ATTENTION UAV COMMUNITY

Reaction score
Food for thought.... Can we, the UAV community stop calling them 'drones'? Makes 'em sound like they're lethal with missles and high powered guns. ' UAV' or 'quad-copter' sounds less threatening imo. Anyone else have thoughts on the subject????

There have been several discussions here on this topic.
I think "drone" has become a permanent part of our lexicon so it will be easier to change the public's view of what a drone is than
than attempt to introduce a new word with a new definition.

Been there, tried that.

People will ask me, "What's that thing?" I tried, "A flying camera". They immediately asked, "What's a flying camera?"

Other people ask me, "What's that thing?" I reply, "A quadcopter". They immediately ask, "What's a quadcopter?"

I get asked, "What's that thing?" I tried, "A UAV". They immediately resond with, "Is that like a UFO?"

But as soon as I reply, "It's a drone", they get it immediately and say, "Oh, that's so cool!".

The term 'drone' is here to stay. Live with it. You're fighting a raging forest fire with a garden hose.

I agree with the sentiment but in fact they are drones in the same way aircraft carriers and canoes are boats.

The term drone will persist because it has fewer syllables than all the other options.

This topic has been debated ad nausem across the internet. It's like arguing about car vs automobile...sure the latter is accurate but it's also far less efficient.

480sparky said:
Been there, tried that.

People will ask me, "What's that thing?" I tried, "A flying camera". They immediately asked, "What's a flying camera?"

Other people ask me, "What's that thing?" I reply, "A quadcopter". They immediately ask, "What's a quadcopter?"

I get asked, "What's that thing?" I tried, "A UAV". They immediately resond with, "Is that like a UFO?"

But as soon as I reply, "It's a drone", they get it immediately and say, "Oh, that's so cool!".

The term 'drone' is here to stay. Live with it. You're fighting a raging forest fire with a garden hose.

This basically. If I say UAV or Quad-Copter, people tend to be clueless. If I say Drone they have some idea. A surprising amount of people here wont even ask what it is. They'll say nice helicopter :lol:

I seem to be one of the few people that don't have a problem with the term drone. I mean, it can be sitting on the ground not even turned on and I can press one button and then put no more controls and it'll go out fly to a mission and come back on its own. Is that not the definition of a drone?

I usually call them quadcopters, but every time someone asked me about it, they recognized is as being a drone as well. I thought people in my little town would be afraid of them but surprisingly everyone I talked to about it were interested and some told me some good uses for it or said they also flew planes/helicopters or something like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers