I can fly...eventually. I calibrate the compass once and sometimes twice and keep trying to arm the motors until they engage. Sometimes it 2 mins. and other times 10. Sometimes its used 15% of the battery before it will work? Not sure I want to reconfigure the compass error as it may be of use in the south. I understood that in ATTI mode the compass and GPS was out of play.

12. D4T_PoM

Send some video's through....would love to see

13. nhoover

Where are you? I am going to Svalbard (Lat up to 80N) next summer and am very curious about flying up there.

14. Nizar Ghosn

yeah i see, be safe, take care and stay warm ... Regards Nizar !!!

15. spindrift

I'm in the Canadian Arctic in Nanisivik about 40kms. north of Arctic Bay. As I have said earlier, you have to fly manual here. Not real cold here yet(-13) so if you keep your battaries warm, you should be fine. You'll be about the same Lat as northern Baffin Island so the conditions will be roughly the same as here. Long summer days(24hrs) to confuse you. Enjoy..it grows on you.

nhoover likes this.
  16. nickyb

Maybe being that far north, not only GPS issues but also magnetic north maybe an issue. Just an idea.

17. Darmie

Is anything different when hand launch?

18. brianb87

Thinking same thing..

spindrift likes this.
  19. spindrift

Tried that but have no better luck. I ofted catch it if the wind is down.

20. R2-D2

This is a great forum and from reading it for weeks now I'm sure it has given me so many helpful tips on how not to crash my flying tripod toy..

I have a noob quick. I often read about being prepared for 'panic mode' incase your P3P has compass issues and starts to fly away. You can switch to ATTI mode to get back control over it in GPS flying mode.

I've watched the 3-5 mile range videos and noticed they often switch to ATTI mode while deep in flight. Here is my question. If you lose signal with the P3P and attempt to switch to GPS P mode. How does that work/or not? Would the P3P just RTH because of signal RC loss? Does RTH work in ATTI mode or just P GPS mode?