ATTI - First flight help

Reaction score
Hi guys - This is my first post on this site as I am new to PhantomPilots.com. I have a P3A, and have been flying for a few months. Every single flight I've had has been in P-GPS mode thus far, and I've heard that ATTI mode should allow me to go a little faster. I'm wanting to make my first ATTI flight, but have a few questions before I make the jump. Please see below:

(1) Is it true that the only difference between ATTI and P-GPS is that ATTI won't lock in a point? In other words, when you take your fingers off the sticks, P-GPS will keep the P3 in that position... but my understanding is that ATTI does not do this, in that if there is a breeze of wind or something then the P3 can be pushed away. Is this correct? Is this the only difference?

(2) I want to be 1000% sure that my RTH/Failsafe still work. If I have a loss of video and/or RC signal, will my RTH/Failsafe still kick in as usual as it would have in P-GPS mode? If not, I certainly don't want to use ATTI mode as this is the single most important and deciding factor for me.

(3) What is the proper method of engaging ATTI mode? Do I have to do anything in the DJI GO app? Do I just set it using the switches on the transmitter? Something else that I'm missing?

(4) If I start flying P-GPS, can I switch to ATTI mid-flight? What about vice-versa?

(5) Assuming zero wind... what is usually the speed difference on a stock P3 when flying ATTI vs flying P-GPS?

(6) Is there anything else that I should know about ATTI mode?

Thank you all in advance. I look forward to being an active and contributing member to this site.

Cheers,
Ehsan

1) That's the only real documented difference. But, your Phantom will fly a bit faster in ATTI too, so there must be some other subtle differences.
2) Yes.
3) Switch the "PAF" switch to "A" on your remote controller.
4) Yes.
5) This is not documented and it would be tough to measure since there is rarely zero wind.
6) Test it above all trees and other obstacles.

Reactions: Ehsan
Hi guys - This is my first post on this site as I am new to PhantomPilots.com. I have a P3A, and have been flying for a few months. Every single flight I've had has been in P-GPS mode thus far, and I've heard that ATTI mode should allow me to go a little faster. I'm wanting to make my first ATTI flight, but have a few questions before I make the jump. Please see below:

(1) Is it true that the only difference between ATTI and P-GPS is that ATTI won't lock in a point? In other words, when you take your fingers off the sticks, P-GPS will keep the P3 in that position... but my understanding is that ATTI does not do this, in that if there is a breeze of wind or something then the P3 can be pushed away. Is this correct? Is this the only difference?

(2) I want to be 1000% sure that my RTH/Failsafe still work. If I have a loss of video and/or RC signal, will my RTH/Failsafe still kick in as usual as it would have in P-GPS mode? If not, I certainly don't want to use ATTI mode as this is the single most important and deciding factor for me.

(3) What is the proper method of engaging ATTI mode? Do I have to do anything in the DJI GO app? Do I just set it using the switches on the transmitter? Something else that I'm missing?

(4) If I start flying P-GPS, can I switch to ATTI mid-flight? What about vice-versa?

(5) Assuming zero wind... what is usually the speed difference on a stock P3 when flying ATTI vs flying P-GPS?

(6) Is there anything else that I should know about ATTI mode?

Thank you all in advance. I look forward to being an active and contributing member to this site.

Cheers,
Ehsan

Hi Ehsan,
Welcome BTW.
I have done over 10 hours (300km) on my P3P.
Recently there was a discussion about P-GPS versus ATTI on this site and the guys were swearing that only a tail wind will make the P3 travel faster
under Atti.(It was like telling me Santa Claus doesn't exist) And I doubted them a little.
Now, I am having major issues with my P3 - think its firmware - So I have been flying my Phantom 2 (this is for work).

I prefer to fly ATTI anyway.Though as the other poster warns watch out for obstacles you can drift in to things if not concentrating.
Also speaking of obstacles - tink about going into advanced settings and nominating a RTH height.
I have mine set to climb 50 metres on RTH initiation.
Wow, really noticing the lack of power but I do believe the Phantom 2 is a whole lot faster in Atti mode.

I always start in GPS then flip to ATTI mode. The biggest thing I notice is if there is a crosswind you'll start drifting. The wind plays a big factor in ATTI. The other day I had a big tailwind and switched to ATTI and it got up to 56mph. Then when I tried to stop it keep going.

Reactions: Farmer and Ehsan
I always start in GPS then flip to ATTI mode. The biggest thing I notice is if there is a crosswind you'll start drifting. The wind plays a big factor in ATTI. The other day I had a big tailwind and switched to ATTI and it got up to 56mph. Then when I tried to stop it keep going.

Why always flip to Atti mode? Is GPS not easier and more precise?

GPS is easier. Just like to mix it up. It really depends where I am flying.

plus, it's good to practice and get proficient at atti mode flying because you just may get into an emergency situation where GPS mode is not an option!

Atti mode flying is tricky when windy and/or in tight spaces so fly in Atti mode and get good at it!

All your worries/questions can be answered by trying the builtin flight simulator in the Go app. You could try all the features of the actual bird in the simulator including rth and ioc functions.

1) That's the only real documented difference. But, your Phantom will fly a bit faster in ATTI too, so there must be some other subtle differences.
2) Yes.
3) Switch the "PAF" switch to "A" on your remote controller.
4) Yes.
5) This is not documented and it would be tough to measure since there is rarely zero wind.
6) Test it above all trees and other obstacles.

@msinger - Thank you for your help. Quick question, for #2 you stated that I should switch to "A" on the "PAF" switch. What about the DJI GO App? I see something there saying "enable multiple flight modes". Does that relate to ATTI at all, and should that be on or off?

Thanks again - Liked :)

Hi Ehsan,
Welcome BTW.
Recently there was a discussion about P-GPS versus ATTI on this site and the guys were swearing that only a tail wind will make the P3 travel faster
under Atti.(It was like telling me Santa Claus doesn't exist) And I doubted them a little.
Now, I am having major issues with my P3 - think its firmware - So I have been flying my Phantom 2 (this is for work).

I prefer to fly ATTI anyway.Though as the other poster warns watch out for obstacles you can drift in to things if not concentrating.
Also speaking of obstacles - tink about going into advanced settings and nominating a RTH height.
Wow, really noticing the lack of power but I do believe the Phantom 2 is a whole lot faster in Atti mode.

@Farmer - Thank you very much for all your help and the generous welcome. I absolutely agree with you that ATTI should help with the speed. Of course, I don't know this by first hand experience... but based on my readings of what other people have written here in the forums, this seems to be the case. Setting a RTH is a must, as you stated, and this is the first thing I do every flight. Just to confirm, you enable ATTI by going using the "A" on the "PAF" switch right? Anything you do in the app itself to ensure that ATTI is engaged? As well, has your failsafe ever kicked in while in ATTI? Has it performed the same as it would have in GPS mode?
Thanks again, and congratulations on getting >300km on your bird... this is truly amazing. Liked :)

@brianb87 - 56mph is just a ridiculously fast speed :) Thank you for the heads up on ATTI and crosswing.. will make a note of it. Liked :)

Reactions: brianb87
All your worries/questions can be answered by trying the builtin flight simulator in the Go app. You could try all the features of the actual bird in the simulator including rth and ioc functions.

Thank you @Bronson ...I'll need to re-read the manual and find out how to get into simulation mode. Liked :)

Hi Ehsan,
Welcome BTW.

hello Farmer. what are your issues with the phantom 3 ?. do you think its firmware related.. what firmware are you on.

@Farmer - Thank you very much for all your help and the generous welcome. I absolutely agree with you that ATTI should help with the speed. Of course, I don't know this by first hand experience... but based on my readings of what other people have written here in the forums, this seems to be the case. Setting a RTH is a must, as you stated, and this is the first thing I do every flight. Just to confirm, you enable ATTI by going using the "A" on the "PAF" switch right? Anything you do in the app itself to ensure that ATTI is engaged? As well, has your failsafe ever kicked in while in ATTI? Has it performed the same as it would have in GPS mode?
Thanks again, and congratulations on getting >300km on your bird... this is truly amazing. Liked :)

Hi again Ehsan, Yep just switch it to "A".
Like Brianb87, I always start in GPS and then flip to ATTI.
The reason is, all my flights depart from my house as I use my P3 to check on stock (cows) and other things.I have obstructions around and sometimes strong winds.
Dont like to fly in wind but sometimes I have to.
Gps to clear obstacles and then to Atti.
Same with landing switch back to GPS and hand catch everytime.
Thinking back for a Atti failsafe kick in - not sure - but am sure it would.
Cheers

hello Farmer. what are your issues with the phantom 3 ?. do you think its firmware related.. what firmware are you on.
Hi Lotusteve, I upgraded to the v1.4 and thats when my troubles started.
I think I have had a combination of problems that have kept me grounded.
First I am a newbie when it comes to ipads (apple stuff in general) bought ipad mini just for this bird.
So the apple upgrade v9? which I subsequently discovered had compatibilty issues with go app I was advised as a newbie NOT to try and go back to an earlier version.
ALSO my USB micro sd card reader stopped working and my backup one kept telling me my sd cards were all write protected
when they werent - so I was unable to successfully retreat to an earlier version of the FW.
And when I did get a new USB microSD card reader well was unable to go back to 1.3.20 because of a bin file or something.
Whet I was experiencing was LOST CONNECTION - even though Controller was right by the P3, and freezing screen as well.
Cheers.

Hi Lotusteve, I upgraded to the v1.4 and thats when my troubles started.
I think I have had a combination of problems that have kept me grounded.
First I am a newbie when it comes to ipads (apple stuff in general) bought ipad mini just for this bird.
So the apple upgrade v9? which I subsequently discovered had compatibilty issues with go app I was advised as a newbie NOT to try and go back to an earlier version.
ALSO my USB micro sd card reader stopped working and my backup one kept telling me my sd cards were all write protected
when they werent - so I was unable to successfully retreat to an earlier version of the FW.
And when I did get a new USB microSD card reader well was unable to go back to 1.3.20 because of a bin file or something.
Whet I was experiencing was LOST CONNECTION - even though Controller was right by the P3, and freezing screen as well.
Cheers.
cheers for the info... i have had my p3a since last week, it was on 1.1.9 and flew spot on. but wanted the new firmware (just to be upto date) so i put it on and all went fine with the controler and the bird. done all my imu calibrations and gimbal calibrations and every thing looks ok at the moment. its been pi**ing down in sheffield for the last few days so i have not been out with it yet, might get out this afternoon to see how things go. i will let you know.

Reactions: Ehsan and Farmer
Like most take I take off in P-GPS and after gaining some height and hovering if you flip to ati you get an instant idea of what the wind is like as wind speeds on the ground can vary massively,you can always flip back to p-gps at this point and be confident of what the wind is doing.But if on a long range mission i always use ati as it does increase your speed.

The best way to learn how to fly in atti mode is... fly cheap mini or micro quad. They behaves similar to P3 in ATTI mode so you will learn that you have to give opposite input after you let go your right stick because quad will drift in the direction it was moving. I have spend many hours flying for fun small quads (Latrax alias, hubsan X4, CX10 ) and 250's so after that flying in atti mode is not a proble. I suggest to everyone who have never flown in atti to train on cheap quads.

Reactions: snowghost and Ehsan
Allow your phantom to hover close to you and take hold of the landing skid and move the quad to one side it will resist and based on GPS positioning will give signal to the four props to keep the position. You would think that while the four props are getting continuous signals which may not be in line with the 100% forward pitch .It makes sense that the props may be working in several directions when in P-GPS mode.
Using ATTI mode in my opinion could be faster. Wind dependent. The phantom will drift with the wind.
I use it mostly while filming letting the phantom drift towards me in the wind. Gives nice effect. Also uses little power as the wind is doing the work. Although you can be using more in the outbound flight heading into the wind . It's worth the effect you get.

Last edited:
Hi again Ehsan, Yep just switch it to "A".
Like Brianb87, I always start in GPS and then flip to ATTI.
The reason is, all my flights depart from my house as I use my P3 to check on stock (cows) and other things.I have obstructions around and sometimes strong winds.
Dont like to fly in wind but sometimes I have to.
Gps to clear obstacles and then to Atti.
Same with landing switch back to GPS and hand catch everytime.
Thinking back for a Atti failsafe kick in - not sure - but am sure it would.
Cheers

Very helpful @Farmer. Cheers and liked! :)

Reactions: lotusteve

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20